Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Noam and other winners at IBMA

Default Re: Noam and other winners at IBMA

Quote Originally Posted by bigskygirl View Post
    From the IBMA website....

These awards are to honor people who are known as, and have achieved fame as, bluegrass music performers.......

So the issue is the criteria, the award is for "bluegrass" and if you're not playing in the genre you will get overlooked. Players I can think of aren't considered "bluegrass" so they aren't eligible to win...a shame really but I guess they can compete for other awards.

In the 24 year history of the IBMA award there have only been 5 players that have won. Why have'nt Doyle Lawson, Tim O'Brien, Alan Bibey, Wayne Benson, Don Rigsby or Serria Hull won the award? These players definitely meet that criteria.
    “Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.”

My Mandos:
    1981 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #6
    2001 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #57
    2006 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #106
    2017 Boeh F5 #27
    2020 Boeh 2-point #31
    2012 Grey Eagle 2-point #57V

The Seldom Scene is one of the most influential bands of all time. Very deserving award. Have they ever won an IBMA award.....or any of their individual members? I don't recall but Duffey was the best tenor in bluegrass (he and John Cowan), Auldridge's dobro (IMHO), Tom Gray's bass, Ben melodic banjo. These guys were so good that most of us can recognize the picker by hearing just one or 2 bars of their picking/singing. No one kicks off "Working on a Building" like Ben. Gray's walking bass on nearly anything......After Midnight, Rider and Body & Soul are my favorites. Auldridge uses the bar better than any. Duffey's pipes are recgnized by ALL. We certainly can't forget the material....wow! And the arrangements, vocally and instrumentally. They were geniuses with the sound system and the special effects. If the IBMA ever develops a "Best Front Man" award they should name it "The Duffey." Like him or not, he made you want to watch, and not miss his banter between songs. He was the grass version of Johnny Carson.

Sorry to stray, but The Scene has always been one of my favorites, and I never thought they got proper recognition, but maybe they were seen too seldom! They deserve some awards!

By the way, Lou Reid has been one of the top instrumentalists and tenors for 25+ years.

Bob
    re simmers

3. The following members say thank you to re simmers for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by BradKlein View Post
    But having watched the whole awards feed, I was quite impressed by many of the choices, performances and tributes. Probably the best award ceremony of any kind that I've ever watched - and that's thanks to Producer, Amy Reitnouer of the Bluegrass Situation, I suspect.
    Here I go and say all these nice things about the 2014 award ceremony, and the IBMA Board goes and fires their executive director! Dang.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

5. The following members say thank you to BradKlein for this post:

garded

Every year this happens when AS wins. I loved it when he replied to one of the naysayers right here on the Cafe So you should know your comments do not go unnoticed.

And as in the past I'm amazed the awards are called a joke because these are not just randomly picked by some faceless judges, they are voted on by the members. So it would seem who's sticking in folks minds and in my mind you can't get away that AS seems to be everywhere when like somebody wants to do a special studio album etc. And if you hang with any of the young and upcoming mandolin players you know who's the most influential player in their minds, AS. So it's a barometer of the level of influence and so in my mind I think he pretty much deserves the accolades.

That said I think it's time he was inducted to some higher level like some hall of fame so there was room for others. I thought there used to be a set number of times you won and then you were inducted?

Yes, AS has won the award a number of times. I think he's tops.

And, I was saddened to learn of Nancy's departure. She was a stabilizing force on the IBMA Leadership team and was always pleasant and helpful during her on-site presence for the WOB week here in Raleigh. Her parents were introduced to the volunteer staff this last go-around.

Thanks. It was IlfordHP5 400 speed.
    Mark

Gibson A circa 1917
    Collings Mf 5 "Blackface"

It was interesting seeing some great mandolin players right before IBMA. Ricky Skaggs and AS are two of note. They both are incredible. I will say that my personal favorite for the "mandolin experience" was Sierra Hull. She has a style, tone and skill that are hard to beat.
    Mark

Gibson A circa 1917
    Collings Mf 5 "Blackface"

Congratulations to Noam and the great players on this recording for his Grammy nomination for Best Bluegrass Album. I've had the pleasure of producing videos for Noam, and several featuring Bryan Sutton, so that leaves me conflicted on who to root for! But I think that Noam's is such an historical recording, I have to give the edge to NP Plays KB Plays WSM!!!!

HERE are all the grammy nominations via the LA Times.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos