Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Likely Orville Gibson made mandolin

Default Re: Likely Orville Gibson made mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    I knew I'd seen that mandolin before. It's here.
    Interesting ---I forgot that thread or that I had seen it before. I have had a problem with Larson claims where anything that's old and good and unidentifiable can suddenly become a Larson but last night it occurred to me that this "Orville" were looking at could possibly have been built by the Larsons. So 4 years ago it was a Larson and now it's a Gibson ---Hmmm----I couldn't find any examples of a Larson just like that but they did build a violin shaped arch top sans the lump that isn't ( taken Larson ability to make things quite different from anything else they ever made) too much of a stretch to imagine that they could have made it!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    So far all of the Orville built instruments I've seen seemed to have a volute where the neck meets the headstock. Did they all have that?
    His prototype guitar did.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-3724444616.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	327.2 KB 
ID:	122712
    The Favs
    2013 Jacobson Nautilus #23 Semper Concinentī
    2007 Weber Custom Yellowstone
    2003 Gibson A9
    2013 Godin A8
    2007 Martin 000-18 Norman Blake #62 of 134
    2000 Heritage Millennium H-155

Quote Originally Posted by barney 59 View Post
    Interesting ---I forgot that thread or that I had seen it before. I have had a problem with Larson claims where anything that's old and good and unidentifiable can suddenly become a Larson but last night it occurred to me that this "Orville" were looking at could possibly have been built by the Larsons. So 4 years ago it was a Larson and now it's a Gibson ---Hmmm----I couldn't find any examples of a Larson just like that but they did build a violin shaped arch top sans the lump that isn't ( taken Larson ability to make things quite different from anything else they ever made) too much of a stretch to imagine that they could have made it!
    I think that many of the instruments attributed to the Larson's were probably built by Regal. Bob Carlin's Regal Musical Instruments book gives some real examples of what Regal was actually building. They had the ability to build this instrument, I'm just not sure they did.

I'm kind of with Darryl on this but that's because I want to find at least four more mandolin body styles built by Orville. If this is an Orville built mandolin it would be two out of the four.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Perhaps, but when the OP argues that the tuners are "consistent with Orville Gibson made instruments," it behooves us to judge that claim in light of the evidence. The OP makes the same claim about the tailpiece ... but in point of fact, that lyre tailpiece appears on precisely zero of the Orville mandolins one can find in a Google image search. The star and crescent on the headstock is the only real point of similarity, and even it isn't quite the same as any that Orville produced.
    Exactly right. That tailpiece has nothing to do with Gibson. And the tuners, they were never on Orville instruments originally, only retro fitted later.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    The star and crescent on the headstock
    Isn't that the symbol for the Nation of Islam? (I know Gibson came first) Curious as to the origin.

Mike, I have also wondered about that---for example Emil Wulshner and Sons --The "Indiana Regals" that get mentioned. I have seen several Wulshner and Sons instruments attributed to Larson. Wulshner began operation in 1885 before Larson's began to work for Mauer and was producing some state of the art instruments. Presentation grade mandolins and stress topped guitars (like Larson) were part of their line, I've wondered if they were the first to do so. Emil Wulshner died in 1900 and the company was sold in 1904 to a group of investors and by 1906 the operation had moved to Chicago as The Regal Co. The only explanation I could come up with for a Larson claim would be for that period after Dad died and before the operation moved if the "Sons" were part of Dad's company like my sons are part of mine and that maybe they contracted with someone else in order to fill orders, keep the business alive until they could sell it.. I still find it interesting though that this mandolin came up for discussion in 2010 as a Larson thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Isn't that the symbol for the Nation of Islam? (I know Gibson came first) Curious as to the origin.
    Or the "Syrians", you know,--- the guys in the parade with the Fezzes and the funny little cars! Maybe Orville was a member-----He liked funny hats!

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Orville was into the occult, I understand. So, the various crescents and symbols have esoteric meanings.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

According to a 1937 article posted by Paul Fox on this page:

The pearl inlays [Orville] Gibson used were made by a Turkish manufacturer, which probably accounts for the star and crescent design”. When I first heard this one, I thought it was nonsense. I guess I was wrong. The crescent & moon is the symbol of Islam. Take a look at the earliest F-2 & F-4 mandolin ads below.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Symbols like the star and crescent were sprinkled all over the US at that point in history. The Masons used them! It's easy to get over-excited and ascribe a particular meaning but there are so many possible explanations. I think there is an air of "Exoticism" or just simply "wanting to look cool" in Orville's designs. The scrolls can be seen as a reference to Greek Ionic column capitals.. the aesthetics of asymmetry that he used, the victorian filigree of his inlaid pickguards etc.. these are all present in all sorts of other places at the time.

I do think that the inlay on this example is meant to "quote" Orville here
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danb For This Useful Post:

Yes, Orville really did like using volutes on the back of his pegheads. Note also complete lack of handel tuners in the later gibson F style!

Here's a sampling:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12000GibsonlyremandolinpegheadbackLG.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	384.5 KB 
ID:	122728   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xxx_1906_orville_tuners.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	122729   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10855GibsonguitarpegheadbackLG.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	139.3 KB 
ID:	122730  

Name:	back.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	122731   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MF7804.jpg 
Views:	409 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	122732   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Backofpeghead.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	113.1 KB 
ID:	122733  

The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs

Here's what I'm on about with the carving too.. thick plates, luxurious furniture-like curves, large flat back plates..

Name:	orville.mandolin.1906.scroll.back.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	323.2 KB 
ID:	122734   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10855GibsonguitarbodybackLG.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	251.1 KB 
ID:	122735   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back_detail.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	122736  

Name:	MF7804b.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	122737   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	47b8d605b3127cce98548af10cba00000016100AcsmjZq3cOGKA.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	122738   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12000GibsonlyremandolinbackLG.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	241.3 KB 
ID:	122739  

The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs

And finally for now.. some good illustrations of the "hollow neck" and construction points, shown on 2526 a very early factory instrument

Name:	2526_hole_into_top2.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	122740   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2526_hollow_neck.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	122741   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2526_heel.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	122742  

The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs

16. The following members say thank you to danb for this post:

I heard a story about the whole "Star and crescent" thing,
    Orville had struck a deal with a Syrian gent who had offered him a very advantageous deal if he would use that in pegheads.
    No clue if it's true or not but, it's a fun story. If you look at the "other" Lyre mandolin, the inlay is not the star and crescent but more "wheel" like I know there's a name for the design but, drawing a blank right now. Just an observation.
    I'm with you Dan, that's how I have thought about "Orvillian" backs too, they almost look like buffet tables!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

I think Dan is right on the star and crescent. No occult, no anything other than the country saw it as mysterious and desireable. Note the theaters and such being built at the time and the style they were being built in. I'll also guess that they were stock items used in other industries someplace in the world.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

19. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

The "Syrians" that I mentioned after I thought about it are actually the "Shriners", an offshoot of the Masons, and those symbols are common to them. "Friendly" societies were really popular back then and the Shriners were wealthy and big, particularly in the midwest. Most prominent citizens belonged to some group or another and to align yourself with the correct one could be important to your prosperity and social status. Some like the "Oddfellows" were kind of a pre-welfare insurance plan that took care of it's own members. The Shriners took/take care of sick kids. The Masons-who knows -rule the world? -or is that the Bohemians? Anyway many of these societies claim to trace their history back to the Crusades --Knights Templars and such and that accounts for the Islamic symbols. The Bohemians can only trace their history back to Jack London but that's typical for California. My family belonged to "The Moose" which might account for my prosperity!

Thanks, guys! All good comments. I guess with the internet and 24 hour cable news channels, we all are more "worldly" today than the world of the 1890's. Back then a person who read a few books and traveled some might possess enough arcane knowledge to start a cult or a mandolin company!

The Shriners operated a children's hospital in the city I grew up in. A quick search shows that they have a history back into the late 1800's in Michigan. It's conjecture on my part but there's a very good chance that is why Orville chose that symbol. It may simply have been that the pearl was readily available or I guess he might have been a Shriner. The problem would be that Orville turned the Shriner symbol upside down. They use the same elements but they are different. Gibson was kind enough to put the logo on the later Epiphone models that had the star and crescent upside down from the way Orville put it. The later model is more like the Shriner's logo but it is missing the sword. The star and crescent on the flag of the Republic of Turkey is oriented differently as well. For all the conspiracy theorists out there check out this page of flags with the star and crescent on them. None of them are oriented in the Orville Gibson logo layout. My guess is that Orville just liked the way it looked and he could get them readily cut.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

23. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by barney 59 View Post
    Some like the "Oddfellows" were kind of a pre-welfare insurance plan that took care of it's own members. The Shriners took/take care of sick kids. The Masons-who knows -rule the world? -or is that the Bohemians? Anyway many of these societies claim to trace their history back to the Crusades --Knights Templars and such...
    And let's not forget the Mystic Knights of the Sea.

For really odd occult symbols check out the back of a U.S. dollar bill.

25. The following members say thank you to Bruce Clausen for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Thanks, guys! All good comments. Back then a person who read a few books and traveled some might possess enough arcane knowledge to start a cult or a mandolin company!
    It's more than possible that his mandolin company spawned this little cult on the Cafe....

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

27. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post:

And naturally, I only half explain what I meant, but there's been all this great information come through - I meant to say 'could we compare the symbols on the mandolin to other Orville mandolins'. Of course the trend towards spiritualism meant that all kinds of symbols started appearing everywhere: look at first editions by say, Kipling, and you'll see swastikas (then a completely different meaning) and other such symbols.

And the world is run by the illuminati Freemason Fabian Rothschild lizard people - geez, get it right, people!
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay

Actually I think that people that were educated back then were often really highly educated. ---Latin,Greek, a solid background in the classics-- They didn't settle for a Plato wiki page -they read Plato and probably in his own language! Look at all the really great schools that were founded in the 19th Century all over the country....They had a plan! Today all you could say is " Look at all the really secure prisons that we build!" or "How did my kid get passing grades all the way through school and he's can't count and is practically illiterate? ------and I sent him to good schools!" Anyway --there is little doubt that OG had a big hand in starting this little cult---he wasn't alone though- you can't count out Bill! As interesting as a discussion about education in America or Freemasonry might be --so who made that mandolin?.....I'm voting Larson Bros. at this point--the more I look at it the less Orville I see!

30. The following members say thank you to barney 59 for this post:

Orville as John the Baptist. Bill as Jesus? (With no offence intended - I'm drawing analogies not comparisons. )

The Beatles were more popular than Jesus or so the story goes. If you read some of the stuff on the page that Mike directed us to the Star and The Crescent apparently go back a millennium or more before Islam and in the same region-associated with the God Mithra by some accounts. Who? Never heard of Mithra but must have been big in it's day! Maybe in a millennium or two some fragments of the Mandolin Cafe will be discovered and scholars will write papers about the Cult of the Mandolinists and their Gods-- Bill, Orville, and Jethro. Intellectuals will argue late into the night the hidden meaning of "That ain't no part of nothin'"!

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Lewis View Post
    And the world is run by the illuminati Freemason Fabian Rothschild lizard people ...
    Oh no you didn't! Now that you've revealed the true identity of The Powers That Be, I suspect you won't get to live much longer. Hopefully you'll have time to put your affairs in order before the hit men show up. It's been grand reading your posts. My condolences, in advance.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to journeybear For This Useful Post: