Thread: Best Fix for my Batwing?

Default Best Fix for my Batwing?

I have an import Harmony Batwing Mandolin (model number 8026) that needs a new set of tuning machines. Unfortunately, standard (cheap replacement tuners) will not work. Another attempt to fix the problem was made with I placed a question here in a forum a couple weeks ago. At that time I received a set of Harmony Replacement Tuners (new/old stock or slightly used, but in the original box) Unfortunately these tuning machines (part no. 2124P) don't work either. The spacing on these simply doesn't match up with the originals either, even though they are slightly closer than the standard everyday sets.

If it helps any, the knobs on this set are plastic, not metal.

All that being said, obviously I'm still looking for a set of working tuners or really just some parts to fix mine. The only thing is that I need them to match. Can anyone out there help?

Thanks-- and I really appreciate you reading!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	122192

Default Re: Best Fix for my Batwing?

What is the post to post measurement,center to center?
    Hughes F-5 #1
    Hughes A model #1
    1922 Gibson A-2
    1958 Gibson A-5

Looks to me like you just need the button, correct? Check parts sellers on eBay, selling similar vintage Harmony GUITAR tuners from the late 60's/early 70's made in Japan, as long as the button is a match. You might not even need to buy a complete set, just getting one side should work to "harvest" a button. Yank it, then glue that sucker on!!!

Stew-Mac will have workable buttons. They used to have a nice how-to video for installation posted on their site, as well.
    Blow on, man.

I don't think he is talking about buttons but rather that the posts are not centered on the holes in the headstock... But if the only problem is replacing a plastic button then yes.,. that is an easy fix, and it will take only a few minutes. Normally when I did it I heated the shaft and it will kind of melt the plastic as you shove it onto the shaft creating its own fit,.,,, If, on the other hand the hole is too big for the shaft then you can use a little epoxy in the hole and when the shaft is inserted it will be surrounded by the liquid epoxy and will fit solidly as the epoxy cures. Again, an easy process and will not require replacing the entire set of tuners. There are several sites on the internet telling how to install plastic tuner buttons but I think they normally come from Stumac with instructions.

The only other option would be to remove all tuners. Use a dowel of correct size to fill the holes and re-drill the holes to fit the different tuners. A lot of accurate work but it certainly can be done. But unless you can drill the holes accurately it will probably be more work than it is worth.