Thread: Old Yale brand lute style mandolin

Default Old Yale brand lute style mandolin

Hello! I have an old lute style mandolin made by Yale that I'm hoping some of you could tell me more about. It seems to be hand crafted with mahogany and rosewood. It also has a funky little inlay on the face. I have seen one online, but other than that I can find no other information on this beautiful little instrument. Please help!

Default Re: Old Yale brand lute style mandolin

According to mugwumps.com, Yale was a brand sold by the Carl Fischer Company. I believe the company still has a store in New York City. If you can, post some photos of your mandolin.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

People can't help without photos. Your description could be any one of hundreds. Yale likely doesn't mean much either. It may have been named by the store which sold it. Photos are the best way to get authoritative answers, although the previous post gives you a starting point.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2607.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	124629

Name:	IMG_5777.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	135.8 KB 
ID:	124630

The tag on the inside says it was made by George Clifton Dobson, who made banjos in the late 19th and early 20th century.

The musical instrument business was always one where one company bought from another and relabeled. It's the way the industry ran and to a point still does. If you had a banjo labeled Dobson that was the correct age I would assume it was built by them, a mandolin I'm really not so sure of. Can you post a picture of the headstock as well, front and back? That thing looks like a Lyon & Healy product to me.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Name:	IMG_8955.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	127.9 KB 
ID:	124646

Name:	IMG_3214.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	124647Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3214.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	124647