Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Comments on this inherited Gibson 6160 mando and case?

Default Re: Comments on this inherited Gibson 6160 mando and case?

I wasn't clear on this, but since that original post, the mandolin has just set in the corner waiting for me to get around to it. So yes, yesterday I did put a ne set of strings on it. Tuners are functional, but still stiff at some point in their rotation. At another point (like a quarter-turn later), they turn pretty easily. Kinda weird there -- I don't know enough about tuners to know why they're like this. I'm considering new tuners (does anyone have any insight on this?), but for now, they're working and this mandolin is sounding very nice!

May want to have a qualified repair guy give it a once over and setup. By ‘qualified’, I’m referring to someone who has experience working on mandolins. I don’t know where you live but folks here can get you going in the right direction.

Here’s a nice article by Cafe member Jake. https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/20...-mandolin.html

3. The following members say thank you to mtucker for this post:

I'm in the Seattle area and I always take my stuff to Mike Lull's (RIP) shop in Bellevue. Might do that!

Just learned that, according to GuitarInsight website, this is a 1907 Gibson mando, made in Kalamazoo MI.

Was a shocker to hear Mike had passed. He could repair anything but built some pretty wonderful bass guitars. RIP

7. The following members say thank you to mtucker for this post:

Some great guitars of all kinds! -- Tele models, Strat models, etc. There are three Lull guitars in my band (none mine, alas!)
    Very sudden, yes, and very sad. The shop seems to be in good hands with his sons and retained staff though.

9. The following members say thank you to esslewis for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mtucker View Post
    May want to have a qualified repair guy give it a once over and setup. By ‘qualified’, I’m referring to someone who has experience working on mandolins. I don’t know where you live but folks here can get you going in the right direction. Here’s a nice article by Cafe member Jake. https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/20...-mandolin.html
    Very cool! His mando is almost identical to mine -- but his has some added floral pattern on the headstock, pickguard and tuning pegs, patterned tuner plates and a little different rosette. He had some nice info on this era of Gibson mandos, too. Thanks very much for the link..

11. The following members say thank you to esslewis for this post:

I owned one of Mike’s early Jazz basses and often wish I had kept it. It was so light and resonant (like 8.5lbs), it just sang. I traded it away for an early Wal which I still have but often regretted my decision. And now even more just because.

13. The following members say thank you to mtucker for this post: