Thread: The Amazing Slow Downer--questions

Blog Entries

Default The Amazing Slow Downer--questions

To those of you who use it, or have used it, a couple of questions:

-Where is it most usefully installed? Desktop, phone, tablet?
    -Do you find that you have had to buy more than one version for desktop+laptop+tablet?
    -Which additional programs do you need in addition to the ASD itself (I notice the site lists half a dozen others, including a midi converter, etc.)
    -Is there anything cheaper that will let me slow down music on a CD and also in my recorded music on computer (I already know about Windows media adjustments)?

-and-

-Does ASD, or does any program, allow me to record something on my phone and then slow it down to play a portion, or is ASD "it"?
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

Default Re: The Amazing Slow Downer--questions

I bought the ASD and installed it on my desktop at home. It's perfect for working on complicated fiddle tunes that are flying by a little too fast for my ear or for tweaking the intonation when the musicians are tuned to nonstandard pitch. That's sufficient for my needs. I don't use any of their other products.

My iPhone has a built-in recorder which does a dandy job of capturing music on the fly--perfect for recording a song or tune I want to learn later. I just email the file to myself, open it on my home computer, and if it's going by too fast to learn a full speed, the ASD works just fine.

Good luck.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Blog Entries

Paul, isn't there a particular I have to save it in? I tried that with the trial version and it didn't recognize a MIDI.
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

Blog Entries

It is designed for audio files (.wav. mp3, etc.) - not midi.

There are plenty of other programs to use with MIDI files.

Audacity (free) also has a slow down function - again for use with audio files. Amazing Slow Downer is pretty good, however. Very easy to use.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Quote Originally Posted by belbein View Post
    Paul, isn't there a particular I have to save it in? I tried that with the trial version and it didn't recognize a MIDI.
    My phone saves audio files in .m4a (similar to .mp4 or AAC) format, which I believe is one of the file types the ASD recognizes, but it's easy enough to convert to mp3 with iTunes or other third-party tools.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

I use ASD much in the same way Paul does and I also import iTunes..tunes.....and instructor mp3s from email. I use it on my phone and ipad, the only thing I found is that my phone and ipad don't sync (or I don't know how to sync them). So if I'm working on a tune on my ipad, if I want to use my phone I have to import it into ASD on my phone. I don't work with MIDI though.

The old CD trainers may be cheap now that the apps have taken over the world but I'd spring for the ASD if you can rip the tunes from your CDs.

These apps sure beat your thumb on the LP or wearing out the rewind on the cassette player.....ha....dating myself.

I find ASD pretty convenient and effective on my iPhone. You can easily import songs from your iTunes library for use in ASD. I'm sure you can do something similar on Android phones, too. Having ASD on your mobile phone is pretty convenient, since you can easily take it with you--to the front porch, on vacation, wherever.

Always Improving Cecily_Mandoliner's Avatar

I have ASD Lite on my iPod Touch, so I can import a song from iTunes or from an emailed music file (mp4). It seems I get an abbreviated section, about 45 seconds, with the lite version.
    I find it very helpful for hearing how the artist makes that riff or run, like Jimmy Martin or Bill Monroe.
    I haven't tried it with one of my own recordings! What a good idea! I'm going to try that next!
    Weber Bitterroot F-Style Buckskin (2011)
    J Bovier A5-T
    Kentucky KM272 Vintage
    Trinity College Mandolin, Octave Mandolin, and Mandola
    Luna Guitars Passionflower Acoustic-Electric
    Taylor GSmini Guitar
    Ibanez Mini-dreadnought Tenor Guitar
    Gold Tone Cripple Creek Irish Tenor Banjo
    Klos Mandolin (on order)