Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stan Jay, Pioneer of Vintage Instrument Fame Fighting For His Lif

Fetches news & information NewsFetcher's Avatar

Default Stan Jay, Pioneer of Vintage Instrument Fame Fighting For His Lif

The Mandolin Cafe has posted the following news release:
    Stan Jay, Pioneer of Vintage Instrument Fame Fighting For His Life

Brooklyn based journalist Bradley Klein visits with the family of Stan Jay of Mandolin Brothers to help them share the sad news of Stan's hospitalization with lymphoma.

---------------------------

NOTE: You may use your board membership to comment on news articles published by the Mandolin Cafe. Your comments will appear here and also will be appended to the end of the news article for public viewing. Standard board membership posting guidelines apply.
    Posts belonging to this account are created by a software task, not a human. Don't understand what that means? This information will explain how this post got here.

2. The following members say thank you to NewsFetcher for this post:

Default Re: Stan Jay, Pioneer of Vintage Instrument Fame Fighting For His

Oh, man, what sad news! I was there a few months ago and was greeted cheerfully by Stan, etc. I bought by first Gibson from him and one the very first Flatiron A5s as well as a handful of other things.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

garded

I have no words, this is heartbreaking. I finally was able to make the pilgrimage to Mandolin Bros. in May while in NY for my sons wedding. I even got to meet Stan and Eric and talked to them both for quite a while.

My heart goes out to Stan and the whole family.

Blog Entries

This is sad on so many levels. All my hopes and prayers go to Stan's family, blood, and those at the store.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Only one visit... but MANY hours spent combing through the wonderful descriptions of instruments that filled this store, first via catalogues and then online.

My thoughts are with all of the Jays and the Mandolin Brothers family.

I've made the pilgrimage to Mandolin Brothers a dozen times in the last 25 years and never failed to buy an instrument. Stan always treated me like an old friend from the first time I met him. A great man and a great institution. I pray that both will survive and prosper.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Unrepentant Dilettante Lee Callicutt's Avatar

Stan, I had my first date with the lymphoma thing when I was 21. I'm 61 now. I'm not going to tell you that you can make it, because none of us can truly make it - I expect you know that, and I expect I'll have another final stare-down myself before it's over, and that's the way it is, but I wish you all the best for you and especially for your loved ones. Fight the good fight, brother.

This is very sad news to hear. From the outer fringes of the Big Apple, Stan Jay (and early on, his partner Hap Kuffner) created his own unique vision of the vintage fretted instruments store. Using humor with a strong dose of chutzpah, Mandolin Brothers established itself in the 1970's as the best known guitar store in the country.

Back in those days many vintage dealers did not know each other very well, and I would venture to say there was a certain amount of mistrust between them. As time went on and we got to know each other better, it became quite evident that we had a lot more in common than we would have thought. So we have had several decades now of friendly competition with kindred spirits.

I wish Stan, Bea, Eric, Alison, and the Mando Bros staff only the best in this very difficult time.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to stanwerbin For This Useful Post:

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Mike E., above, beat me to the words I was thinking: "Stan always treated me like an old friend..." SO true! I sure hope that better news awaits us.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Blog Entries

Really hope and pry Stan gets better! Very Nice guy. Met him at a fest at the old Gey fox in maybe 2000-2001.Just a super guy and tried real hard to work with me on a mando I wanted/Truly one of the last of a caring breed!!!!!!!!!!!

Incredibly sad news, my heartfelt sympathy goes out to Stan and his family. I only managed to make the pilgrimage twice, and on my second visit was taken for pizza at lunchtime. Stan lived guitars & mandolins, I honestly thought he would live forever.
    Sitting on that couch picking an L5 one serial No down from Mother Maybelle's is a memory that will live with me for ever. My Dad died from the same blood disorder, so I can appreciate what the family are going through.
    Much love from your friends in Scotland.

I'm so sad to hear this news. Some years ago, I purchased a Gibson TB3 Tenor Banjo from Stan. I was in Ireland, so I couldn't get my hands on it to try it out.
    I had been assured by a friend of mine that if Stan said it was good, then that's PRECISELY what it would be. This was before WWW (11/11/1992)so I telephoned and had a brief, but informative conversation with Stan, after which we did the deal. My Banjo arrived after a week or so, and has served me well since that day, exactly what Mr. Jay had promised! A good man, who has served this community so well. I'm going to play a tune for him now.

Very sad news! I visited in September, and noticed a reduction in inventory, and Stan's absence. All hopes and prayers for his recovery and return to bussiness!

This is sad. So many stores are about the inventory; Mandolin Brothers is about the exprience of music. They don't sell, they help you buy.

So sad to hear this news and will be saying prayers for Stan and his family.

18. The following members say thank you to Django Fret for this post:

Hope you get better soon.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

Sending healing energy to you and your family, Stan. You have brought great joy to this world thru your instrument description poetry:
    "... a builder from Caballo, New Mexico where the Animas run wild on Rio de las Animas (as you know, this street name derives from Carl Jung's school of analytical psychology, and he said that the Anima and Animas are the two primary anthropomorphic archetypes of the unconscious mind, as opposed to both the theriomorphic and inferior-function of the shadow archetypes.). Unlike the late Dr. Jung, this mandolin has an Engelmann spruce top, curly maple sides and neck, an absolutely incredible looking burled maple one-piece back which is nothing short of spectacular. Yes, you get pools and eddies, you get a festival of kaleidoscopic topography as last seen in the final 12 minutes of Kubrick’s 2001: A Space Odyssey. In addition you get x-bracing...."

Mandolin Brothers has been on my bucket list for decades. I always felt there was no rush to get over there, that some day, when things were quiet, my husband and I would take the ferry over and spend a couple hours playing around. After all, it's just an hour or so away, why hurry? This is devastating news.

Sending good thoughts and prayers to Stan and his family.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

What terrible news. Keep fighting, Stan.

A year ago, I did just as the author suggested--I took the Staten Island Ferry and the bus to Mandolin Brothers and was treated like an old friend. Stan was more than warm and welcoming. Eric sat with me for as long as I wanted in the "grown-ups' room" while I tried on every instrument that I saw from that couch.

The whole family is in my thoughts and prayers.

This is heartbreaking, I haven't been able to make it down there for the past few years so I had no idea. I wish Stan's family the best.
    Philip Halcomb

I have been a customer of Stan Jay since the mid 70s. He has provided me with lefty Martins, Flatirons, Gibsons and Dobros. Got my Monty GA from him nearly 30 years ago. I have done more business with him than any other dealer in the US. This is a heartbreaking situation. Stan IS Mandolin Bros and I offer prayers for Stan and his family.

I am so sorry to learn of this. I've known Stan for more than 40 years, since the early days when he and Hap Kuffner were operating out of the second floor above a store on Bay Street. I hope and pray for his complete recovery. Bill Brisotti, Wyandanch, Long Island, NY

I've never met the man, but feel I know him pretty well through his sense of humor shown in his catalog descriptions and his love of the field. My thoughts and prayers to Stan and his family.

Wow, thoughts and prayers to Stan and family. This is indeed sad news.

Sean

Blog Entries

Great place! Great guy... Get well!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MANDOBROS2.JPG 
Views:	13520 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	124767