Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Were Those Guitarists Thinking?!

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What Were Those Guitarists Thinking?!

Well, while all y'all were busy repeating stuff we all already know I took a pro-active approach, hoping to enlighten the ignorant over at GP. I added a comment and the link to the video DataNick posted, thusly:

Any chance you could replace the version you have of "Man of Constant Sorrow," which has no mandolin on it, with the version that does? Mike Compton's opening lick is a very good example of the drive a well-played mandolin contributes. Here is what I mean:

It would be nice if they were to do that. They do have the technology. But in a way, I'd like it more if they don't, as long as they don't take the clip down. I like the way anyone scrolling down to it will see the egg they have on their faces.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to journeybear For This Useful Post:

A quote from my electrician from earlier today "What's the plumber know about it?"

Blog Entries

My original attraction to the mandolin, way back in the Pleistocene, came about because the mandolin was an outsider instrument. Where I lived I knew nobody who played one, the only mandolins I had seen were decorative bowlbacks kept on the mantle above the fireplace. I never knowingly heard one. Everyone was playing guitar or a sycophantic follower of a guitar player. Popular music had nothing to do with the mandolin, and the mandolin had nothing to do with popular music.

So I really have to eat crow if I complain about mandolin players being misunderstood. I would not advise a young person to follow my path, too much wasted time. But playing a minority instrument, trying to be exceptional by being an exception, well it has its charms.

So I don't see it as guitar world throwing us a bone, but more as a window into how we are perceived by the culture at large. "Oh you play mandolin? I love Maggie May."
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

Ah c'mon , folks . Cut the rockers some slack . Everyone knows rock is the devil's music and an affliction no one CHOOSES ...it chooses YOU . God bless 'em ....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by roysboy View Post
    Ah c'mon , folks . Cut the rockers some slack .....

No, I don't think its the genre that tweeks us, its that none of the examples feature the mandolin as more than a "cool effect". This is rock and roll mandolin IMO.

The entire staff
    funny....

The mind also boggles at the creative writing genius who came up with this caption for Thile and Meyer:

Quote Originally Posted by Some chimp at Guitar Player Magazine
    Chops and genre-bending go hand-in-hand when Thile teams up with fellow MacArthur Fellow Meyer on bass.

It's true, the few pickers I play with who still retain the last shreds of their dignity won't play any of these.
    Well, clearly you are a member of an elite and dignified club.

10. The following members say thank you to Dan Margolis for this post:

first glance I thought it said, "gender-bending go hand-in-hand........"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    none of the examples feature the mandolin as more than a "cool effect". This is rock and roll mandolin IMO.
    Well, except for Lichtenberg and Marshall, which is nothing but mandolin, but yeah, as usual, someone unfamiliar with the breadth and depth of the mandolin's capabilities was given the task of working up a feature about them, and rather than do some serious research, trotted out the same overly familiar examples aned added a few others. Inasmuch as I am pleased he included Caterina and Mike - arguably the best playing on the list, clocking in at #10 - some of the other lesser-know examples leave much to be desired. I'll never understand why people stuck with this thankless task don't consult with us - people deply involved with and knowledgeable on the subject. All it would take would be for them to register, login, and ask. They'd get plenty of much bettrer suggestions. Why doesn't any one of these ignoramuses do this? Why, oh why?

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post

. . . Furthermore, I'd bet the folks here at Mandolin Cafe could do a better job of picking great guitar tunes than the folks at Guitar Player could pick mandolin tunes. . . .
    Not a fair comparison, since many/most of us here probably started out on guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Hey, wait a minute now! Thank Dawg there's such a thing as "Friend Of The Devil." If it weren't for that, I would probably never get a chance to lead a song at a lot of jams - even if it IS that old war horse. Unless, of course, it's "Ripple."
    Try "Mountains of the Moon" next time.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
    Try "Mountains of the Moon" next time.
    Yup, been there done that. But no one ever asks for that. They see a mandolin and they ask for two things, more than all others combined - "Friend Of The Devil" and "Maggie May." Why? That's all they know! And even if they do ask, "Hey, do you know 'Mandolin Wind,'" I'm pretty sure they mean "Maggie May." They're not going to ask for MOTM, in any event. Why would they? There's no mandolin on it.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    It's true, the few pickers I play with who still retain the last shreds of their dignity won't play any of these.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Margolis View Post
    Well, clearly you are a member of an elite and dignified club.
    I didn't say I was one of them. Indeed, I am not.

Blog Entries

I'm not either - but mostly because we haven't played together. I actually like playing these songs, and will do so at the drop of a hat. Well, maybe with a head shake and an eye roll or two.

What I mean is, even though hearing someone ask for these songs is akin to fingernails on a chalkboard, it's not like it comes up all THAT often. We are still the red-headed stepchildren of the fretted instrument world - to the guitar-loving public, anyway. I'd rather play something than gripe about it being the same old thing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
    Not a fair comparison, since many/most of us here probably started out on guitar.
    True that.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

I just took a look at the website, after two weeks have passed. It's just as it was then, they haven't changed the "O! Brother" clip they have to the one that has mandolin (that was a long shot, at best), indeed, no one has even posted a single comment since that day. Just goes to show how little effect all our knowledge and earnestness and verbalizing has on the world. I'm not trying to stir anything up - really I'm not - because clearly there is no point, it's a waste of time. I just thought some of you may have wanted an update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USqb...ature=youtu.be
    2 'not F5's' that sound just fine..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Blog Entries

You did see someone posted that in the comments, yes? To my ears, they sound pretty rattly. To each his/her own.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Pooch View Post
    When I watched that movie I always thought it sounded like more than 3 guys singing and one guy picking a guitar!
    That's because in the movie scene where they are "singing into a can", it is just the guitar and voices. This is full "soundtrack" recording version, I guess you would call it.
    Jeff Rohrbough
    "Listen louder, play softer"

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

I think the GP list should have been called "10 Most Familiar Mandolin Songs."
    Living’ in the Mitten

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve Ostrander For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    Furthermore, I'd bet the folks here at Mandolin Cafe could do a better job of picking great guitar tunes than the folks at Guitar Player could pick mandolin tunes.
    yep, that!

i think their list is an example of semantics rearing it's ugly head. instead of the title "10 Awesome Mandolin Tunes" a better suited and more apt title might be "10 Awesome Tunes with Mandolin".
    just groove, baby!

I still need your string labels!

25. The following members say thank you to i-vibe for this post:

I'm really not sure I'd like the list of guitar tunes picked by mandolinists any better than that list.

But at the least I think we can all agree that people that play or are big fans of some instrument or type of music, by nature, are going to have different tastes that people that have only a passing familiarity with it.

It's the same way with jazz tunes, casual fans tend to want to hear the most mercilessly overplayed standards, and they want it to sound like what they imagine when they think of jazz. And a lot of players (myself included) have no interest of fulfilling one or both of those desires. I'd link it to money, but everybody knows there is no money in jazz anyway except in rare cases. You can't sell out if you're losing money regardless.