Thread: Outlanders

Blog Entries

Default Outlanders

I wonder if any one knows anything about the sound track on the "Outlanders" TV series on Starz network. I heard a deliciious Aire being played and I did not catch the credits, (if it was posted) as to who was playing or the name of the music.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Outlanders

My apologies, I have since googled this and found a significant wealth of information on this on You Tube. Credited to Bear McCreary. Still would appreciate any other info. I did a search on the Cafe and didn't find anything. It was so new on TV that I didn't expect to find so much available on You Tube.

Blog Entries

I think I may have made a mistake on the name. I think the series is just called "Outlander" not Outlanders. Adding the s gets you to a Sci fi movie I think, and Bear McCreary seems to have done a lot of other movie theme music. The series I am talking about takes place in the Scottish Highland area.

Blog Entries

IMDB info on the series
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3006802/

Music by;
    Bear McCreary
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0566970/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cr10

But there are more composers an arrangers involved too;

Jessica Rae Huber ... scoring manager / composer: additional music (10 episodes, 2014-2015)
    Steve Kaplan ... scoring engineer (8 episodes, 2014-2015)
    Bear McCreary ... composer: theme music (8 episodes, 2014-2015)
    Sam Ewing ... scoring assistant / composer: additional music (8 episodes, 2014)
    Edward Trybek ... music consultant (8 episodes, 2014)
    Henri Wilkinson ... music consultant (7 episodes, 2014)
    Olivia Blissett ... scoring coordinator (6 episodes, 2014)
    Raya Yarbrough ... singer: theme song / vocalist (5 episodes, 2014)
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

5. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post:

Blog Entries

Bear McCreary is really a rising star. He's been associated with some really great shows, Battlestar Galactica, Walking Dead, Black Sails, and Outlander. At least, I've enjoyed his contributions to those shows... especially Battlestar Galactica.

jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

7. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

I can't resist the temptation to do a bit of promotion for Visit Scotland here.
    I'm familiar with most of the locations which I've seen in the various Youtubes, and they have selected some great places to film in. And they really are all as beautiful as you might imagine!

http://www.visitscotland.com/about/a...ure/outlander/
    David A. Gordon

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dagger Gordon For This Useful Post:

As another Scot I heartily endorse Dagger's plug above!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Kelly For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Visited Scotland, the Highlands and the Isle of Skye six or seven years ago. Really beautiful. Hope to do another trip some day. September I visited the North western area of Ireland. Thanks for the info. I'm going to transcribe a couple of those for my own use if I can't find the music.

13. The following members say thank you to Jesse Harmon for this post:

The Skye Boat Song features in Outlander as well...

15. The following members say thank you to Eddie Sheehy for this post:

fwiw, I hadn't heard of Outlander until today, when a bunch of us did a church service and used Skye Boat Song/Hector the Hero for the communion and someone mentioned that Skye Boat song was played over the credits of the tv program. I have no idea if that's true; I asked whether any of the music in the show was familiar -- or even the types of tunes, if any, were familiar -- strathspeys or reels -- and my source didn't know. So, anybody who's seen this show -- is there music in it? I remember the wonderful fiddle music in Firefly. It's nice to think the people putting together these things are folk music fans ...
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Yes, they altered the lyrics of the Skye Boat song for the opening of the show. There is music in the show, and it's a mixture of traditional Scottish tunes and 1940s stuff (the show jumps back and forth between 1743 and 1945). The traditional music includes fiddle tunes, bagpipes, and lots of cultural songs which were sung when marching, riding, waulking wool, etc. I think they did a great job bringing traditional music out for this show, as well as heavy use of the Gaelic language.

I got into the series and liked the theme music. Here is my arrangement of the "Skye Boat Song" for unaccompanied mandolin.

19. The following members say thank you to avaldes for this post:

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

The show's music credits reflect the current trend in recording for tv and films. Now that everyone has home studios (that is, a laptop with some nice software and headphones), a show's producers or production company can put out a call for music and then audition the submissions, or go shopping on services like Taxi and Pump Audio. My guess is that McCreary does a good bit of this in collaboration with some of the other production staff.

This has good and bad aspects... we don't see as many credits for specific players, for the producers might choose a single theme
    or riff from one writer and then build other music around it, or ask the writer to fill it out or change it in particular ways. Good news is that all those folks are listed as composers because there may be a bit of 'back end' royalty compensation for them for original composition. That's often mutually advantageous because the show producers don't have to pay (or pay as much) up front to the composers and the payment comes from future earnings of the show; it's also good for composers because royalty payments can
    (can, but do not always...) continue for the life of the show, which in the digital era, can be essentially forever.

Composing for film and tv is an interesting field in the Digital Era. 'Outlander' is a fun series and the music works really well with
    the writing and the visuals.

stv
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    http://cdbaby.com/Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers1
    There Was A Time
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers2

Blog Entries

I like the 'Skye Boat Song' but I also liked 'When summer ends' and Heart of the Heartlands' for both mandolin and harmonica. I have transcribed both but I am still mystified what is acceptable to cover in a video, for instance on Facebook or on the Cafe etc.

Blog Entries

Would you share your transcribed "Heart of the Heartlands" sheetmusic?
    I think, therefore, I pick.

Blog Entries

Personal message me with your e'mail.

Blog Entries

By the way, if you are wondering where 'Heart of the Heartlands' and 'When summer ends' suddenly came from, it was the from the TV series on the Lewis and Clark expedition. I was working on transcripts on both series with guitar students, and for my own personal interest, and got the two temporarily mixed up in my head.