Thread: Tuner Buttons - Kluson Deluxe

Default Tuner Buttons - Kluson Deluxe

I'm looking to see if there is any interest in replacement buttons for the Kluson Deluxe F style mandolin tuners. It seems that they are not available from any source and replacement tuners are not available either.

I'm looking into having them made if there is a need for them.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_1.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	122858  

Default Re: Tuner Buttons - Kluson Deluxe

Try Frank Ford's page "New Plastic Tuner Button".

The big problem I had was with my 1960s EM-200. They have these Klusons with odd-colored buttons -- not only did they shrink but they aged to a sort of snot color. i do not think that anyone makes that color button. I did find another set of F-style gold Klusons to replace them or I could use the buttons from that set, I suppose.

What kind of buttons are your originals?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Yea, the plastics were unstable, didnt age well .. I had a 60's A40n that did that..

.. so now (no need to set up your own factory) you can go with modified replacement buttons
    StewMac has a grained Ivoroid ..
    You, or a Luthier, I'd propose, modify the Schaller ones,
    that are not (ala F5) drilled all the way thru for the little screw on the end.

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_...ner_Knobs.html

and epoxy them in place.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    The big problem I had was with my 1960s EM-200. They have these Klusons with odd-colored buttons -- not only did they shrink but they aged to a sort of snot color. i do not think that anyone makes that color button. I did find another set of F-style gold Klusons to replace them or I could use the buttons from that set, I suppose.
    I don't know if you can see what these buttons look like from this picture from the Rainbow Guitars (dealer) web site, but these are sort of translucent off-white plastic. Very problematic to find ones that actually match. They also get more greenish with age.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot 2014-08-20 at 5.41.05 PM.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	122940  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Yep, that's what mine are/were. All buttons totally disintegrated now.

Thanks, going to give that a try.