Thread: Look what I found

Default Look what I found

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	122407

Found these on a nameless internet auction site Now I just need to learn how to play Duo Style
    1919 Gibson A3
    1920 Gibson A2
    1937 Gibson K1 Mandocello
    2015 Eastman Bowlback

Default Re: Look what I found

Its not quite as hard as it looks. The Pettine books should get you there.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

3. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Reading this as I have my Saturday morning coffee I have to ponder, "how come I never find these little nuggets when I search nameless auction sites or garage and estate sales?"
    MLT
    Oregon Mandolin Orchestra
    Classical Mandolin Society of America
    Labraid Cytole

Well I think that I just got lucky. I've had the Duo Primer for about 6 months but I just happened to find the other one very late in the evening. It was "newly listed" and a buy it now with a good price.
    1919 Gibson A3
    1920 Gibson A2
    2015 Eastman Bowlback

Wonderful find, John. If they're out of copyright, is there any chance they could be scanned and shared?

I bought my first set of these from a member of the Pettine family many years ago. I am not sure about copyrights but I seem to recall that GP renewed copyright at some time. The folks in the Providence Mandolin Orchestra had been in touch with the family. Bear in mind that this thread dates from almost a year ago.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

The Duo Primer is copyright 1909 for all countries and the Duo Style is 1900 with International copyright secured. As Jim said, if the Pettine family has renewed the copyright, it might not be in the public domain for sometime to come.
    I suggest to keep looking on the most wonderful internet bidding sites to find copies of these.
    btw Jim...It isn't as hard as it looks. I have been making progress on it
    1919 Gibson A3
    1920 Gibson A2
    2015 Eastman Bowlback

Pettine's son, Joseph, renewed the copyright in 1967, so I believe the Pettine method is not yet in the public domain.

FWIW, if I were teaching students today to play duo style or studying it myself, I would not use the Pettine method. I know the different volumes very well, and I know his duo style arrangements. I can think of none of the arrangements that I would perform for a modern audience (they are, in other words, very out of date). There are excellent exercises to learn duo style in Marga Wilden-Husgen's book, "Technical Studies for Mandolin" (German, only), available from Trekel. If I wanted to use an early 20th century method for some reason, the Calace method is better, in my opinion, for this purpose -- and Calace's various pieces in duo style, such as the Preludes or any of the easier pieces, can easily be programmed into a modern recital.
    Robert A. Margo

Quote Originally Posted by margora View Post
    Pettine's son, Joseph, renewed the copyright in 1967, so I believe the Pettine method is not yet in the public domain.
    Depends on the country. In the US, all copyrights prior to 1923 are deemed to have expired, regardless of renewal and regardless of the date of death of the authory (Link). Other countries have other laws, and in the EU it's life+70 years. As Pettine died in 1966 (49 years ago), it will be another 21 years. In countries with life+50 years terms (Canada, for example), the methods will be public domain next year.

Martin

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

I can think of none of the arrangements that I would perform for a modern audience (they are, in other words, very out of date).
    Now you have me wondering, just what would make such an arrangement "out of date"?

Probably like many of us non-classical folks, I'm assuming that "duo style" means a second mandolin playing in harmony to the lead, maybe with some backup chords and/or counter-melodies or fills. Or is that exactly the point of the "out of date" comment?

I suspect that a sentence of two would educate many of us. Thanks in advance!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by EdHanrahan View Post
    Probably like many of us non-classical folks, I'm assuming that "duo style" means a second mandolin playing in harmony to the lead, maybe with some backup chords and/or counter-melodies or fills. Or is that exactly the point of the "out of date" comment?
    No, duo style is a very specific classical technique involving two parts being played on one single mandolin simultaneously. This is done by combining a tremolo melody line with interspersed staccato bass notes. In order for the bass notes to be in time, you need a precisely-measured tremolo, which is at the heart of duo-style technique.

For a more modern treatment of this and other classical techniques, check out the brand new book by August Watters (Link) -- I'm waiting for my copy, but knowing August and seeing the list of topics, this should be very good indeed!

Martin

Here's an example of duo-style.

14. The following members say thank you to Peewee for this post:

Blog Entries

Duo style is playing two voices at the same time on one instrument. There are trio style passages in some piece too.
    It's done by slight of hand technique that performs little pickpocketing tricks to steal the tune out from under a continuing accompanying line or passing chords. It's a very effective smoke and mirrors technique which seems to have been advanced in the U.S. to a high degree an reimported to Europe following that.

(What they said -slow typist here)
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

16. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post:

"Depends on the country. In the US, all copyrights prior to 1923 are deemed to have expired, regardless of renewal and regardless of the date of death of the authory (Link). Other countries have other laws, and in the EU it's life+70 years. As Pettine died in 1966 (49 years ago), it will be another 21 years. In countries with life+50 years terms (Canada, for example), the methods will be public domain next year."

I agree with Martin. It will be some time before the Pettine Method is public domain in Europe or the US but it will be very soon in Canada, so presumably someone will post the method to IMSLP next year, with the obligatory caution on downloading.

"Probably like many of us non-classical folks, I'm assuming that "duo style" means a second mandolin playing in harmony to the lead, maybe with some backup chords and/or counter-melodies or fills"

That would be incorrect. Duo-style is performed by one mandolin, where the melody is played with tremolo, and the accompaniment is staccato (or tremolo-staccato as it is called in Germany). It is standard technique for classical mandolinists at an advanced level. The modern master in the US is Evan Marshall, whose method book on duo style is excellent (although incomplete, in the sense that it would not fully prepare someone to play Calace).

"Now you have me wondering, just what would make such an arrangement "out of date"?"

Out of date in terms of thematic material (unless one thinks "Home Sweet Home" makes a good concert item today) and of their period in terms of the arrangement (harmony, for example, very simple). The duo style arrangements in the method were meant for amateurs and they emphasized sentimental folk tunes, some popular items of the day, Civil War songs, Stephen Foster, and the like. Of his concert style arrangements, there is one in manuscript which was published in the Mandolin Quarterly that includes as one of the themes (as I recall, I don't have it handy) "Old Black Joe". I don't think one should perform this in public today. It is debatable whether one should perform the concert arrangement of "My Old Kentucky Home" (which is quite different from the version published in the method). I wouldn't, but perhaps someone doing the mandolin-equivalent of early music would.

I have, as well, played Pettine's original works, and would also not program any of them today.
    Robert A. Margo

Watching Evan's excellent rendition of Ave Maria makes me think that playing Duo Style hurts!

"Depends on the country. In the US, all copyrights prior to 1923 are deemed to have expired, regardless of renewal and regardless of the date of death of the authory (Link). Other countries have other laws, and in the EU it's life+70 years. As Pettine died in 1966 (49 years ago), it will be another 21 years. In countries with life+50 years terms (Canada, for example), the methods will be public domain next year."

I agree with Martin. It will be some time before the Pettine Method is public domain in Europe or the US but it will be very soon in Canada, so presumably someone will post the method to IMSLP next year, with the obligatory caution on downloading.
    Robert: my reading of the link I gave is that "life + 70 years" applies in the US only to works published since 1978. Works published before 1923 are out of copyright, regardless of author's date of death. That would mean the Pettine Methods that John has (published 1900 and 1907) are already out of copyright in the US now, but not in Europe.

Martin

Hi Martin, the edition I own, in seven volumes, was reprinted in 1967 by Joseph Pettine from the 4th edition of the original method. Two of the volumes indicate a copyright date of 1967, which was presumably filed by Joseph Pettine shortly after his father's death. The publisher is the Rhode Island Music Co. (which I believe Joseph inherited from his father). There are differences in external format (e.g. the cover) from the originals. Volume 6 of my edition has text in English, French, Italian, and German; I do not know if this is also true of the original. Bottom line: I am inferring that the edition I own is, in fact, still under US copyright. I agree with you that this may not be true of editions prior to the 4th. The 1900 version is the first edition, for example. Pettine had only one son (his wife died in childbirth); I do not know if Joseph had descendants.
    Robert A. Margo

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Martin, Eoin, & Robert: Thank you!
    Your thoughtful responses have probably educated far beyond just me.

As to Evan Marshall's "Ave Maria": WOW!!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

22. The following members say thank you to EdHanrahan for this post: