Thread: Workshop & concert with The Matt Flinner Trio & Harmonious Wail

Default Workshop & concert with The Matt Flinner Trio & Harmonious Wail

Hi,

On Saturday November 8th, Mechanic Street House Concerts in Cleveland, Ohio will be hosting a concert with The Matt Flinner Trio (chamber grass/new acoustic) and Harmonious Wail (gypsy swing). Earlier that afternoon, Matt Flinner & Sims Delaney-Potthoff (from Harmonious Wail) will be doing 4 hours of workshops.

See mechanicstreetmusic.com for more concert info or click here for workshop info.

About the performers & instructors:

“Flinner continues his reign as perhaps the most exciting and creative mandolin player on the scene today.”—Jazz Times

Matt Flinner is a Winfield Mandolin Championship winner and member of Modern Mandolin Quartet, as well as a great composer and instructor. Since its inception in 2006, the Matt Flinner Trio has been forging new pathways for the standard bluegrass trio. Flinner, guitarist Ross Martin and bassist Eric Thorin cover a wide variety of musical styles—all with the common ground of American roots. Bluegrass, jazz and Celtic music are all present here, but not necessarily overtly or in a contrived sense. Call it Americana Music, or New Acoustic, or Chamber Grass, or just call it Great Music; whatever label you put on it, it is guaranteed to be fresh and original, and definitely something you’ve never quite heard before.

"You’ll be smiling from the moment [Harmonious Wail] starts to play…[their music] is strangely reminiscent of Frank Zappa’s celebrated and just-as-jazzy Mothers of Invention … As a matter of fact, if this CD doesn’t set your toe to tapping and a smile on your face, you should probably get medication." - Folk & Acoustic Music Exchange

Smoldering vocals laced among the jazzy mandolin and guitar; an infectious blend of continental jazz, swing, gypsy music and melodic vocals …how DOES one describe the sound of Harmonious Wail? The Wail has caught numerous listeners by total surprise during its more than 20-year history. Sims Delaney-Potthoff, Harmonious Wail’s founder, leader and mandolinist , credits Jethro Burns with the band’s unique, enticing style of mandolin-driven gypsy-jazz. Sims studied for seven years with Burns, the legendary jazz mandolinist, laying the foundation for Harmonious Wail’s acoustic string sound. He furthered his studies with Matt Glaser at Boston’s Berklee College of Music, honing his skills while immersing himself in the “gypsy” music of Django Reinhardt and Stephane Grappelli.

I hope you can join us!

Joel
    Mechanic Street House Concerts
    Cleveland, Ohio

Default Re: Workshop & concert with The Matt Flinner Trio & Harmonious Wa

I am very excited that Matt Flinner and Trio are coming to our fair city. I'm just a few blocks from Mechanics Street and will be walking over for the workshops and concerts.

Steve Roberts
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Last edited by Steve Roberts; Aug-12-2014 at 1:02pm.

3. The following members say thank you to Steve Roberts for this post:

Wow cool!

5. The following members say thank you to Eric C. for this post:

matt is one of my top favorites-have all his CDs
    saw him this year in Idaho springs-in heavy winds-

I might have to think about this workshop

7. The following members say thank you to stevedenver for this post:

Just a bump to remind everyone of this great workshop and house concert. Just paid my $70 for the workshop. Can't wait for Nov 8th!

9. The following members say thank you to Steve Roberts for this post:

yep....i'm in. already registered!
    just groove, baby!

I still need your string labels!

11. The following members say thank you to i-vibe for this post:

the mrs. and i are getting ready to head up to cleveland in a bit for this deal tomorrow. very excited about the concert (my first house concert) and the workshops... the ten hr drive from Tebbetts MO to Cleveland.....uh. not so much so!
    just groove, baby!

Thanks to the 15 people who came to the workshops & the 60 who came to the concert. Thanks also to Harmonious Wail and the Matt Flinner Trio for the great sets. It was a ton of fun!

-Joel
    Mechanic Street House Concerts

...and thanks to YOU, joel for putting that all together! well done.
    just groove, baby!