Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1906 f4

Well that ad was pulled and a new one put up http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/78967
    The Favs
    2013 Jacobson Nautilus #23 Semper Concinentī
    2007 Weber Custom Yellowstone
    2003 Gibson A9
    2013 Godin A8
    2007 Martin 000-18 Norman Blake #62 of 134
    2000 Heritage Millennium H-155

Default Re: 1906 f4

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Man, that is some choice ad copy. Do they give awards for that kind of stuff?
    Sounds like the seller didn't know what he had and got bombarded with interest/emails and reacted with panic, not wanting to undersell it. In doing so, he created suspicion in some people's view, but I think the mandolin is legit, he just handled it in an unprofessional manner--hoping to create his own auction....he just got in over his head.

A similar thing happened a few years ago on eBay, some flea market guy found an old flathead banjo like Earl's and started the bidding at $100--in a couple days the bidding was at $35,000 and wasn't over yet--then it magically disappeared--somebody got to him with the right price.....

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weaver View Post
    Well that ad was pulled and a new one put up http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/78967
    That's the ad I read. Again I say, that's some choice copy.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

That's the ad I read. Again I say, that's some choice copy.
    Yeah pretty horrifying...
    The Favs
    2013 Jacobson Nautilus #23 Semper Concinentī
    2007 Weber Custom Yellowstone
    2003 Gibson A9
    2013 Godin A8
    2007 Martin 000-18 Norman Blake #62 of 134
    2000 Heritage Millennium H-155

Yup, same ad.
    Steve

"They're approaching. That's very forward of them."

Boy, some copy indeed! Goodie for him and ZZtop, Billy can spend that if he so desires, won't be me. I have no time to establish "repore".
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

7. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    Boy, some copy indeed! Goodie for him and ZZtop, Billy can spend that if he so desires, won't be me. I have no time to establish "repore".
    I read the ad. Rapport established.

Read the thread. You're right: it isn't 108 years old. . . .
    Duly admonished!

So, if it did go back to the factory, why swap out the label? Was that common practice?
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Quote Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
    Duly admonished!

So, if it did go back to the factory, why swap out the label? Was that common practice?
    Yes- they did that quite commonly. Why it went back is hard to say. Re-fretted maybe? The case appears to be 20s era, that's another possibility.
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

Case is not necessarily 20's. Very likely earlier. Look at my old F4 here...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1915 Gibson special F4 004.JPG 
Views:	200 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	123183

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    What's it "worth?" What someone's willing to pay for it.
    Exactly right. That is an expression I have heard all my life, concerning buying and selling, antiques, flea markets, guitar shows, and horse trading, in general. Years ago, the expression annoyed me, thinking it was a smart aleck response. But, it was years later that I realized the wisdom in the statement. Another similar expression is, "Asking and getting are two different things", in response to pricing an instrument (or anything else). On eBay it is easy to search completed items and then separate the items actually SOLD, then compare those to the prices "sellers" are asking for an item. Usually they are two different prices. eBay SOLD items represent real money in the current economy--NOT what somebody thinks something is worth.

13. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

There have been a couple bargains on the cafe here of nice torch & wire f4s. The numbers I suggested are based on sales of similar or lower quality examples that I am aware of in recent years
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

Quote Originally Posted by danb View Post
    There have been a couple bargains on the cafe here of nice torch & wire f4s. The numbers I suggested are based on sales of similar or lower quality examples that I am aware of in recent years
    My impression is that there are not as many interested buyers for this era of mandolin compared to later ones, would you say that's the case?

Quote Originally Posted by FL Dawg View Post
    My impression is that there are not as many interested buyers for this era of mandolin compared to later ones, would you say that's the case?
    It takes only one, but it may have to be a very special one in this instance.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by FL Dawg View Post
    My experience tells me that early fancy F models are very desirable and draw considerably more interest than a typical teens era F2 or F4. Now as to whether they sound or play better, that is up to debate.

Sean

Heres some pics for those that havent seen and are interested. Seller doesnt have the best attitude thats for sure! Look at the finish checking in my 4th pic, looks more like 30s or so finish checking and not from 1906, top was probably oversprayed/refin when it was sent back to the Gibson factory?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mandolin CIRA.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	136.7 KB 
ID:	123194Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandolin Gibson D4 1906# 5243 back.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	123195Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mandolin photos by Phil shaw 043.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	153.3 KB 
ID:	123196Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mandolin photos by Phil shaw 042.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	123197Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mandolin photos by Phil shaw 010.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	186.2 KB 
ID:	123198

Ooh yeah, that's lacquer checking for sure. Too bad. But what a gorgeous back!

When did Gibson stop using those Guaranteed labels?

Does anyone know if this deal has been consummated or is the F4 still being trolled around the mandolin world? Just curious about the instrument and the odd seller. I was very interested in it at first and soon very turned off.

Was that a tortoise shell pick guard? I didn't know it could disintegrate into little curved pieces like that. How would one go about fixing that?
    Steve

"They're approaching. That's very forward of them."

Case is not necessarily 20's. Very likely earlier. Look at my old F4 here.
    Ken, Does your case have a M&W stamp on the bottom? Clearly it's a Bull's Head case by M&W. They first offered rectangular mandolin cases about 1910 or so. These cases had larger radius corners than the G&S Co. rectangular cases which first came out in 1922.

The case for this 1906 F4 appears to have smaller radius corners, similar to the ones G&S Co. produced. I'm not sure it's G&S though. The accessory pockets are held closed with little metal tabs, as used on many horn cases. M&W and G&S seemed to use elastic closures on their accessory pockets. So, bottom line, I'm not certain who made this case. It's possible that it's M&W as they were experimenting with various styles of rectangular cases in the early teens. It would be helpful to see better pictures.

Steve
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/vint...strumentcases/

Quote Originally Posted by Roccus View Post
    Does anyone know if this deal has been consummated or is the F4 still being trolled around the mandolin world? Just curious about the instrument and the odd seller. I was very interested in it at first and soon very turned off.
    According to his ad, on Saturday South America gets to see it--today is Saturday, you may start bidding, South America. And remember, Billy from ZZtop is bidding, too, so be sure to bid high and often. (it is reassuring to know that big rock stars would rather shop on MC than party in limousines and perform music all over the world........)

Steve; I think it was an M&W, but, it has been a while now since I owned it. And, it did have larger radius corners...
    BTW, it was from 1915.