Thread: A Boy and His Loar

Default A Boy and His Loar

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ronnie Reno 1960 with Loar.jpg 
Views:	744 
Size:	324.5 KB 
ID:	124711Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ronnie Reno 30's A-1.jpg 
Views:	601 
Size:	126.7 KB 
ID:	124710Shortly after banjoist Don Reno from South Carolina left Bill Monroe's Bluegrass Boys he met up with Red Smiley from Asheville, North Carolina. After several years of recordings as Reno and Smiley they hit the road in 1955 and became one of the best of Bluegrass Music's premiere bands. A few years later Don's first born son Ronnie Wesley Reno would be placed on a wooden crate box to reach the mic to sing some silly country songs to entertain the fans of Reno & Smiley. By the time Ronnie was 9 he was learning to play the mandolin and started out on a pretty nice mid 20's, Loar era Gibson A-4 snake head round hole mandolin. Then a year or so later he moves "up" to a used pre-war mid 30's A-1 F hole mandolin. Don noticed his son was getting serious at being a mandolin picker and decided that he needed something a little more professional by the time he turned 13. Don sought out a Gibson F5 "just like Bill's" knowing all to well that would get the job done and in 1960 wrote a check for $350.00 for Gibson F-5 serial no. 73670 signed by Lloyd Loar on June 13, 1923 however this one the label had fallen out but it lines up with the other June 13 numbers. This signed Loar also featured gold plated parts. Ronnie recalls his Dad shaking when writing this check. The only reason that would explain why Don was shaking is it was the most he had paid for a "used" instrument in his life. One must consider a new Gibson F-5 with a case would have cost you $600 in 1960 so I would assume this near half price for a slightly used one was still a deal at the time, but that was a lot of money for Don who was a professional touring artist feeding a family of 6. Ronnie went on touring with his Dad after Reno & Smiley split up in 1964 and then left to join up with 2 other first generation bluegrass giants, the Osborne Brothers, first as electric bass player then guitarist. Ronnie got an offer to go with Merle Haggard as a background singer and then he enjoyed a short lived solo career. Ronnie got back with his Dad before he died in 1984 and then his 2 younger brothers continued to tour a few more years. Today Ronnie has his own well-known bluegrass band and his own TV show on RFD/Blue Highways and he still has that Loar F5 his Dad bought him back in 1960. I ran across this unique photo of Ronnie and his Loar when he first got it in 1960 at age 13, along with photos of his other 2 Gibson mandolins. Ronnie Reno is a great asset in Bluegrass music today doing a heck of a job promoting it and I thought it would be of interest to share his beginnings in bluegrass music. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ronnie Reno 20's A-4.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	309.9 KB 
ID:	124709
    Last edited by f5loar; Oct-08-2014 at 5:47pm.

2. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to f5loar For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: A Boy and His Loar

You certain it ain't a 13-June-1923, hoss?

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ronnie Reno 1960 with Loar.jpg 
Views:	744 
Size:	324.5 KB 
ID:	124711Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ronnie Reno 30's A-1.jpg 
Views:	601 
Size:	126.7 KB 
ID:	124710Shortly after banjoist Don Reno from South Carolina left Bill Monroe's Bluegrass Boys he met up with Red Smiley from Asheville, North Carolina. After several years of recordings as Reno and Smiley they hit the road in 1955 and became one of the best of Bluegrass Music's premiere bands. A few years later Don's first born son Ronnie Wesley Reno would be placed on a wooden crate box to reach the mic to sing some silly country songs to entertain the fans of Reno & Smiley. By the time Ronnie was 9 he was learning to play the mandolin and started out on a pretty nice mid 20's, Loar era Gibson A-4 snake head round hole mandolin. Then a year or so later he moves "up" to a used pre-war mid 30's A-1 F hole mandolin. Don noticed his son was getting serious at being a mandolin picker and decided that he needed something a little more professional by the time he turned 13. Don sought out a Gibson F5 "just like Bill's" knowing all to well that would get the job done and in 1960 wrote a check for $350.00 for Gibson F-5 serial no. 73670 signed by Lloyd Loar on May 29, 1923. This signed Loar also featured gold plated parts. Ronnie recalls his Dad shaking when writing this check. The only reason that would explain why Don was shaking is it was the most he had paid for a "used" instrument in his life. One must consider a new Gibson F-5 with a case would have cost you $600 in 1960 so I would assume this near half price for a slightly used one was still a deal at the time, but that was a lot of money for Don who was a professional touring artist feeding a family of 6. Ronnie went on touring with his Dad after Reno & Smiley split up in 1964 and then left to join up with 2 other first generation bluegrass giants, the Osborne Brothers, first as electric bass player then guitarist. Ronnie got an offer to go with Merle Haggard as a background singer and then he enjoyed a short lived solo career. Ronnie got back with his Dad before he died in 1984 and then his 2 younger brothers continued to tour a few more years. Today Ronnie has his own well-known bluegrass band and his own TV show on RFD/Blue Highways and he still has that Loar F5 his Dad bought him back in 1960. I ran across this unique photo of Ronnie and his Loar when he first got it in 1960 at age 13, along with photos of his other 2 Gibson mandolins. Ronnie Reno is a great asset in Bluegrass music today doing a heck of a job promoting it and I thought it would be of interest to share his beginnings in bluegrass music. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ronnie Reno 20's A-4.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	309.9 KB 
ID:	124709
    Wow, thanks for posting! I met a gentleman from Albemarle a few weeks ago who mentioned he played guitar. At some point I asked him what he played, expecting a "typical" answer. He muttered, " a '37 Martin double naught." To which I replied, " excuse me, what?" At which point he said, "I guess you do play a little," with a grin. He has a picture of his 12 year old dad posing with his grandparents Christmas morning 1937, when they gave it to him. Needless to say, the OO is not for sale, and will remain in the family for at least one more generation...I love stuff like that, and am beginning in earnest to look for the instrument or two that I'll pass on to my kids...curious to see where that leads me!
    Chuck

Great pics and story. I now realize that my parents deprived me of a Gibson Loar Mandolin. I guess dad thought that a Brooks Robinson baseball glove would make me happier. It did back then, but......I wonder if I could trade.

Bob
    re simmers

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    You certain it ain't a 13-June-1923, hoss?
    Your're right. Thanks for catching that. Too much hangover from IBMA! Ronnie's would have been the first of the June 13, 1923 batch but his label was missing and we assume it just fell out. There are other speculations as to why it did not have a signed label but I recall when seeing it you can see the glue marks.

Blog Entries

Love that story each and every time I heard it. Great/Awesome! Someone with Knowledge like Tom or other Vets should write a book on the stories of the grass so the youngsters can learn about when music was a tough living. Driving for a little pay.Feuds. Instrument stories.etc...... It would be a must have for any fan

Bluegrasser, that would be a great project! I'm in, happy to try my hand sorting the stories from the more rapidly diminishing sources that have first hand knowledge of the early days!
    The book could be a while in coming but, it sounds like a great project!
    "Keep those cards and letters coming!" Kind of thing
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

9. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    Ronnie recalls his Dad shaking when writing this check. The only reason that would explain why Don was shaking is it was the most he had paid for a "used" instrument in his life. One must consider a new Gibson F-5 with a case would have cost you $600 in 1960 so I would assume this near half price for a slightly used one was still a deal at the time, but that was a lot of money for Don who was a professional touring artist feeding a family of 6.
    According to an online inflation calculator... "$350.00 in 1960 had the same buying power as $2,774.39 in 2014." Of course we have to calculate the acquisition factor for bluegrass players back then vs. the much larger population of those folks right now. I put $180K in as of 2014 and got the following: "$180,000.00 in 2014 had the same buying power as $22,707.67 in 1960." I am not sure what it all means but as Tom notes, it was a bargain back then... worth about 65 times as much by today's calculations. BTW I used this calculator.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

11. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Good story. Equally important (to me), Ronnie is a fine fellow and let me play his Loar.

Blog Entries

It would be a great must have book for any fan "I'd thing anyway"!