Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone think much of wooden picks?

Default Does anyone think much of wooden picks?

Hi,

on holiday I bought a number of wooden picks - they came in every kind of conceivable wood for about 3 Euro each - from hard ebony wood to cocobolo, and soft woods.

I bought about 3 of them to try on my new mandocello.

Kind of scratching my head wondering what's wrong. They are bevelled, and they had an expensive logo and box description of the manufacturer's name which I can't recall.

When I'm playing, they all make a terrible clacking sound. The hardest wood seems to make the most pleasant sound. Strangely, this is the one which is the most worn as well. I'm happiest with the Wegen Bluegrass pick which seems to make the least noise and the deftest pick to handle with a decent tone.

Has anyone had good experiences with wooden picks? Should I just use them as tree planters?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Does anyone think much of wooden picks?

I got some lingam vitae picks that I kind of like. Not my go to picks, but they can be right for some situations.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

a friend gave me what appears to be indian rosewood veneer laminated with a silk core-pretty to look at

but
    while I seem to like almost any pick

this one is a drag, literally, even after smoothing out with 600, and more
    not sure why, as I like stiff picks but this one is not only stiff but lifeless and feels very slow

I was curious about wooden picks once and decided to try one. After some research I bought a "Pink Ivory" pick from Etsy at about $20. I picked that one because it was advertised as have very warm tone. All I can say is that it was the single most offensive sounding pick I ever used. Very, very bright, very clicky, and no tone quality. I might as well have been playing with the edge of a metal spoon. I even tried to round one of the points to soften the sound but it was horrible. My desire to try wooden picks was over.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I got some lingam vitae picks that I kind of like. Not my go to picks, but they can be right for some situations.
    Me too, $10 for a handmade pick but I forget where I got it? Anyway, he sent me a normal teardrop shape even though I asked for a triangle. Very interesting wood (the hardest on Earth?), but It didn't really work for me. I just had to find that out for myself I guess. I do like it for strumming guitar but not much else.

Sean

I tried one on my guitar years ago, I hated it. Every single strum was a torment, expecting my strings to end up shattered
    http://pauliewotsit.wordpress.com/ my blog

"No, it's not a Ukulele, it's got twice as many strings and needs four times the talent to play!"

I bought one once, in a little shop in Cornwall I think it was, again lignum vitae: as Sean said about the hardest wood there is, or so my dad once told me. Beautifully crafted and even came in a little leather pouch.

However, as a mandolin pick, it was utterly sucktastic.

I like my ebony ones for some things. They definitely have their uses. I find, though, that mandolas often have different plectral requirements than mandolins, and since I play the former much more, it might not be true the other way around (come to think of it, I haven't even taken a mandolin out for a spin with the ebony picks). I would like to try out a lignum vitae pick some day. But I'd almost surely have to make it myself. I haven't seen another wooden pick maker offer any triangle shaped picks, but only traditional guitar pick shapes, which I don't like.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

All woods are fibrous by nature, not good for anything abrasive like constantly plucking strings.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

10. The following members say thank you to Dave Hanson for this post:

Registered User Atlanta Mando Mike's Avatar

Yep, tried those Lignum Vitae pics brand name SurfPics. Quite expensive, 20 bucks or so. Well made, look cool, came with a pouch. I don't like the sound at all. Not good for mandolin IMHO.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I think it's one of those holiday souvenir moments, thinking I'd be missing out having never seen a wooden pick before.

I was happy with my Wegen Bluegrass pick before. I'll stop looking for that grail pick now!

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

One of my local stores had a set of these - some two dozen in a little 4" x 8" plastic box, all sectioned out to display , with the names of each wood, a brief blurb about each one, and some sort of hardness rating, lignum vitae being the hardest. Some woods I had never heard of before. I think they were only $5 each. I looked at them as a curiosity, a did the store owner. You know - they were cool to look at but didn't inspire me to investigate further.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

I was prepared to think "ugh", but was frankly surprised that I liked the ebony pick I made. My first reaction on playing with it was "why didn't I try this sooner?" (I have had lots of scrap ebony around here for years, but had used it for other things, mostly bridges.) I think it was the discussion on another thread here that induced me to try making picks from it. I'm rather concerned about it holding up over time, since it's wood, but I have a light playing touch, and may be pleasantly surprised there, too. Oh yeah, it is polished much finer than 600, which is just a starting point for me when finishing picks. More like 6000, IIRC.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Wood does have the grain, from growth rings, to split along ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by clobflute View Post
    Hi,
    Should I just use them as tree planters?
    toothpicks

Quote Originally Posted by High Lonesome Valley View Post
    toothpicks

okkkk ..

Might take some time to work my way across all of these ...

18. The following members say thank you to clobflute for this post:

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have a soft spot for them. They're unsuitable for anything fast, but I like their sound for slower medieval tunes. I have a couple of wood picks from Hobgoblin music.

Blog Entries

I have not seen wooden picks, but sounds like I'll be OK without them.

The most common test for testing wood hardness is known as the Janka hardness test. The actual number listed in the wood profile is the amount of pounds-force (lbf) or newtons (N) required to imbed a .444´´ (11.28 mm) diameter steel ball into the wood to half the ball's diameter.

Because I am a nerd I looked up the hardest woods on earth. I had never heard of Lignum Vitae but it is the second hardest wood on earth coming in at 4,390 LBf (19,510 N) on the Janka scale and the hardest being Quebracho (meaning axe breaker in Spanish) coming in at 4,570 LBf (20,340 N).

Either way I highly doubt the 180 pound difference is going to do anything. I have a buddy that is a woodworker and he made me some really nice beautiful picks. Even though it was very nice of him....they like staying in the drawer.
    The Favs
    2013 Jacobson Nautilus #23 Semper Concinentī
    2007 Weber Custom Yellowstone
    2003 Gibson A9
    2013 Godin A8
    2007 Martin 000-18 Norman Blake #62 of 134
    2000 Heritage Millennium H-155

22. The following members say thank you to Michael Weaver for this post:

fwiw , when I was building guitars and lutes, I began learning about wood types.

Lignum vitae was, at one time, widely used in manufacturing as skid plates for chutes and conveyors because not only it is really hard, but I was told it is self lubricating -not sure what that means, but perhaps not only releasing oils but also getting a very slick patina.

Blog Entries

Lignum vitae is real oily wood. I see it used, even today, for under water bearings.

The picks have the property of sticking to you fingers and not rotating. Not unlike the BC picks but for different reasons.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

25. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I think i will have to make a few i have lots of small pieces of different wood , i think the hardest i have is zebrawood i will let you know how they sound once i finish
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

I have one and I've found that it seems to mute the mandolin--I can't play loudly with it at all. So I keep it in the case and call it the "hotel pick;" great for use when I want to practice, but not bother others nearby.

It would be interesting to hear them on different types of strings. Reading that they play softly and are appropriate for Medieval music has caught my interest.
    "The Truth Shall Make Ye Fret" -- (Terry Pratchett, The Truth) R.I.P. and say "ook" to the Librarian for me.

I tried both ebony and rosewood picks, as well as a horn and an onxy pick. Completely unimpressed. Bought them on a whim, played them once and they went straight to "The Box of Misfit Picks" and they will stay there. I tried them back in the olden times before Blue Chips, Wegens, etc. Today I would have to wonder why anyone would bother with them at all.