Thread: Rally DMB-2 Banjolin on eBay!

Exclamation Rally DMB-2 Banjolin on eBay!

So there's (I think) a fairly good deal on a Rally DMB-2 Banjolin on eBay, for less than $200, but I don't have much time before I lose the deal. Here's the info I found on this banjolin, but I don't know what all of it means. Please please enlighten me. Here it is:

Neck : Walnut
    Resonator : Walnut Plywood
    Fingerboard : Rosewood
    Rim : Walnut Plywood
    Bracket : 12Pcs
    Hardware : Chrome
    Machine Head : Coated
    (http://www.straus.co.kr/dmb2.htm)

My other question for all of you geniuses is that I've played the violin for many years, so I know the fingering and chords and such of a mandolin fairly well, and I've played mandolin a little before, and guitar as well, so I also understand the basics of this instrument family and how to strum, etc. But, how big of a transition is it to a beginner level banjolin?

And, how good is this instrument?

Default Re: Rally DMB-2 Banjolin on eBay!

It appears to be an introductory level instrument. I never heard of the brand. It apparently has no truss rod in the neck and likely uses a wooden dowel stick in the pot. That is not necessarily a bad feature but it makes adjusting the neck/pot relationship more difficult if it need adjusting in the future. There is no tone ring mentioned between the rim and the banjo head meaning that it may be quieter than some. (but these can be pretty loud anyway).

These are generally played with a flat pick but if you are used to stringed instruments you should have no problems. Although I might add that the string tension is far greater than the guitar and it may take a while to get used to that.

I did not see a price given in their ad.

These are not popular items though tremendously popular in the 1920s and 1930s. So normally there are lots of these available on eBay sometimes in good condition. I think before you buy you might be better off looking carefully at Ebay and see what is offered and what they go for in decent playing condition. I have bought these on eBay for as little as $90 in good playing condition. But before you buy, learn all you can about banjos and tone rings and truss rods in the neck. A bent neck is fatal to the instrument.
    Last edited by bart mcneil; Oct-16-2014 at 11:03am.

Default Re: Rally DMB-2 Banjolin on eBay!

Thanks! That's really helpful! And true, I don't quite know enough to buy one quite yet. I've been searching eBay and Amazon with little luck, but I'll keep browsing those sites. The price was/is $160 plus $70 shipping, so not a great price. Also, while reading forum posts here, I saw many people say that people who buy banjolins need to go to a luthier to get it reworked or something....is that the case with this instrument? And wow, your info is great! More string tension just means a slight difference in strumming, correct? And quieter sounds look a good thing from what I've heard of banjolins.