Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New pick, but which ?

Smile New pick, but which ?

Hi folks !
    I mostly play traditionnal irish music on a The Loar mandolin with a DUNLOP USA Jazztone 208 pick. I want to get a "high value" pick but without loosing the feeling of my old 208 (point end, thickness and size). I've read lot of posts on the forum but I must admit that it is very hard to make a choice. Can you give me some help to choose among all brands and models of WEGEN, BLUECHIP, RED BEAR, etc ? Thank you !

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to helric For This Useful Post:

Default Re: New pick, but wich ?

I pretty much only play Irish trad and use a Bluechip TAD40 which is large but not as pointed as you are used to. But the Wegen Bluegrass pick might be just the thing to try. They are pretty similar, more or less. Or just keep using the picks you like - nothing wrong with them!
    John Liestman -
    Eye new ewe wood lye kit!

4. The following members say thank you to liestman for this post:

Wegens are a cheaper but yet still good alternative to the bluechips

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jazzjune18 For This Useful Post:

I've had all those high-end picks and prefer the new Dunlop Primetones to them all.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Caleb For This Useful Post:

Default Re: New pick, but which ?

The Blue Chip Jazz series are almost identical to the Dunlop Jazz. They come in two different sizes with the same shape and several different thicknesses. I think you would like the BC better because they have a better grip than the Dunlops.

D'andrea Proplecs are a quality choice- nice warm tone. Jazzmando.com sells them, along with the Vpick. Both are affordable. Best way to get a Bluechip and not feel guilty is to ask for it as a Xmas/birthday gift. My family was glad to oblige.

11. The following members say thank you to JH Murray for this post:

Any pick costing over $2 will greatly improve the quality of the sellers life. If that is your goal then go ahead and buy it. It may even make you feel a bit better to have improved someones life. Whether it will improve your playing or the sound of your playing is just a matter of opinion. It wasn't long ago that a goose feather was the pick of choice.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bart mcneil For This Useful Post:

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

What characteristics are you trying to get that your current favorite pick doesn't have? Just because a pick (or any piece of equipment for that matter) is "high value" doesn't mean it's going to suit your needs or desires any better.
    I play mainly Irish too, and my current favorite is also that new Dunlop Primetone triangle, 1.4mm with the grip. I only wish they made them a bit thicker. My former fav was the Dunlop 3mm triangle.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

@liestman : in fact, I want to sightly change my sound and test news picks.
    I think that the TAD40 is too round for me. I tried to play with a Jazztone 207 wich is rounder than the 208 and really didn't like the feeling.
    @jazzjune18 : do you have a suggestion for a Wegen model ?
    @Caleb : Ah ? I didn't know these primetones.... They seem to be thicker than the 208 but the size and point seem good. I'll give them a try.
    @mandobassman : the Jazz60 could do the job. It looks interesting.
    @JH Murray : I don't know anything about D'andrea proplecs. I should try one of them. I've got three Vpicks. I really love the shapes and the sickness but for two of them they sound dead to my ears and the last one produces a lot of *clicks* when I play.

Edit :
    @Paul Busman : as I said, I want to change my sound. I have always played this mando with thick picks. I find the sound more consistant even if my strings are generally 10-34/36 gauges. This is not very academic for playing irish but I feel good with, at least 2mm picks.

My friend Patrick, from Galway , plays with the same pick, whether it be Guitar, Tenor-ITB or Mandolin.

If you have a Favorite pick shape try the same shape in some of the more costly materials ..

I'm OK with Fender's big 'Wankel' Triangle 346 shape , so when someone was selling a CT55
    on the classifieds.. & communicated back and forth much better
    than BC themselves ever deemed to, I got it.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

That's what I thought. I want to keep the same shape and thickness of the JD 208 but with a different material. I think i'll give a try to the Primetone. I hope it will not be too thick. I think that the 208 is only 2mm. Not sure....

Quote Originally Posted by helric View Post
    That's what I thought. I want to keep the same shape and thickness of the JD 208 but with a different material. I think i'll give a try to the Primetone. I hope it will not be too thick. I think that the 208 is only 2mm. Not sure....
    2mm is pretty thick. Anyway one of the Primetone picks are shaped anything like the JD 208 and the thickest one is 1.5mm, but they are great picks IMO.

19. The following members say thank you to mandobassman for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    2mm is pretty thick. Anyway one of the Primetone picks are shaped anything like the JD 208 and the thickest one is 1.5mm, but they are great picks IMO.
    Are you sure the thickest one is 1.5 mm ? I just look at the Dunlop site and see that two thickness are available 3 and 5mm. And the pick on the bottom right looks really like my 208.
    http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/Primetone-picks

Like Liestman, I'm Irish Trad almost exclusively. After years of picking through picks, here are my favorites:

1. Jim Dunlop 512P14 Primetone 1.4mm Triangle Sculpted Plectra Guitar Picks
    2. Blue Chips TAD 40 & CT 55
    Just visiting.

1923 Gibson A jr Paddlehead mandolin
    Newish Muddy M-4 Mandolin
    New Deering Goodtime Special open back 17 Fret Tenor Banjo

22. The following members say thank you to Loretta Callahan for this post:

helric 

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    I've had all those high-end picks and prefer the new Dunlop Primetones to them all.
    I second this, for the money they are an outstanding pick. Why do you want a "high value pick" ?
    Playing:

2013 Girouard A5 S/N 63
    2013 Weber Gallatin A

Quote Originally Posted by helric View Post
    Are you sure the thickest one is 1.5 mm ? I just look at the Dunlop site and see that two thickness are available 3 and 5mm. And the pick on the bottom right looks really like my 208.
    http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/Primetone-picks
    I'll never understand why Dunlop did this, but they have two completely different lines of picks that are both named "Primetone". The Primetone picks that have been getting lots of attention around here are actually called "Primetone Sculpted Plectra" and it's been confusing a lot of people. They're fairly new and are just starting to receive a lot of followers because many say they rival Blue Chip for tone at a much lower cost. These are the ones I was referring to.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/primetone-tri-print
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mandobassman For This Useful Post:

My favorite is the JazzMando Pro Plec, which is 1.5mm in thickness. I keep finding other 'favorites' and end up returning to the JazzMando Pro Plec again and again. My second favorite (and some days the order of these two is reversed) is the Jim Dunlop Prime Tone 1.3mm semi-round. As for the V-Pick, I like its feel, but it makes too much 'click' for me. I have tried to get used to it, but have not yet succeeded.
    Last edited by Bob Clark; Aug-23-2014 at 8:46pm. Reason: Typo.

OK, I'll throw in with the Dunlop Primetones. Great pick at a great price.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Bronow For This Useful Post:

Mandobassman. I am curious. What is the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    I'll never understand why Dunlop did this, but they have two completely different lines of picks that are both named "Primetone". The Primetone picks that have been getting lots of attention around here are actually called "Primetone Sculpted Plectra" and it's been confusing a lot of people. They're fairly new and are just starting to receive a lot of followers because many say they rival Blue Chip for tone at a much lower cost. These are the ones I was referring to.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/primetone-tri-print
    Thanks for the clarification. The "sculpted plectra" Primetones are the ones I was referring to.

31. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

Thank you for those informations. As I wrote precedently I just want to keep the shape an thickness of my old 208. If I want something most expansive that is just because I want to test these high value picks. I never tried them (only tested 3 V-picks) and this is just curiosity. I must admit that during the 4 past years I tried to play with a lot of picks of different shapes, materials and thickness. I prefer the 208, even if it is a pick wich needs to be played heavily/hard to produce a loud sound (due to the material, I think). It makes me feel the hardness of the strings as I play and this is what I need for what I play. I feel the swing better if I can say. I find that thinner pick are more difficult to play for me.
    However, I'm very grateful for your advices about the "sculpted plectra" Primetones and the JazzMando Pro Plec. I think that will order a couple of those for testing them.

I'll through in a vote for the Dunlop 1.1 ultrex picks - I honestly can't detect a sound difference between these and the new primetone ones (which are made from the same material). The differences are that the primtones have a rough "grippy" surface for the fingers which you may or may not like, and a right-handed polished speed bevel which may make those fast triplets easier (or not).

34. The following members say thank you to Tavy for this post:

helric 

Quote Originally Posted by jazzjune18 View Post
    Mandobassman. I am curious. What is the difference?
    I'm not sure, but can see on the Dunlop web site that they are completely different.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

36. The following members say thank you to mandobassman for this post:

I've played with Dunlop 1.0 and 1.14 Ultex picks. The sound was smooth and good to my ears but the problem was the size of them and I found them little and too slippy, especially for playing high gauges strings. I never played with some of these polished speed bevel. Are they really efficients for an easy fast playing style ?

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

I like the new Dunlop Primetones. Being basically boracic I am not in the Bluechip game.

39. The following members say thank you to Shelagh Moore for this post: