Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comments on this inherited Gibson 6160 mando and case?

Default Comments on this inherited Gibson 6160 mando and case?

Here's a Gibson 6160 mando and case (see thumbnail) my fiance just inherited, and any comments or insight into its history, value, rarity, etc. are quite welcome. It's in very good shape, with no major visible flaws aside from some minor scratches and a few very small dings. and the case is pretty intriguing too, loading from the bottom like one of those giant airplanes where the whole nose opens up. Anyway it hasn't been played in decades and the tuners are really tight, so it does need a little attention, but any comments or info anyone might have would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandopix.JPG 
Views:	783 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	123115  

Default Re: Comments on this inherited Gibson 6160 mando and case?

That's not the model number, it's a serial number.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

That is a very old "Orville" labeled Gibson and very cool! Congrats, looks like it only needs some new strings and I bit of TLC. I would get a new case but keep the old one as it might be worth restoring. Enjoy!

Sean

Thanks -- I didn't mean to present it as the model number, necessarily -- it's the only number I've got!

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by esslewis View Post
    ... the tuners are really tight ...
    DO NOT OIL!! Get down to your local bicycle shop and pick up some Tri-Flow, then follow these instructions:
    http://www.lutherie.net/tuner.maintenance.html

And, oh yeah: NICE mandolin!! Several years later, with different pickguard & soundhole rosette, it would probably qualify as a Gibson A-1 model, or at least somewhere in the the A thru A-4 line.

Someone w/ actual knowledge will probably chime in, but I'll guess that the 6160 serial number puts it somewhere around 1910.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Thanks, folks. Don't worry, we're not doing anything to it right now until we find out more about what it needs and then we'll likely leave it to an expert. I look forward to playing it though, fixed up and re-strung. I do also know that there's some info inside the upper body that I'll post here when I get it. I did also find a #6147 from about 1906, apparently, so Ed, your info looks to be pretty accurate. More info to come; thanks again!

This just in... the stamp inside the body where the neck connects says Order. No. 369.... Any significance there?
    Last edited by esslewis; Aug-26-2014 at 4:16pm.

If you take it to someone to have it checked out, don't let them talk you into new tuners. The advice that Ed gave above it good advice. I followed those same directions to clean and lubricate a set of old tuners that I couldn't turn without a wrench. After the cleaning, they worked like new. From what I can see in those photos, the mandolin looks to be in excellent condition. it's a beautiful instrument. However, you might still want to have someone check the internal braces to make sure nothing is loose.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Thanks, Larry -- you bet, I'd go with keeping it as original as possible and I bet the tri-flow treatment will help a ton.

FON (number on the neck block) indicates 1906 manufacture and the serial number indicates about 1907. That one looks to be in very nice condition. Dan Beimborn, who runs the Mandolin Archive, I imagine wouold be interested in higher res photos. This one, serial number 6147 is estimated for 1906 shipment date.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Looks like a very nice mandlolin. Also, one of the coolest headstock logo patterns that Gibson ever made, IMHO. I'd second Jim's suggestion to contact Dan about the mandolin archive. Congratulations.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

Thanks, Jim -- yes, I did see that #6147 listing. Your info helps to narrow it down pretty well. It is is remarkably good shape and is probably a bit more of a "find" than we originally thought!

What a cool find! This is a good place to start gathering information, you will hear more than you probably imagined from these good folks!
    Looks to be in pretty good shape. Happy learning.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

These early Orville Gibson built instruments rarely survive in such nice condition. Service the tuning machines, check the braces and put on some new strings and you're set to play---you really should learn.
    As far as insurance value is concerned, I would say $1500-$1800 or so (perhaps more because it is so early). The market is a bit depressed at this time and they are selling for $1000 and less at the moment, but doesn't sound like you are interested in doing so.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

Blog Entries

Its a real cool mandolin. I have only seen those kinds of cases for bowl back mandolins. Pretty cool.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I don't understand why anyone is talking about this as an Orville built instrument. By 1906 Orville apparently wasn't too involved in the everyday processes at Gibson.

http://siminoff.net/gibson-background/

Jeff, those cases were pretty common on inexpensive mandolins of a little bit later era than this one.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

It has the Orville label. But it's a factory instrument, yessir. We see that beautiful silkscreen headstock logo on a small number of instruments from around 1907. It isn't a fancy mandolin but appears to be in great shape.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Right, factory built, not by Orville's hand. Thanks for the correction.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    If you take it to someone to have it checked out, don't let them talk you into new tuners. The advice that Ed gave above it good advice. I followed those same directions to clean and lubricate a set of old tuners that I couldn't turn without a wrench. After the cleaning, they worked like new. From what I can see in those photos, the mandolin looks to be in excellent condition. it's a beautiful instrument. However, you might still want to have someone check the internal braces to make sure nothing is loose.
    I did call a very respected luthier locally and he said 3-in-1 oil is what they use and should do the trick for my tuners. I applied some and they are better, but still odd -- most of them will, at some point, while turning them, come to a spot where they turn very easily. Then as you keep turning, they tighten up a lot. Seems to be something in the fit of the shaft and sprocket, where you'd get these easy/difficult spots in every rotation. A few of the tuners are still smooth all the way around though....

The late Paul Hostetter's page on tuner maintenance could give you some hints on getting them right. It is here.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by esslewis View Post
    I did call a very respected luthier locally and he said 3-in-1 oil is what they use and should do the trick for my tuners. I applied some and they are better, but still odd -- most of them will, at some point, while turning them, come to a spot where they turn very easily. Then as you keep turning, they tighten up a lot. Seems to be something in the fit of the shaft and sprocket, where you'd get these easy/difficult spots in every rotation. A few of the tuners are still smooth all the way around though....
    I have done everything I can to my '22 tuners, they still have the same thing yours does. Works great, binds, works great. I have been thru them several times. I put new tuners on, keep the originals. Not every tuner set will benefit from cleaning and lubrication.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

23. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Well, if OP's been lubing and turning those tuners for six-plus years, and they still don't work smoothly, I'd say that particular strategy has been given a fair test. Probably time for a set of new tuners, but keep the old ones in the case, or at least handy, in case #6160 ever goes on the collectors' market.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Well I slapped a new set of strings on this baby today and it came to life quite nicely. Some of the tuners are still a bit of a bear to work with but it's all quite functional. It has a much nicer and ringier acoustic tone than my Godin A8 but that's to be expected. I'm sure it hasn't been played in decades so it's nice to bring it back to life a little bit and fulfill its mission, even if it's a hack like me playing it! It'll be the "around the house" mandolin until further notice....

Teacher, repair person

If you can't get the original tuners working smoothly, the Stew-mac Golden Age #2505 and #2506 tuners are drop-in replacements and will work well, and installing them will not devalue your mandolin as long as you keep the original tuners in the case pocket.

If you ever decide to sell the mandolin, you can re-install the original tuners and let the new owner wrestle with them if he wants to.

Sometimes the old tuners can be straightened out, sometimes not.

27. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

When Orville sold his business to a group of investors they soon learned his methods didn't translate too well to mass production. So this is one of the first versions of a more production friendly design.
    Three or four years after this one they would again change the design to the familiar ovals that were made between 1909-10 and into the 20's of which there are so many still around today. Those earlier ones are quite a bit more rare.

29. The following members say thank you to Jim Hilburn for this post: