Thread: Bouzouki & mandolin gig bag

Default Bouzouki & mandolin gig bag

I seem to recall seeing a double gig bag, or was it just a dream? anybody know where i can get one?

Default Re: Bouzouki & mandolin gig bag

Quote Originally Posted by garryireland View Post
    I seem to recall seeing a double gig bag, or was it just a dream? anybody know where i can get one?
    Sorry to throw water on your parade, BUT, I have seen so many instruments damaged in gig bags. Even a cheap chipboard case is better than a gig bag. I would always opt for a hard-shell case. My 2c worth.

Quote Originally Posted by garryireland View Post

Does yours not fit into a standard guitar case?

At least a guitar case is hard and solid and has lots of spare storage space for straps and things...

Quote Originally Posted by clobflute View Post
    Does yours not fit into a standard guitar case?

At least a guitar case is hard and solid and has lots of spare storage space for straps and things...
    im looking for a bag that holds both at the same time.....

Gonna be a long search, IMHO.

All the double gig bags I could scare up via Google were for two instruments the same size: electric guitars, electric basses, even acoustic guitars. There are (a few) bouzouki gig bags, and quite a few mandolin gig bags, but couldn't find one that combines the two.

Suggestion:if we're talking gig bags -- made of fabric -- no reason two couldn't be stitched together. I'd get one of each, then go to a place that has heavy-duty sewing machines. There's a shoe repair service near me that can sew up leather uppers, and will also mend canvas tents (if there are any of those left), automobile covers, etc.

While I understand the well-thought-out preference for hardshell cases, I carry my own guitar, banjo and ukulele -- basic arsenal for seniors' programs -- in gig bags, so I can carry all three at once easily. (Well, relatively easily.) Not the protection I'd like, but the convenience I prefer.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Like Allen, I carry my instruments (OM, banjo and guitar) in gig bags. However, the ones I use are not light weight, inexpensive gig bags. I use ones made by Reunion Blues (the older style, I like the design better) and several custom made one by Glenn Cronkhite. These are superior to cheap hard shell cases and are much easier to handle as Allen pointed out. True, I don't think they would protect an instrument from someone jumping up and down on the bag (although I doubt many low cost hard shells would either), but they do provide excellent protection from drops or banging into things. Glenn's bags are a real work of art. In fact, he might make a custom case such as you want, but it will cost you.
    Rob

7. The following members say thank you to Rob Meyer for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by rob_pt View Post
    Like Allen, I carry my instruments (OM, banjo and guitar) in gig bags. However, the ones I use are not light weight, inexpensive gig bags. I use ones made by Reunion Blues (the older style, I like the design better) and several custom made one by Glenn Cronkhite. These are superior to cheap hard shell cases and are much easier to handle as Allen pointed out. True, I don't think they would protect an instrument from someone jumping up and down on the bag (although I doubt many low cost hard shells would either), but they do provide excellent protection from drops or banging into things. Glenn's bags are a real work of art. In fact, he might make a custom case such as you want, but it will cost you.
    how can i get in contact with him?

http://www.glenncronkhite.com

Colorado Case Co. (http://coloradocase.com) also makes custom cases, so you might check them out. I've not had them make any fretted instrument cases, just harp and hammered dulcimer cases. Quality is excellent, but the fit on Glenn's cases are a bit better and his cases are works of art IMHO.
    Rob

Fender offers double gig bags. Mine cost me around $60.

And as a guitar repairman for 35 years, I can tell you this - the true purpose of a case (or gig bag) is to keep all the splinters in one place.

Garry, May be worth looking at www.somersetcases.co.uk - it's possible they might be able to custom build a suitable case with a pretty decent level of protection. Haven't used them myself, but have been keeping the URL on file in case I ever need an odd shaped case for something...