Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1906 f4

Default 1906 f4

What's that worth.Currently in the classifieds.I have no connection to the mandolin sale.
    Just curious about the value.
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/78939

Default Re: 1906 f4

Impossible to say, unless you have a lot of additional pics...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	138.2 KB 
ID:	123128

Views:	287 
Size:	165.1 KB 
ID:	123125

Views:	291 
Size:	121.9 KB 
ID:	123123

Views:	302 
Size:	149.6 KB 
ID:	123124

Views:	243 
Size:	149.9 KB 
ID:	123126

Views:	243 
Size:	154.5 KB 
ID:	123127
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein
    "We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same."
    ~Carlos Castaneda

looks pretty impressive to me so far. seems to have a rectangular fitted case ($$$), seems to have gold-plated or brass Handel tuners (rare)... i don't see any major cracks (is that a hole in pick guard material?) or such, but would really need a good set of pix. the neck could be warped, top could be sunken. really need to see it in hand. what say ye mates? a VERY impressive looking item thus far...

What's it "worth?" What someone's willing to pay for it. Looks like collectors' fare to me; surely a rara avis.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Well obviously it's worth what someone's willing to pay.I was more curious as to whether anyone would put a figure on it.
    Re the brass(gold) machine heads..there is another of the same vintage here with silver coloured machine heads.
    http://www.mandolinarchive.com/gibson/serial/5260
    Brass Handels.Is that the norm?

7. The following members say thank you to davidb1 for this post:

I'd say $7500 if there are any unseen problems, $9500 if not. A shaped loar-style case would IMO add $2000.. which it appears to have (unusual/unique padding?). Add another $500-1000 if it's a really finely figured single-piece back, as many others in this batch are..

The crumbling pickguard is a shame, but not too big a deal to replace and re-inlay the star & crescent.

SO if everything checks out, back is nice, case is in good shape/unique.. probably a $12,500 instrument.

This is a very rare & unusual instrument, you only see a few of these come up for sale in your lifetime.

Deduct a bit if the peghead is cracked or scroll broken/missing/repaired, sometimes the torch can be quite fragile and prone to chips/loss there too

Edit- I see a guarantee label instead of Orville's face. It went back to gibson post 1911 or so for some reason. Might be the reason for the case as well, Frank Ford documented one out west coast way that had a Loar or Fern period shaped case made for it as well. Tuners (With elaborate stamping & gold color) and inlaid bridge are originals, so is tailpiece. Inlay looks in very good condition on neck (would like to see the torch!)
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

I don't suffer from MAS much anymore, but when I do..............

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by danb View Post
    I'd say $7500 if there are any unseen problems, $9500 if not. A shaped loar-style case would IMO add $2000.. which it appears to have (unusual/unique padding?). Add another $500-1000 if it's a really finely figured single-piece back, as many others in this batch are..

The crumbling pickguard is a shame, but not too big a deal to replace and re-inlay the star & crescent.

SO if everything checks out, back is nice, case is in good shape/unique.. probably a $12,500 instrument.

This is a very rare & unusual instrument, you only see a few of these come up for sale in your lifetime.

Deduct a bit if the peghead is cracked or scroll broken/missing/repaired, sometimes the torch can be quite fragile and prone to chips/loss there too

Edit- I see a guarantee label instead of Orville's face. It went back to gibson post 1911 or so for some reason. Might be the reason for the case as well, Frank Ford documented one out west coast way that had a Loar or Fern period shaped case made for it as well. Tuners (With elaborate stamping & gold color) and inlaid bridge are originals, so is tailpiece. Inlay looks in very good condition on neck (would like to see the torch!)
    Hiya Dan, i received these photos too, would love to have this darling and perform the restoration! The inlay on the fretboard is incomplete, it has many possible issues and the seller has indicated it has quite a few.

We'll see how it goes.

The seller told me at offers around $2500. He said it needs a years worth of work. I'd like the restore to but it's way over my head.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein
    "We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same."
    ~Carlos Castaneda

I can't tell if that is just the lighting but photo #5 looks like some sinkage. Maybe not...

I had one like this many years ago and I sold it to Harry West. I do remember that it was quite quiet as an instrument and not esp great in the tone department, certainly more of a collector's piece. I would love to see the headstock and back of this one.

Seller says "good to fair condition". I would think more than moderate restoration.

For sale! Not sure of value but its over 2500. Its in good to fair condition with original case.I have over 20 pictures, will email if interested 7 to start. .Its been in family b 4 I was born in 1944. I need to take more pictures of neck bottom .case & original cloth cover. It need to be refurbished, which takes around a year & money, The sound is still nice music to my ear.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I had one like this many years ago and I sold it to Harry West. I do remember that it was quite quiet as an instrument and not esp great in the tone department, certainly more of a collector's piece. I would love to see the headstock and back of this one.
    I almost bought that one from Harry Jim very interesting mandolin, "compression grain" on the bass side (sort of zig-zagging figure) and a large repaired top crack?

I've been in touch with the seller and have advised that he might want to take a few better pictures.. I think the condition is pretty good from what I've seen (and wait until you see the single-piece back and flamed maple neck!).

The case intrigues me. Loar period possibly, or maybe a custom from another maker. I see some clasps and padding that don't match the standard Giebs..

Edit:

Jim, was yours 6254 ?

Picture from Harry..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6254_face.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	123145  
    Last edited by danb; Aug-27-2014 at 10:47am.
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs

14. The following members say thank you to danb for this post:

sgrexa 

i believe it may be a violin/mandolin case. i see a violin and a bow in there... at least i see it in the pix that the owner sent me.
    Last edited by Glassweb; Aug-27-2014 at 11:29am.

That would be wild

I see what could be bow hair too. It's definitely got a shaped cavity for the 3rd point visible in the photo.

Here's another one we documented not long ago (appears in the Gruhn/Carter book) from the same batch:

http://www.mandolinarchive.com/gibson/serial/5260

Note that this is not the one we're discussing from the classifieds, but it's from the same batch!

Name:	5260_face.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	171.6 KB 
ID:	123142   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5260_back_detail.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	148.1 KB 
ID:	123143   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5260_front_in_case.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	123144  

The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs

Dawg has been known to scoop these up quick! I wonder how many he has?

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by danb View Post
    I almost bought that one from Harry Jim very interesting mandolin, "compression grain" on the bass side (sort of zig-zagging figure) and a large repaired top crack?

Edit:

Jim, was yours 6254 ?

Picture from Harry..
    I think it was that one. I sold it to him prob mid 1980s. I believe that the top was cracked and sold it as-is. I seem to remember the fretboard as having more ornate inlays but that may have been just my fading memory. They still have it pictured here on the not for sale section on their catalog page.

(NFS0021) Vintage Gibson 3pt mandolin

(NFS0021) Gibson 3 Point Mandolin
    Vintage, Made around 1905, Maple sides and back & spruce top. This instrument would be wanted more by A collector then a Musician because of it's early age. There was also Gibson F-2 three point Mandolins made but they were less elaborate.
    (Note, So much inlay on the head stock that GIBSON was not placed there and Fancy Handel tuners also Moon & Stars on a extra thin pick gaurd) A very Beautiful instrument!
    Conversation Piece, Not For Sale.

Name:	1905Gibson3ptFront2.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	126.1 KB 
ID:	123146   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gibson3ptBack.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	123147  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

the back on the one that this thread concerns is absolutely stunning... really special!

Name:	mandolin 1906 model f4.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	165.2 KB 
ID:	123159

Name:	mandolin frets 1.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	188.3 KB 
ID:	123160

Name:	mandolin inlay 1906 f4 Gibson.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	147.6 KB 
ID:	123161

Name:	mandolin pearl inlay.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	123162

Name:	mandolin pic 027.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	135.9 KB 
ID:	123163

Name:	mandolin scribed keys & pearl inlay.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	175.8 KB 
ID:	123164
    ~Carlos Castaneda

Seller sounds like a real sweetheart. NOT!
    Visit www.fox-guitars.com - cool Gibson & Epiphone history and more. Vintage replacement mandolin pickguards

22. The following members say thank you to pfox14 for this post:

It's a beautiful instrument no doubt, a presentation piece. The approach to the sale is just as rare

Despite the cool inlay and rarity, I think the value (to me) is hurt quite a bit by the style of bridge and setup. The very early Gibson mandolins I have played were not as satisfying as the later models with the taller bridges. You could certainly make music with this but its primary feature is appearance. I would be more excited to pick up a truss rod F-4 and start playing.

Factor in the decaying pickguard, which really can't be fixed, and whatever restoration is needed, and it's one that I will be satisfied to see pictures of.

I wouldn't feel comfortable trying to buy it. Something about it seems wrong to me. Why not just put a price on it and answer replies?

25. The following members say thank you to Tom Sanderson for this post:

Does anyone else think that label doesn't look 108 yrs old?
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

27. The following members say thank you to jaycat for this post:

Wow. Not the mandolin--the attitude. Just wow. If I had one in that condition for sale, I'd welcome questions. This one doesn't pass the smell test.
    Steve

"They're approaching. That's very forward of them."

It certainly is a very unusual, and somewhat schizophrenic way of selling??? an instrument. Unusual punctuation, spelling, phrases, and that very interesting attitude. I would caution.."buyer beware".

Quote Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
    Does anyone else think that label doesn't look 108 yrs old?
    Read the thread. You're right: it isn't 108 years old.

Man, that is some choice ad copy. Do they give awards for that kind of stuff?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

31. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post: