Thread: Old mandolin-banjo

Question Old mandolin-banjo

Hi,

I've been recently given this mandolin-banjo (banjolin being a different instrument, if I understand correctly), and I don't know anything about it. If anyone of you would be able to guess something about its origin, maker, date… I'd be glad to hear about it!

Thanks in advance!
    Niavlys

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7025.jpg 
Views:	431 
Size:	130.5 KB 
ID:	124289

Name:	IMG_7016.jpg 
Views:	371 
Size:	135.8 KB 
ID:	124290

Name:	IMG_7017.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	135.0 KB 
ID:	124291

Name:	IMG_7020.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	176.8 KB 
ID:	124292

Name:	IMG_7022.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	110.6 KB 
ID:	124295

Default Re: Old mandolin-banjo

Well, it looks French, from the slotted headstock with its upturned end, and the marquetry on the back of the resonator -- and you're in France, so that makes sense. Here are three pages of pics of decorated French banjo and mandolin-banjo resonators; don't see one that matches yours, but there may be some that are similar.

Quick Google search doesn't turn up much on French banjo makers, though you may be able to find out more in France. One clue may be the design of the resonator flange -- the size and shape of the holes pierced through it. This can be a distinctive feature.

Also, if you remove the resonator, there may be some form of labeling inside. Worth a look.

As to date, most of these were from the period 1915-1930, perhaps a few years later. The mandolin-banjo enjoyed a brief period of popularity, but was certainly in eclipse by WWII -- at least in the US, and I'm assuming similarly in Europe.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

It has some similar features as my R. Gerome flatback mandolin made in Mirecourt France. The headstock for one, and the back wood is the same burly maple, with flower inlays. The fretboard also looks the same. Maybe the same shop?

Name:	IMG_0864.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	227.0 KB 
ID:	124335Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0868.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	182.8 KB 
ID:	124336Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0862.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	221.9 KB 
ID:	124337

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Well, it looks French, from the slotted headstock with its upturned end, and the marquetry on the back of the resonator -- and you're in France, so that makes sense. Here are three pages of pics of decorated French banjo and mandolin-banjo resonators; don't see one that matches yours, but there may be some that are similar.

Quick Google search doesn't turn up much on French banjo makers, though you may be able to find out more in France. One clue may be the design of the resonator flange -- the size and shape of the holes pierced through it. This can be a distinctive feature.

Also, if you remove the resonator, there may be some form of labeling inside. Worth a look.

As to date, most of these were from the period 1915-1930, perhaps a few years later. The mandolin-banjo enjoyed a brief period of popularity, but was certainly in eclipse by WWII -- at least in the US, and I'm assuming similarly in Europe.
    Thanks for the info. It does make sense that the instrument might be French. Without removing the resonator, I was able to look inside the body and found no inscriptions or labeling of any kind, but then I discovered this, on the resonator itself, right under the end of the strings (I don't know exactly what it's called):

Name:	IMG_7146-bis.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	124368

It says "JP N° 8", so I don't know what it's referring to (perhaps JP might be a name? We have lots of J.-P. in French), but I guess it tells about the origin, "N°" standing probably for numéro.

Lots of beautiful mandolin-banjos on that site you linked to! Indeed most of them seem to feature almost the same headstock, and same tuners. And I found one of them to have a very very similar (maybe identical) resonator : http://www.banjoworld.de/High530b.htm (second line, first image on the left)
    The dots on the fingerboard are placed the same way, the zero-fret is there too…

RayMan7: Do you have a zero-fret too? Beautiful mandolin by the way, does it play well?