Thread: Quick advice for mandolin with using a R&R backline

Default Quick advice for mandolin with using a R&R backline

Ok I am doing a bass gig in two weeks but for some reason for two songs I picked up the mandolin and it just sounded so good with the material. It will be a duet with a guitar player/singer with me on electric bass and acoustic bass. For the two songs I will be plaing mandolin into a mic. The place does mostly rock with some acustic shows.

What can I do to best make this work? My mandolin does not have a pickup. The amps are a mix of Fender and Peavey. The sound system is half decent but the sound guy has a tendency to be stoned. This will be my public mandolin debut. Oy Vey.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Quick advice for mandolin with using a R&R backline

Quote Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
    The sound system is half decent but the sound guy has a tendency to be stoned. This will be my public mandolin debut. Oy Vey.

Oh, dear....

I would try to get him to a rehearsal at a time when he is not chemically compromised for starters.

Keep it simple. Get a couple of channels on the desk reserved and adjusted in advance. Run an SM57 or Beta 57 for your mandolin into one channel. DI the guitar into the next channel. Get those balanced nicely with the vocals and apart from a master volume tweak, hopefully the stoned person will leave well alone thereafter.

At rehearsal, check your monitor placement (if an SM57 right behind the mic, if a Beta57, off angled to one side slightly) and try to keep stage levels as low as possible. High stage levels contribute to feedback and also to a "muddy" sound and phase issues. You want a nice, clean sound. The simpler it all is, the better. Less stress for you and less for anyone not entirely on the ball to screw up...
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

3. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

Nevin 

Rehersal? That will be in my apartment. Get him at a time when he is not impaired? The sound guy comes with the venue (I have played there before). I think we can arange a sound check. Having chanals set aside for us is a great idea. The people opening the show only use two channels on a 16 channel board. That should help. Thanks.

Blog Entries

Reserving the channels is definitely the best bet by the sound of it. At least try to get a sound check well in advance.

Good luck. Hope it goes well for you!
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

6. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

Nevin 

I'd try to use a pre-amp and then go directly to the PA from there, skipping any typical fender/peavey amps designed for electronic instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by bayAreaDude View Post
    I'd try to use a pre-amp and then go directly to the PA from there, skipping any typical fender/peavey amps designed for electronic instruments.
    Unless they are designed for acoustic instruments.

Typical electric guitar amps are not flat-response acoustic friendly as far as the EQ goes.

Thanks, since I don't have a pickup it will be miked directly to the PA system.