Thread: Nice Weber in L.A. area

Default Nice Weber in L.A. area

I'm a South Bay guy, but I was up in the valley last week and stopped by California Vintage Guitar and Amp on Van Nuys Blvd because I had come across it online. They're not really a mandolin dealer, but they have a really nice Weber Yellowstone. Check it out if you are looking for something of that nature. They also have, ahem, a lump scroll A5. I'd never actually seen one in person, so that was interesting.

http://www.californiavintageguitarandamp.com/

Default Re: Nice Weber in L.A. area

Im in Woodland Hills. Do you happen to know a good Mandolin Luthier who does setup/repair in Los Angeles? I have tried McCabe's, but one of my mandolins has been sitting there for a couple of months with no apparent action on fixing it. I called recently and the guy seemed a little steamed that I called. He told me that he would call when it is ready, with a harumph. That was a month ago. I think I need a different Luthier. Plus I don't think McCabe's luthiers are actually Mandolin guys. Any suggestions? Does the guy at California Vintage Guitar know mandolins? I just want someone who specifically knows mandolins. It is surprising that it is so hard to find one in a city as big as Los Angeles.

The Weber is nice but I want the used Resorocket! I need some dental work, that might save me

Quote Originally Posted by CWRoyds View Post
    Im in Woodland Hills. Do you happen to know a good Mandolin Luthier who does setup/repair in Los Angeles? I have tried McCabe's, but one of my mandolins has been sitting there for a couple of months with no apparent action on fixing it. I called recently and the guy seemed a little steamed that I called. He told me that he would call when it is ready, with a harumph. That was a month ago. I think I need a different Luthier. Plus I don't think McCabe's luthiers are actually Mandolin guys. Any suggestions? Does the guy at California Vintage Guitar know mandolins? I just want someone who specifically knows mandolins. It is surprising that it is so hard to find one in a city as big as Los Angeles.
    https://www.facebook.com/WorldofStrings

The shop is closed but their repair guys are still working in the area. I've used world of strings for years rather than mcCabes - sorry to see they have closed
    Mandolin : Weber Bitterroot F, Gibson 1907 A, Eastman 805 A
    Mandola : Weber Yellowstone A
    Guitar : Taylor 810

Laurence

5. The following members say thank you to Laurence Firth for this post:

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Contact cafe member Eddie Sheehy. He uses a guy in Orange County I think who is good...
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

7. The following members say thank you to DataNick for this post:

Nowell at Living Tree Music has worked on a Gypsy mandocello and a Vega bowlback for me, and I was very happy with his work.
    He is in the San Fernando valley, in Panorama City. Their website: www.livingtreemusic.com
    Patrick Melly

9. The following members say thank you to Patrick Melly for this post:

+1 for Noewell at Living Tree. I'm in Burbank and he's the man to see in the Valley.

11. The following members say thank you to mpeluso for this post:

Great!!!
    Thanks for all the good leads.
    I know that McCabe's is great for guitar work, but I don't think they are really mandolin guys.

I will check out the suggested luthiers.
    I just want to get my main mandolin in top working order.
    Thanks again, it is much appreciated.

13. The following members say thank you to CWRoyds for this post:

Great!!!
    Thanks for all the good leads.
    I know that McCabe's is great for guitar work, but I don't think they are really mandolin guys.
    Many have already suggested other good alternatives in the area, and I just want to add that mandolin guys or not, McCabes shouldn't have kept your instrument for such a long time without any update, and even had the audacity to basically tell you 'don't call us, we'll call you'. I like them as a place to peruse, and I love the concerts they put on, but as a repair shop I always thought they were way over-rated. I'd go and collect your instrument from them immediately if I were you. Best of luck

15. The following members say thank you to Clement Barrera-Ng for this post:

Yup, I agree.
    McCabes is a fabulous store to find awesome instruments, and they are actually very nice to do business with.
    I think they are just having issues with the mandolin for some reason. The repair guy was very nice and helpful until I called about one month into it. The estimate had been one week in the beginning. I think he was embarrassed that he had not gotten to it and that embarrassment made him cranky and he did not want to talk about it. Now we are over two months into the process, I am thinking you might be right about picking the instrument up and taking it elsewhere.
    I have absolutely nothing against McCabes, and they are still my favorite guitar store, but I think I will use different luthiers going forward.
    I had a similar bad experience at Norman's Rare Guitars. They are about four miles from my house, but they were so unfriendly and unhelpful that I don't think I will ever go back for repairs. I must say that Normans is AMAZING for their guitar selection. I have never seen so many rare vintage instruments in one place. Definitely worth a visit, just don't leave your instrument there to be fixed.
    Luthiers should be professional and precise in their work.
    These instruments are very important to us and should be considered sacred objects even if they are a common instrument.

+1 for Nowel

18. The following members say thank you to Eddie Sheehy for this post:

Thanks for the nudge towards Nowel at Livingtree.
    I went over there today to drop off my instruments, and he was exactly what I was looking for.
    He looked over the instruments and was spot on with his diagnosis and remedies for the problems.
    He also was very good at investigating what MY desires are for the instrument, and watched how I play to better know how to set the instruments up for my playing style.
    THAT is what a Luthier should do when you bring them an instrument to work on.

I am so happy to find a luthier near me that I can trust with my instruments.
    By the way, I played one of his handmade guitars, and it was a stunner.
    It played like butter and had an amazingly rich even tone throughout.
    It was a really interesting instrument.
    It is the guitar with the tree sound hole on their website. (http://www.livingtreemusic.com)

Anyhoo, thanks again for the awesome suggestion of his luthier services.
    It is VERY much appreciated.

Reading back my earlier posts I think I gave the wrong impression of my experience at McCabes.
    I must have been in a really bad mood when I posted. LOL.
    My only gripe is with the timeframe of the project. All my exchanges with them have been great. I had several good conversations with them about what to do with it (which bridge for the model, etc.). I may have misinterpreted that one conversation.

The truth is that I have yet to see their luthier work on a mandolin so I should not have assumed anything about their expertise with a mandolin. It was not fair of me and I would hate for someone to think they are anything but an great store. It would have been much cooler of me to give them the benefit of the doubt until I know otherwise. It is an odd old mandolin with weird problems, so I can give them some slack.

Actually, I have always loved McCabes. They are an awesome source for really great acoustic instruments.
    IMHO they are probably the best place for fine acoustic instruments in LA.
    Back in the mid 1990s, after playing nearly every Taylor and Martin in LA looking for the right one, I finally found the perfect Taylor at McCabes. It is still one of the nicest acoustic guitars I have ever played.

I apologize to them for posting while grumpy, and I look forward to hearing the mandolin.
    I am just excited to see the thing.
    I'll just blame it all on espresso shots...

Update: Just wanted to post the resolve to the McCabes thing.
    I had misunderstood a conversation I had with them and did not know that they needed to have a special metal arm extension made by a metal worker so that they could get inside and reglue a back brace. That took some time. So there you go.

Turns out they do a great job.
    They reglued a very tricky back brace to the back.
    They fitted a Cumberland bridge, very nicely snug to the archtop.
    Setup is great and it plays like a dream.

So thumbs up for McCabes.
    I feel bad that I posted snippy grief about them.
    It was unfounded, and they came through with flying colors.