Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just for a Chuckle-- Why don't people recognize a mandolin?

Default Re: Just for a Chuckle-- Why don't people recognize a mandolin?

I suppose for the same reason that the first European to ever see an Kangaroo,didn't know it was a Kangaroo !. To most folk,a mandolin is a musical intrument outside their sphere of knowlege of instruments in general,as it's not a common instrument,obviously even in the USA, where i'd have thought that it has more 'exposure',
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

2. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Mandolins like to travel incognito.

Mine often wears sunglasses and a hat.

Cuts down on the number of autographs it has to sign.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Astro For This Useful Post:

It is partially due to the times we live in also. Especially in the US. If we were living in the 1890's through the 1920's most people in the US would have been familiar with the mandolin due to the efforts of Gibson and other companies who sent salespeople across the country establishing mandolin orchestras in every town they visited. They reasoned, quite correctly, that if there were orchestras to join it would create a bigger market for those instruments. Sort of a string instrument version of "The Music Man". At the height of their popularity playing the mandolin or related instrument and being a member of a mandolin orchestra was quite a status symbol in society. Ditto for the popularity of the ukulele. Even though there were no orchestras largely through the efforts of Martin the ukulele was so popular in the Roaring 20's that no self respecting college age male would go to school without his ukulele so that he could serenade his sweety. The teens and 20's were really golden years for string players.

By contrast the 1960's and 1970's were a low point. When Tiny Tim came along he was viewed as a novelty act at best and a freak at worst. When I was a teenager I begged my parents for a guitar. But they viewed the guitar players of the time as somehow counter culture and dangerous, the baggage that came with the popular music of the time. So instead they bought me a ukulele. I was of course very unsatisfied with the substitution and, because of Tiny Tim, viewed it as terminally uncool. Ironically, as an adult I now play quite a bit of ukulele, billing myself in this performing persona under the stage name of "Don , the Duke of Uke".

It is very interesting to me how musical knowledge and interests go hand in hand with the music industry. In our country's earlier history it seems like the industry's collective strategy was to make the products they were good at making then they created a market need, then they filled that need. Marketing 101. Nowadays the tail wags the dog. Musical instrument companies simply do marketing research to find out what people want then give it to them. This explains why you go to most music stores and see 100 different varieties of Stratocasters but only one or two mandolin, and that only if you're lucky.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

6. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

I have had the "ukulele" thing even for my OM. It's the same group of people who request "Drunken Sailor" in an ITM session.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

8. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    One of the weirdest ones I had was after a gig this person approaches and asks to see that "little guitar"... I explain it is a mandolin, and tell her a bit about how it is tuned like a violin but has double strings and is played with a pick.... still looks interested, so I ask her why she likes it. "Oh", she says... "I don't want to spend much money so I just want something cheaper than a real guitar"!
    ...and then they give you an incredulous look when you tell them what mandolins sell for.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

10. The following members say thank you to Capt. E for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    One of the weirdest ones I had was after a gig this person approaches and asks to see that "little guitar"... I explain it is a mandolin, and tell her a bit about how it is tuned like a violin but has double strings and is played with a pick.... still looks interested, so I ask her why she likes it. "Oh", she says... "I don't want to spend much money so I just want something cheaper than a real guitar"!
    AlmeriaStrings: You get the "best story of mandolin ignorance of the day" award. That is a riot! Thanks.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Blog Entries

I had the opposite experience. My favorite music store hang-out is about a 30 minute drive from my house. This place sells very nice instruments. There is a music store about 5 minutes from my house and one day when my husband and I stopped for a bite to eat next door I said, "Let's scope out that store". I wasn't expecting much because there were multi-colored palm trees and pink, yellow and baby blue ukuleles in the window. As we walked in and someone asked if we play anything and I responded that I play mandolin. He said, "I just received a really nice one today...I'll go get it." He brought it out from the back and it was NOT a mandolin...of that I am absolutely certain. It wasn't a ukulele either. I have no idea what it was. It looked like cardboard. All-in-all it was a pretty funny experience. All the instruments looked like party favors.
    Weber Custom Vintage A
    JBovier ELS Electric
    Weber F-Style Yellowstone HT

Quote Originally Posted by lorrainehornig View Post
    I have no idea what it was. It looked like cardboard.
    So the people on the 'instruments like cardboard cafe' are probably lamenting the fact that no one, not even mandolin players, recognizes their instruments.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Franc Homier Lieu For This Useful Post:

I am not at all surprised that so few know anything about a mandolin. The average instrument store may only have one or two mandolins and many guitars, or no mandolins, as they are not really big sellers. When in public with my mando I am often asked "What is it?". I am delighted to spend a few minutes explaining the difference between a mando and a guitar and its relationship with a violin. Of course anyone interested in bluegrass will know about a mandolin. I knew precious little about a mando before I became interested in playing a small stringed instrument.

At an ITM session
    Guitar player "is that a mandolin?"
    Me "yes"
    Guitar player "I own a mandolin"
    Me "?"

Even folk who own a mandolin have difficulty spotting one

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by James Rankine View Post
    At an ITM session
    Guitar player "is that a mandolin?"
    Me "yes"
    Guitar player "I own a mandolin"
    Me "?"

Even folk who own a mandolin have difficulty spotting one
    That is really funny
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    I suppose for the same reason that the first European to ever see an Kangaroo,didn't know it was a Kangaroo !
    Ivan
    That was nothing compared to their incredulity at the first Platypus arrival in England in 1799.
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

Really funny hearing all these "tiny guitar" comments. I'm so small, I usually get the opposite comment: "That mandolin seems awful big on you...is it a mandola?" Nope, just a mandolin, played by freakishly small hands, which distorts the perspective.
    Amanda

-2007 Duff F5
    -2001 Stiver F5
    -Blueridge BR-40T Tenor Guitar
    -1923 Bacon Style-C Tenor Banjo

I have heard people ask if it is a piccolo.

I really can't make fun because I recently called an autoharp a button accordian. It was the first thing that popped into my head and I know the difference.

I walked out of my room a few weeks ago, strumming my mando (an Ibanez A with a pickup), when my wife's friend says "Oh, is that a new ukelele?", which is funny, considering she had given me a ukelele as a gift about a month prior... to which my niece says "No, that's a banjo!"

I turned around and went back into my room.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John O'Brien For This Useful Post:

I like to take my lunch break and use it for practicing, a goal I meet as often as I can. Today I was sitting outside in a meditation garden on our campus practicing away when the CEO walked by and smiled. I think I was ramming through "Whiskey Before Breakfast" at the time. Later, while we both were on a conference call, he asked if I played my ukulele in that garden often.

Of course I said "yes", and told him it was to frighten away pigeons...
    Make America Grateful Again!

2013 Collings MF, 2017 Northfield NF2S, 2019 Northfield Big Mon F
    1968 Martin D12-20, 2008 Martin HD28, 2022 Martin CEO 7
    1978 Ibanez Artist "Flying Eagle" Masterclone Banjo

24. The following members say thank you to Russ Donahue for this post:

This comment isn't pointed at any of the responders to this thread. While I also think it's odd that so many people don't recognize mandolins when they see one, I don't understand why being asked what your instrument is ruffles some players' feathers. When someone asks me what the instrument is, I see it as a chance to make a connection with them. So many of us are so isolated. Having a friendly conversation with a stranger is a good thing, and, of all the things in the world to discuss with a stranger, mandolins has to be near the top of the good end of the list. I really, really don't understand why being asked what their instrument is offends some folks or draws sarcasm from them.

There are a few things I know a lot about, and many things about which I know very little. I'm always grateful when my questions are answered graciously.
    Steve

"They're approaching. That's very forward of them."

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SGraham For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen T View Post
    I always thought mandolins were pretty well-known as instruments. ... I have never run into anyone who didn't know what a mandolin is if I mention it in conversation.
    I think most people would recognize the word mandolin, and know vaguely that it was some kind of stringed instrument, some may think of a bowl back lute type device.

But in response to "what is this" I get the stare, and the urgent hope in their face that I will keep them from being embarrassed. Or a wrong guess.

Anyone who plays a musical instrument that isn't in high school band or a professional, is in a very small minority. With regional exceptions more folks per capita are interested in stamp padding than playing a musical instrument.

And then your not playing the guitar, or the piano, or even violin, or anything popular among the minority that play anything.

More people probably recognize bluegrass, or at least have heard of it, than could tell you what a mandolin looks like. I know many folks (general public) who think anything with a banjo is bluegrass, and could not name another instrument that typically plays in a bluegrass band.

I don't think it is intelligence. I think its exposure, and lack of interest. In my experience most folks are more interested in getting through the conversation without embarrassment, than learning anything about music.

I think I would get the exact same reaction if I told people I collected buttons. They don't want to know about my buttons, they want to be friendly and look like they take an interest, and get back to the cares of the day or get some ice cream or move on to the blacksmith exhibit.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

28. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

I have had people insist my bass is a cello and that I don't know what instrument I am playing. I don't play mandolin in public so I have not been asked about them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Franc Homier Lieu View Post
    So the people on the 'instruments like cardboard cafe' are probably lamenting the fact that no one, not even mandolin players, recognizes their instruments.
    you're a hoot! Loved your comment!
    Weber Custom Vintage A
    JBovier ELS Electric
    Weber F-Style Yellowstone HT

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I think most people would recognize the word mandolin, and know vaguely that it was some kind of stringed instrument, some may think of a bowl back lute type device.

At least no one has asked about slicing vegetables with it!

Anyone who plays a musical instrument that isn't in high school band or a professional, is in a very small minority. With regional exceptions more folks per capita are interested in stamp padding than playing a musical instrument.

Our odd high school (back in the '60s) was chock-full of music nerds. Besides band instruments, a lot of people played other, sometimes uncommon, instruments, and continued with that through adulthood.

And then your not playing the guitar, or the piano, or even violin, or anything popular among the minority that play anything.

More people probably recognize bluegrass, or at least have heard of it, than could tell you what a mandolin looks like. I know many folks (general public) who think anything with a banjo is bluegrass, and could not name another instrument that typically plays in a bluegrass band.

I think when I was growing up, banjos were mostly known for Dixieland type music, which would make anyone appreciate even the least talented bluegrass band.

I don't think it is intelligence. I think its exposure, and lack of interest. In my experience most folks are more interested in getting through the conversation without embarrassment, than learning anything about music.

Well, I was joking about the intelligence thing.

I think I would get the exact same reaction if I told people I collected buttons. They don't want to know about my buttons, they want to be friendly and look like they take an interest, and get back to the cares of the day or get some ice cream or move on to the blacksmith exhibit.
    You mean they don't buttonhole you for all the details? Heh heh.

It just seems that there are so many instruments that are even less known than mandolins. Personally, I have a bad case of KAS (Kelhorn etc. etc.) and I'll bet those would really elicit the blank stares. Lots of fun, esoteric instruments here http://www.susato.com/konakart/Welcome.do for those who want to further baffle people.
    "The Truth Shall Make Ye Fret" -- (Terry Pratchett, The Truth) R.I.P. and say "ook" to the Librarian for me.

From Peter Jenner - "That was nothing compared to their incredulity at the first Platypus arrival in England in 1799. ". I agree on that Peter - how in hades do you cook one of those things ?.
    Talking about the high cost of a good mandolin,i've found that many acoustic musicians,even those who've been playing for a long time,don't know much about mandolins in general. Mention the cost & their eyes widen.The only problem with doing that though,is that most of them think that you must be loaded. I bring 'em back down by telling them the cost of a Gil.or Dude. - that puts things back into perspective,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Lots of things, that many people are "into," that I'm borderline ignorant about. Guns: I can tell handgun from long gun, revolver from automatic, but beyond that things blur. Fishing: probably could distinguish a marlin from a mackerel –– if you made it "multiple choice" and gave me the names -- but that's about it. Automobiles: if I can't read the nameplate, they're all just "big cars" and "little cars." (Ya know, back in 1957 I could name all the Detroit makes and models, but that part of my brain has pretty much atrophied since.)

But I can pick out many WWII warplanes from their silhouettes, and give you the lineup of the 1956 Yankees. It's what interests you, and you acquire knowledge and familiarity about. Stringed instruments are very important to me, not so much to my wife and kids, and I see them begin to fidget when I try to explain differences between an F-4 and an F-5, or some such.

Researchers in the area of voting behavior try to ascertain the salience of different issues, and find it varies widely among individuals. They dug up one eccentric voter somewhere who based all his voting decisions on how the candidates stood on preventing forest fires. (Wonder who the pro-forest-fire candidate was?) Knowing stuff about stringed instruments is only salient to a small subset of the population; the others aren't "clueless," they just know the clues to a different set of crimes...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

If you really want to explain, you have to do it in the domain of the one who asked. Being a consultant, I have been asked once what I do for a living, and this has worked for me:

"Well, you know Lord of the Rings?"
    "Yes"
    "Grima Wormtongue, consultant of the king?"
    "Yes"
    "Now, a consultant is what I am, too"
    "Thanks, now I'll never get that picture of you out of my head..."
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

36. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

Aha, now I can use my mandolin as a weapon at the next gathering of my large group of in-laws. Lovely people, but good grief, do they run on about sports of all types! When I feel my eyes start to glaze or spin, I will deftly switch the conversation to A versus F and pick widths so they will all know what it is to experience that type of suffering. There has to be a term for being the victim of long, detailed, tedious, mostly one-sided conversation: adnauseumitis? It's somewhat similar to clockmakeritis, which is when you ask someone the time and they tell you how clocks are constructed and the history of every type of timepiece (this was invented as an analogy for computer whizzes who could not answer a direct question on a function without giving insane amounts of theory).

Back to the general public and their lack of mandolin knowledge: perhaps it would be handy to have a sheet of stringy thingy mug shots to hand out at public gatherings.
    "The Truth Shall Make Ye Fret" -- (Terry Pratchett, The Truth) R.I.P. and say "ook" to the Librarian for me.