Thread: Differance in the Kentucky model numbers?

Default Differance in the Kentucky model numbers?

Can anyone tell me what the different model numbers mean at Kentucky. Like KM620 or Km670 and so on. Thanks Garry

Default Re: Differance in the Kentucky modle numbers?

In General the larger the number the better the materials. But not absolutely, they have changed model numbers over the years and some with similar model numbers have similar specs and material however, they are built in different shop locations. For current models the Sag website is a good place to go and compare the features, materials and specs. Robert Fear at Folkmusician, a Cafe sponsor is a good person to ask about specific models. He is very helpful. Dennis Vance and at The Mandolin Store is also very heloful.

Blog Entries

The F-style models begin with the 600's and those are very nice mandolins. The lower numbers through the 500's are A-style models. The 700's and 800's bring more upgrades in craftsmanship and materials. The 900's are the master models in the A-style and the 1000's and upward are the master model Kentucky's in the F-style. The 900's and 1000's are made by a different group of builders in a separate location. These are general ideas that I understand from doing research on the Kentucky's I have had and have. There are some marvelous Kentucky Mandolins, beginning with the KM-150. I am big fan of these instruments, but Mr. Fear and others know much more than I.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

5. The following members say thank you to bingoccc for this post:

Paul and Dan are correct.....

Kentucky has been around long enough that it is difficult for the average player to know what is what when it comes to used versions. Models typically receive updates every few years. Obvious visual examples include, the fingerboard extension, radiused vs flat fingerboards, tailpieces, tuners, inlays, bridges. Not so obvious difference will be in the woods and carving. Keep in mind, factories change from time to time as well. So in addition to being made in Japan, Korea or China, they may come from several different factories depending on the model and year made.

This will just be for the last 20 years or so:

KM-620 - all laminated
    KM-620s - Solid top, laminated back and sides.
    KM-630 - Solid top or all solid depending on the year. Pressed not carved. May have an "S" or not depending on the year. This alone will not tell you if it is all solid or has laminated back and sides.

Models higher than the 630 are all solid. Older versions would have an "S", newer versions do not have an "S", but are still "all solid".

KM-675 and higher - Carved

If I were grouping them as to being similar (this only applies to current models).

600/650
    675/700
    805/855
    1000 and higher

If you factor in the older models, we would need PAGES to list all the differences.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

7. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

Hello People, Found a Kentucky (brand) mandolin far sale, serial # 016203. Good condition, a few soft scratches on back (belt buckle), hard shell carrying case. Asking price: $250.00. To the mandolin players out there; does this seem like a reasonable price for this gently used mandolin? Thank you. * Eva

Quote Originally Posted by eravenwood View Post
    Hello People, Found a Kentucky (brand) mandolin far sale, serial # 016203. Good condition, a few soft scratches on back (belt buckle), hard shell carrying case. Asking price: $250.00. To the mandolin players out there; does this seem like a reasonable price for this gently used mandolin? Thank you. * Eva
    Little more info. is needed. A or F style, oval hole or F hole. Model # would be helpful. Just my opinion. joe

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Default Re: Differance in the Kentucky model numbers?

Model number is usually written on an internal paper label.

Quote Originally Posted by eravenwood View Post
    ... Kentucky ... mandolin far sale, serial # 016203...
    For some companies, serial number is golden and can tell a decent history. But others start a new format every time the boss changes or the Yankees get in the playoffs. Besides Martin Guitar, knowing which is which is beyond most of us: you'd need an approximate year to know which format might apply - THEN the real research begins!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

11. The following members say thank you to EdHanrahan for this post: