Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Musical rules/suggestions for medleys

Default Re: Musical rules/suggestions for medleys

Having recently seen a guy at a session (an older guy, playing banjo) reading tunes off an iPad, I agree with the concern about technology creeping into sessions (my wife says that texting is ruining sessions), but I don't agree with the fear of creating new, possibly helpful technology just because of the potential for abuse.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Or misuse. All the tools at our disposal are just that - tools, created with the idea in mind (supposedly, hopefully, originally) of making things easier in some way for people using them. Ultimately one still has to know the songs and how to play them, which all the technology available can't teach you, but can help you learn. I've run into people who are overly reliant on whatever new gadget they have acquired, and are losing sight of their own experience.

The singer in one of my bands showed up this winter with a tablet, which she attached to her mike stand, to display the lyrics so she wouldn't flub them. She hadn't practiced enough with this, or didn't have it set up right, or hadn't checked the lyrics she had downloaded from websites for errors, or hadn't put them in alphabetical or some other kind of order, or some combination of these factors, because the overall effect was a general slowing down, too much time between songs being spent dialing up the next one. I understand the attraction to use devices like this, and if you have them all customized and optimized, and have spent time with them so your operation of them during a show is swift and easy, they can be very helpful, indeed. But if you aren't ready to go with your gizmo, you're better off with your memory. At least when you're singing and looking right at the audience rather than a tablet, you'll stand a better chance of developing a rapport, which is elusive, often hard to achieve and more easily lost. That's more important than being spot-on perfect, anyway, IMHO.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

I happen to like dramatic transitions from Major to Dorian, such as Calliope House/Lilting Banshee (D->Ador) or Lord McDonald/Ballinasloe Fair (G->Ador). Fitting with the moods of these modes, I also like to call them "sober" transitions.

...as opposed to "dreamy" transitions, which all go from Mixolydian to Mixolydian (aka "mad major") - once you've reached the nirvana of Mixo, waking up into another mode is bound to be unpleasant. A good example is Sean sa Cheo/High Reel.

Simple enough parameters for that generator.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Ya, good idea.
    (But will it start getting complicated? I've been told that programs that generate random results based on lots of rules are quite complex to create.)

In order to keep the order of going around the cycle of 5ths, to keep the feeling of lifting, "key" would need to be defined as the number of flats or sharps, instead of a note-name.

So, we divide the afore-mentioned "key" category into two: "key signature" and "mode" -- e.g. what was "D major" in the "key" column is now "##" in the "key signature" column, and "major" in the "mode" column.

The key signature rule: "A maxmimum of two of the same key signatures"? I'm not sure we really need that -- maybe we just need the old "go in order" rule.
    The mode rule: "Don't have two of the same modes in a row".

Makes sense? I'm not 100% sure -- I love the sound of E minor going into G major, but that's going backwards in the order...

To play these tunes with feeling, you've got to have an ear for how they are supposed to sound. Then, you are well past the painting-by-numbers phase and automatically have an ear for how to combine them and don't need a generator any more. Only then, as kind of a-posteriori theory, you might set up parameters for the very generator you don't need.

A long time ago, I programmed a generator for triplets of shirt, tie and suspenders that would go together out of a virtual closet repository, based on max. number of colors, fabrics and patterns. It was a demo for MDA software design and did its job for that, but by the time it worked I could pick my clothing blind without the generator.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

One combination that never goes, by the way, is tunes that are too similar. Like Cooley's Reel and Pidgeon on the Gate. Apart from the boredom, the transit is incredibly hard to do and might lead to mixed versions and derailment from one into the other.

Well, the question, I think, isn't "Do I need it?" -- the question is "Would this be fun?", and ya, I think it would be.

Sitting around a dining-room table with a few musician friends, playing with it, seeing if the sets are cool or not, seeing how well we can go from tune to tune -- sounds like a fun evening to me.

It wouldn't be any more indispensable than most apps, and it would be as fun as most apps.
    If it were available, I'd certainly give it a try, and I'd most likely enjoy doing so.

The program's rules for generating sets wouldn't allow Cooley's and Pigeon on the Gate to be in the same set.

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

The context of the OP's question was never clear. Was this regarding sets/medleys for a ITM (how militantly hardcore, or progressive, and what level of player proficiency?) session(s) or was it for the OP's "band" or regular player friends? BIG difference!

The "standard key" is fine for a session of strangers - if they know the tune, they probably (can) play it that "standard" key even if they play it a different key with their band or out of chjoice. Yes, certain tunes are much more playable in certain keys on specific instruments, which is probably why doing it in that key(s) became the norm in the first place. (or if transposed too high, or lower, puts parts of the tune out of the register of some instruments) Some of the ITM instruments (keyless flute, concertina, pipes,..) are somewhat semi-diatonic; they are suited to some of the keys but become more difficult (or possibly impossible) to play in others.

Personally, I prefer the sound of some tunes ("Sailor's Hornpipe" in Bb rather than G) or ("Fisher's Hornpipe in F rather than D --- but F actually was originally the standard key) in an un-standard key.

The notion that "The Kesh Jig" is a G tune (only) is rather narrow-minded (at the least). It's a simple tune and playing it in D or A should not be a big hurdle for an intermediate>above player. I use it as an exercise tune on metal flute (capable of playing in all 12 keys); the tune is in my head so my fingers must follow my ear in any new key. So besides the initial keys of D and G, I'll also put it into E and Eb (work some of those other keys/levers/fingerings), F and A.

Newer "composed" tunes seem to have a lot more flexibility as to key...since it is "NOT traditional" it seems that moving the tune to a different key for playability or other reasons isn't a major transgression. (Of course, not being trad, may still be enough to earn the wrath of the genre Nazis). John Kirkpatrick's "Jump At The Sun" is often played in Dm, Em, Am, and Gm. (I don't recall what JK's original key was - I'd have to put on my copy of his first LP and check.)

"Jump At The Sun" goes nicely with "The Kesh". And if you have the flexibility to play either tune in multiple keys, there are a lot of combinations.

TKJ (G) > JATS (Em) : Major key to the relative minor.
    TKJ(G) > JATS (Fm) : Also good
    TKJ (G) > JATS (Ebm....oooh scary! ): Cold stop at end of TKJ is more effective than a walkdown lick

or you can go up for the second tune:
    TKJ (G) > JATS (Am) > TKJ (A) - returning to The Kesh in a different key
    or
    TKJ (G) > JATS (Bbm)

Or put TKJ into moveable keys if you prefer JATS in a specific key
    TKJ (E) > JATS (Dm)
    TKJ (F) > JATS (Dm)
    TKJ (E) > JATS (Gm)
    etc.

And the only way you are going to find out what works for you sonically, is to try stuff out . This is the original computer program, using the original "computer" (your brain). Otherwise, you're gonna start programming your Band In A Box to playback the tunes in different key combination to audit them sonically. (Too much hassle, imo, and devoid of any/all of the benefits to your brain>ear>finger circuitry of transposing the tunes on your instrument).

As I said in the beginning of this post, context is a huge factor. If you are more of a beginner, or a hardcore ITM type, and this is for the an ITM session/jam setting, adhere to the standard key. But if those factors aren't that applicable, ask yourself if the "standard key" response isn't just laziness. (Mandolin is not a semi-diatonic instrument, it is fully chromatic, capable of playing tunes in EVERY key signature - if/when you do your technical pushups.)

Thank you!
    "Dark Lord of the Mandolin"
    aka "He-Who-Must-Not-Ne Named"

Mandocrucian tracks on SoundCloud

CoMando Guest of the Week 2003 interview of Niles

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!." - Randy Newman ("It's A Jungle Out There")

If you want to play the Kesh in D or F or even Ab, enter them into your set generator as "Kesh G", "Kesh D", "Kesh F" etc. (Duh?)

If your glass is half-empty, then of course a set generator isn't an adequate replacement for the human brain.
    If your glass is half-full, a set generator is at best a useful tool for practising transitions on-the-fly.

Quote Originally Posted by AZmando View Post
    Since these celtic tunes are usually pretty short, it's common to put a few of 'em together in medleys. When we put together tunes for medleys, what are some common rules?

I know they should sound good together, but what about the keys? Of course, they are often just two or three tunes all in the same key. I also know from learning a bit about classic piano ragtime that stepping up a fourth sounds good. But that's about ALL I know. I'm curious about other rules and ideas - what about minor keys for example?

I guess I'm looking for some do's and don'ts here. Thanks in advance!
    The OP is taking a left-brained approach to building sets, and trying to design a set generator would be exactly that.

Why all the criticism? If you don't want to think that way, then don't, but don't tell him he's wrong to try looking at it that way if he (as I do) finds it interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by mandocrucian View Post
    As I said in the beginning of this post, context is a huge factor. If you are more of a beginner, or a hardcore ITM type, and this is for the an ITM session/jam setting, adhere to the standard key. But if those factors aren't that applicable, ask yourself if the "standard key" response isn't just laziness. (Mandolin is not a semi-diatonic instrument, it is fully chromatic, capable of playing tunes in EVERY key signature - if/when you do your technical pushups.)[/I]
    Now waitaminnit.... the "standard key" for tunes one usually hears in ITM isn't just about "laziness." It's about fingering efficiency, which frees up the ability to articulate (ornament) the tunes.

Irish, Scottish, and Cape Breton fiddlers very seldom get out of first position, even if they have the technical ability to do so, in other genres. In the "standard session keys," the tunes fall easily and logically under your fingers in first position on fiddle. Same thing on mandolin. With efficient fingering and the frequent use of open strings (anathema to Classical and Jazz players), one has more opportunity to do all the extra stuff; the twiddly bits of ornamentation that make Irish music sound Irish. You also have access to the open G and open D strings under the melody line as drones, or double-stops, which work best in the "traditional keys." No surprise there, as so much of the music was written on the fiddle, especially the later stuff.

It's much harder to ornament if you're playing out of closed positions further up the neck, and you lose the open string drones for double-stops. That's why a classically-trained fiddler like Kevin Burke plays almost 100% in first position... for the twiddly bits... even though he's perfectly capable of playing the tunes in any key.

Same thing on diatonic whistles and flutes. I can play (in theory) most of the ITM repertoire on my keyless D flute. Start moving out of the "standard keys" and not only can I not hit some of the notes, I can't use the cuts, rolls, taps, crans, and other twiddly bits that are easily done in the standard keys for the tunes. Well, I guess I could if I just bought a bunch more flutes in different diatonic keys, like whistle players do, but that can get expensive. And it's the reason why ITM folks tend to settle in on "standard keys."

Note also, that even when tunes are sometimes commonly played in more than one key, they're usually in keys that still fit well in first position. There are yet more reasons too, like the way Cape Breton fiddlers often favor playing in A mixolydian, not just because it's related to Scottish pipe tunes, but because they often write tunes where they vary the A part by shifting down an octave while still staying in first position (different fingering, but there are enough strings to do that on fiddle and mandolin).

Can the mandolin more easily move outside the standard keys than some of the older, more traditional instruments in ITM? Sure. Are we gaining something by doing that, or losing something?

So no, standard keys aren't about laziness. As a mandolin player, I think there are things to learn about why they're usually played in those keys, and I'm still learning. This isn't jazz, 'ya know.

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

Now waitaminnit.... the "standard key" for tunes one usually hears in ITM isn't just about "laziness." It's about fingering efficiency, which frees up the ability to articulate (ornament) the tunes.
    Read my post again. Paragraph 2.

Read my post again. Paragraph 2.
    Okay, but what about my main point, that the standard keys facilitate ornamentation, and the use of drones. Being "much more playable" doesn't quite cover that, does it? Or to put it another way, is it even possible to play with the kind of ornamentation and drone effects one hears from first position players, further up the neck in closed position? Does anyone do that?

Actually, I think it was just the term "laziness" that got to me.

The notion that "The Kesh Jig" is a G tune (only) is rather narrow-minded (at the least). It's a simple tune and playing it in D or A should not be a big hurdle for an intermediate>above player. I use it as an exercise tune...
    C'mon Niles, you shouldn't do this with every thread.

I had five or six years of intense jazz improv training in Philly, I can play any melody in any key on four or five instruments blah blah blah...

That isn't what the OP is asking, and that isn't what this thread is about.

Blog Entries

John Kirkpatrick's "Jump At The Sun" is often played in Dm, Em, Am, and Gm. (I don't recall what JK's original key was - I'd have to put on my copy of his first LP and check.)
    I play Jump at the Sun, in Dm and Am. Two or three times in one key and two times in the other.

So this is another option, instead of changing tunes in a set, it is sometimes fun to change keys on the same tune. It adds lift without a moments disorientation as to emphasis or rhythm. It provides "the same thing only different."
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

“Ya, good idea.
    (But will it start getting complicated? I've been told that programs that generate random results based on lots of rules are quite complex to create.)”

I have a friend who is an expert in Random Generators.
    Here:- http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/...erator-with-Ja

So I think the answer is ........Ya ! But would it be fun? Well read through the article and if you understand it then the answer is certainly Ya ! Would it be too much Hassle for someone of normal capabilities .........you bet.

I think I will stick to what my ears are telling me.

Oh and by the way Bertram. 'Suspenders' have a completely different meaning in Scotland,but maybe you already knew that.
    D MAC S

A big part of the fun of playing in a session is improvising tune transitions on the fly. A few ready made sets in a session is alright, especially if they are to help orient novices who have difficulty with making or thinking of tune transitions (and avoiding cases of that dreaded session malady tunus interruptus), but that really hasn't been the norm, and in many sessions if you propose playing a set (unless invited to "play a couple of your own") you are likely to be met with rolling eyes.

I think the playing of sets is a phenomenon that comes originally from ceili bands and then through the influence of commercial recordings and concert performances. The influence of both on the tradition is pretty substantial.

That said I think there are some guidelines (no rules) for choosing tune transitions that are satisfying:

First, learn a bunch of tunes

Second, check out the tunes that have key/mode transitions embedded within them, either as chord changes or as modulations between the parts (examples: "The Fermoy Lasses" E aeolian 1st part/G major 2md part; "Tripping Upstairs" D major 1st part/B aeolian 2nd part; "Jackie Small's Jig" E dorian 1st part/D major 2nd part; "Blarney Pilgrim" D mixolydian 1st part/G major 2nd part/D mixolydian 3rd part). These combinations reveal relationships between the modes (I to vi for major/aeolian; I to ii for major/dorian; I to v for major/mixolydian) that can easily be exploited for tune transitions, and the way these tunes transition between modes/parts are sometimes good models for what works between tunes.

Third, it's a good idea to learn the modes (Ionian [major], Dorian, Mixolydian, Aeolian [minor] for Irish traditional music) and how to harmonize them, and also the cadences that go with each. Such information helps one understand why certain transitions work harmonically, and there is always a harmonic dimension embedded in the tunes whether they are being accompanied with harmony or not.

FWIW, I will be doing a workshop on this at the O'Flaherty Irish Music Retreat in October: http://oflahertyretreat.org/

Cheers,

19. The following members say thank you to zoukboy for this post:

DougC 

Quote Originally Posted by zoukboy View Post
    A big part of the fun of playing in a session is improvising tune transitions on the fly. A few ready made sets in a session is alright, especially if they are to help orient novices who have difficulty with making or thinking of tune transitions (and avoiding cases of that dreaded session malady tunus interruptus), but that really hasn't been the norm, and in many sessions if you propose playing a set (unless invited to "play a couple of your own") you are likely to be met with rolling eyes.
    Let's say you're the best Irish Trad fiddler in your town. You know 1000 tunes etc. You get a call from the next town over from one of those guys who hosts a session -- you know the type: he's by far the best Irish Trad player in his town, he knows it, and he controls his sessions, he leads every set, and others just try to keep up. He always hires a co-host, but this week the co-host can't make it, and that's why he's called you. You show up, and all night long, he's saying things (to just you) like "Ok, now we're going to play My Former Wife into The Four Courts into Waiting For Janet", and he expects you to make all the transitions as smoothly as he does. Could you do it? I couldn't, and I'd probably go home after and try to figure out how I could practise for such an event should it ever happen again.

I met my wife four years ago at a session that she was hosting (and still hosts, when she's not on tour with me. She's hosting one right now, actually, as I write this, but I'm not at home). It's the most organized session I've ever been to, with a real focus on sounding good for the "audience". There are about five or six co-hosts, they all get paid, I forget, the equivalent of $25 or $30 plus drinks. The paid musicians regularly have a quick discussion before each set, and then she announces to the whole group something like "Banish Misfortune Morrison's Kesh, three three three", and away they go. There are always a few cases of tunus interuptus from the "pros", but someone always manages to hold it together.

Ya, these are rare (or hypothetical) instances, 'cuz usually sessions involve people taking turns leading sets they've already practised, and everybody just drops out at the transitions and comes back in wherever (depending on their tastefulness), but still, I'd like to have a set generator just as another practise tool, just to be able to be more prepared for those on-the-fly don't-drop-out occasions. Wouldn't you?

I'm not trying to talk everybody into using one -- I'm just trying to talk someone into building one for me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zoukboy View Post
    First, learn a bunch of tunes

Third, it's a good idea to learn the modes (Ionian [major], Dorian, Mixolydian, Aeolian [minor] for Irish traditional music) and how to harmonize them, and also the cadences that go with each. Such information helps one understand why certain transitions work harmonically, and there is always a harmonic dimension embedded in the tunes whether they are being accompanied with harmony or not.
    It is amazing how people, (like me...) can play for years an not know a thing about why tunes work, or don't work. Now I know a few things, and find it not only interesting, but much easier to put stuff together.

I had to laugh at the mechanical method proposed. It makes sense in a weird sort of way, but the hard way is the best my friends.

Actually the muse as you play is 'music theory from a gut level'. The theory gives words to the actions.

22. The following members say thank you to DougC for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by xiledscot View Post
    Oh and by the way Bertram. 'Suspenders' have a completely different meaning in Scotland,but maybe you already knew that.
    The alternative option was to confuse the larger group here with "braces"...

24. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bevan View Post
    ...all night long, he's saying things (to just you) like "Ok, now we're going to play My Former Wife into The Four Courts into Waiting For Janet", and he expects you to make all the transitions as smoothly as he does. Could you do it? I couldn't...
    Provided I knew the tunes, I could do it. That's what sessioning is.

It's the most organized session I've ever been to, with a real focus on sounding good for the "audience". There are about five or six co-hosts, they all get paid, I forget, the equivalent of $25 or $30 plus drinks. The paid musicians regularly have a quick discussion before each set, and then she announces to the whole group something like "Banish Misfortune Morrison's Kesh, three three three", and away they go. There are always a few cases of tunus interuptus from the "pros", but someone always manages to hold it together.
    I wouldn't call that a "session." That is a performance.

...'cuz usually sessions involve people taking turns leading sets they've already practised...
    Hopefully not. Playing other peoples' sets in sessions is not really sessioning, in my opinion. If it is a group of novices who need direction that is one thing, but the give and take, and handing your tune off to someone else to follow it with one of theirs and surprise you is a big part of the fun.

I'd like to have a set generator just as another practise tool, just to be able to be more prepared for those on-the-fly don't-drop-out occasions. Wouldn't you?
    No, not really. I prefer time and experience and a large repertoire.

I'm not trying to talk everybody into using one -- I'm just trying to talk someone into building one for me.
    I am sure it will be really popular. I just hope people don't start using them in sessions!

If I haven't played The Four Courts in three years, then ya, I might have a little trouble trying to remember the opening phrase while I'm busy playing the first tune. Seems like a reasonable difficulty for a even a seasoned session veteran.

The one oddity (that they agree on a set before they play it) doesn't disqualify it as a session to me -- they sit around a table, they drink beer, they talk a lot between tunes, they play tunes that not everybody knows, musicians drifting through town show up, random players start up sets etc etc.
    You must have a pretty rigid definition of what a session is, Zoukboy, if that one detail means it's no longer a session.

Of course sessions involve people taking turns leading sets! Everybody drops out at the start of the second tune etc -- that's how they do it all over the world (and I've been there).

I prefer time and experience and a large repertoire too, but I use tools like recordings, notation software, a metronome, and videos etc when I'm at home practising. I'll bet it's a pretty common routine for session players.

Blog Entries

It's the most organized session I've ever been to, with a real focus on sounding good for the "audience". There are about five or six co-hosts, they all get paid, I forget, the equivalent of $25 or $30 plus drinks. The paid musicians regularly have a quick discussion before each set
    Wow. That doesn't sound like much fun. Its sounds more like a simulation of a session for tourists. So planned.

About the most organizing I like is the kind of jam where in the middle of the tune you are on last time through someone will announce another tune, look around, and if two or three people nod, its off to the races on that tune. Keeps going and going until someone says last time and you end on that tune, which is 3, 4, or 6 tunes from the beginning.

The transitions tend to work because of what ever it is about the tune you are on that reminds of the tune you suggest makes them good mates, most of the time. The follow on tune is spontaneously picked because it replicates and builds on the energy of the tune currently in play.

There are crash and burns of course, but it is very exciting.

Usually sounds good or sometimes spectacular, because even a musically ignorant audience can feel the "energy". But in general we are doing it for ourselves, not for the audience, and if the audience likes it, well good on them. Just hope they don't clap.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

One of my pet peeves is 'showing off' by purposefully playing obscure tunes. It is used to intimidate others. This is different from playing a tune that though not played often is proudly presented as an accomplishment. To me the purpose of a session is to play together and enjoy the tunes, common or not. And the usual progression goes to more challenging stuff later in the evening.