Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paying to Play

Default Paying to Play

Not just for the little guy anymore.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...perry-20140819
    willi

Default Re: Paying to Play

Ah. I didn't realize the NFL was in such dire financial straits that they need donations in order to survive. If I cared at all about football, I'd be willing to send them a couple of quarters to keep them in champagne ...
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

3. The following members say thank you to Randi Gormley for this post:

Nevin 

Darn it, now I'll never get my slot.

If I needed to perform that bad, I think I'd be tempted to cut out the middle man and just pay people to listen to me.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

6. The following members say thank you to Astro for this post:

Jim 

Incredible! I don't watch the Super Bowl generally. I started to and then I saw the ball sail into the end zone, and the Seattle Seahawks score a safety, I knew it was going to be a long afternoon for all my local friends who live and die with the Broncos....
    It was right around that time Peyton Manning and Bill Belechik, or however you spell his name, were out playing golf together, and I came to the realization that it's a job. Not unlike me going in everyday and inputting data into a database, it's just more fun to see a guy throw a football, then watch someone input data. Whatever the outcome is on this, I'm sure you won't see Mandolins in a halftime show anytime soon.

Perhaps if we all chip in we could get a slot at halftime to perform the Mandolin Cafe breakdown. bb

They're not asking for money because they're in sure straights, they're asking to be paid because they know people will indeed pay for a chance to perform. Data shows that whatever artist performs at the Super Bowl ends up seeing a big spike in itunes downloads and sales. It's not much different than paying for a Super Bowl commercial,

It was a smart decision IMO. Artist were never paid in the first place to perform at the Super Bowl besides having their expenses paid for
    "When you learn an old time fiddle tune, you make a friend for life"

LongBlackVeil, they're charging for the band's future earnings?

No, just pure greed based on a margin.

In 1973 in the Country band I used to get $35 a nite and all I could drink. Now I spend $35 in gas alone, and then the meal, and then the drink and, oh, yeah, no fee for me...

THE MAN IS STILL THE MAN.

11. The following members say thank you to High Lonesome Valley for this post:

GDAE 

There's a difference between greed, and realizing that you have something to offer that's worth paying for. The nfl is a business, if they can make more money in some kind of way, well you better believe they're gonna go for it. There's nothing wrong with that IMO.

If the acts are willing to pay, then obviously it's worth paying for.

One thing that I DO think is wrong, is that the NFL is considered a non profit entity. That should be changed, but it's been that way for awhile, it's just that the structure of the nfl has changed and their tax status has not yet caught up to that, it's not that the nfl is evil or someting

garded

"it's not that the nfl is evil or someting"

I know there are a lot of sports fans here, but that's POV IMHO. And how they get away with that kind of tax structure is more criminal than evil. Somehow pro sports have gotten this aura of wholesomeness that allows the owners to get cities to support building stadiums for them and give them status that allows them to not be taxed. Meanwhile a good portion of their players leave cripples and broke. Not so for the owners, they are making $$$ at every turn. I guess I can see the "whatever the market will bare" but it will be interesting to see who in the music pro's are going to go for this.

It's not like we've not all been hammered by this illusion of exposure for forever. This is truly one of the times I hope both parties would do something different, but they probably won't.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyP View Post
    "it's not that the nfl is evil or someting"

I know there are a lot of sports fans here, but that's POV IMHO. And how they get away with that kind of tax structure is more criminal than evil. Somehow pro sports have gotten this aura of wholesomeness that allows the owners to get cities to support building stadiums for them and give them status that allows them to not be taxed. Meanwhile a good portion of their players leave cripples and broke. Not so for the owners, they are making $$$ at every turn. I guess I can see the "whatever the market will bare" but it will be interesting to see who in the music pro's are going to go for this.

It's not like we've not all been hammered by this illusion of exposure for forever. This is truly one of the times I hope both parties would do something different, but they probably won't.
    The thing is, they were granted that tax status back in the 60s. Back then, they were not the profit powerhouse that they are today, so the non profit status made more sense under the 501c requirements.

Now things have changed and the nfl has really transformed over the years, IMO it's up the IRS and the government to change that status, it's not like the NFL is supposed to say "hey, we would like to pay more taxes please" there has already been a motion in congress to revoke their non profit status, so it's probably just a matter of time.

It will be interesting to see what shakes out of this.....will anyone with any fame or recognition really want to play the Super Bowl that badly? The NFL is stupid, in my opinion, on this issue.

I went through a brief football fan stage in my earlier days. Now I just think its all stupid. I mean the games can be entertaining occasionally but whats with people getting so caught up for "their" team. I don't get it but I realize I'm in the minority. This really hits home when I go to someones house party and try to clump up in "manclave conversation" with the guys --only to realize I have no idea what sports they are talking about and no interest in recounting games or offering opinions on whose the best at what. Just gets worse during football season. How can so many get so fanatical ? Doesn't anyone want to talk about the outdoors or music? I feel like I'm from another planet sometimes.

Even the commercials stunk last year. But I'm sure I'll watch again. The food is good.

Paying to play in various forms is not unusual in the arts and early on in ones career it might even pay off in the long run. It is called the "facts of life" and though nobody likes it most everyone does it for the exposure. Especially when it is the only option available to gain exposure. But of course nobody likes to admit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Doesn't anyone want to talk about the outdoors or music? I feel like I'm from another planet sometimes.
    So, er, Bill. Been outside lately?

19. The following members say thank you to OldSausage for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    No but I've read a lot about it on the internet.

21. The following members say thank you to Astro for this post:

Astro, I want to talk about the outdoors...& music. NASCAR and the music of 900 horsepower. I practice picking throughout each entire race as I watch the TV out of the corner of my eye. Very therapeutic. Go 24 car!

Quote Originally Posted by Hudmister View Post
    Astro, I want to talk about the outdoors...& music. NASCAR and the music of 900 horsepower. I practice picking throughout each entire race as I watch the TV out of the corner of my eye. Very therapeutic. Go 24 car!
    Unfortunately, I play most of my music over the internet too.

I can watch occasional football, soccer, or tennis, but would rather do yardwork or get a root canal than watch nascar, golf, or bowling.

24. The following members say thank you to Astro for this post:

I actually can only watch games where there's something at stake. Regular season games of any sport are really just boring. Even playoff games I'll usually try to watch and end up picking instead. Championship games are usually entertaining though and the Super Bowl is a big event that's fun for me to get into.

So I'm not a huge nfl fan or sports fan really, I just don't get the "greedy pig" reaction most people (that I've talked to anyway) are having over this

People seem to really hate any business that tries to make more money these days

I think we should get paid to listen/watch the halftime show.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

27. The following members say thank you to Don Grieser for this post:

I hope no "big" acts fall for this crap. But somebody will.

NFL = No Effing Longer!

So: local/regional taxpayers should pony up to build stadiums (stadia?) for profit-making football teams. God forbid we should lose the Altoona Stranglers or whatever to Pocatello or Dubuque.

Colleges should maintain a "football farm system" for the NFL, and should pay their coaches more than that geeky prof in the bio lab who's coming up with a cancer cure. Did you know in some states the State U football coach is paid more than the governor, and surely more than the university president? "Students" (note the quotation marks) whose academic qualifications include "big," "fast," and "mean" should be offered full scholarships, so they can prep for a career with the Stranglers. And this too should be subsidized by state taxpayers, with an assist from student-non-athlete tuitions.

Profit-making businesses, a.k.a. football teams, should be given access rights over regional broadcast and cable media, also should be able to determine who can start a similar business, where it can be located, who can own it, and how it can be run. If they were most other types of business, they'd be monopolies subject to anti-trust, but hey, they're just wholesome li'l athletic organizations, so…

Also, those publicly-financed facilities should be managed in such a way that the comfort of suite-buying high-rollers is maximized, and Mr./Ms. Average Joe/Joan has to mortgage the ol' homestead to afford to take the family to a meaningless exhibition game, featuring 175 players you never heard of, and will never hear of again.

And, these tax exempt teams should be able to take this golden tide of revenue billions, and use it to pay some less-than-savory, athletically skilled bruisers, salaries that are many multiples of what's paid the folks who police our streets, put out our fires, deal with our sick, counsel our addicted or troubled, or teach our kids. Until, of course, one of those players gets his "bell rung" once too often, in which case -- under the bus!

And now, musicians should pony up big bucks for the "privilege" of making even more money for the teams, the league and the networks. Glad it's all being done in the name of "sport" -- you know, like your kid's soccer league or swim team.

Maybe we need a National Mandolin League, to funnel the prospective zillions in revenue to a select group of pickers. Taxpayer-funded jamming facilities! Subsidized scholarships to aspiring cross-pickers! Pay the Cafe´moderators as much as SEC head coaches! Free F-5's for all! How do we get this started…?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

I thought it was Labor Day, but I guess it's Rant Day.

32. The following members say thank you to OldSausage for this post:

I will say that, although the NFL gets all the tax benefits of a non profit organization. They also can bring in ALOT of money for their cities. Even if they're not a good team, having a Super Bowl in your city is a GIANT jackpot for the city. Lots of celebrities and big spenders pouring into your city for the weekend and all kinds of events.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

If I may, I'd like to misappropriate an old quote about misappropriation of public funds:

It will be a great day when our schools have all the money they need, and the NFL has to have a bake sale to cover their expenses.

The numbers in pro sports are so huge they are hard to comprehend, and being so bound up with speculation only compounds the confusion. Is a player being drafted a good risk? Will he come to be worth what his salary will grow to be? Will the team assembled draw enough of a crowd and sell enough merch and accrue enough advertising revenue for the organization to be profitable? Does advertising expenditure lead to proven increases in profits? Are the inanely enormous Super Bowl advertising rates money well spent? Do promotions and their expenditures definitely lead to increased profits?Do owners and management types justify having accountants and lawyers on retainer and believe their figures and advice are true and reliable as differentiated from the players'?

I must admit, I don't really understand any of it. I see a lot of money being thrown around and have no idea how much good any of it does. A lot of these expenses seem nonsensical or counter-intuitive, and even the ones whose purposes do make sense, their size is daunting. But then, I don't understand insurance, where you are paying out a lot of money hoping something bad doesn't happen, just in case it does.

I dunno. I think it's a wash. One hand washing the other, quid pro quo * that system has been working OK for a long time; if it ain't broke, why fix it. The money they're talking about can't be much when you look at the budget for the whole shebang. Why stir up trouble and risk driving away viewers as well as performers?

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    No but I've read a lot about it on the internet.
    That's why we have laptops, tablets, iPads, smart phones, and such. Beam me outdoors, Scotty!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

35. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post: