Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calton Case Or Pegasus  case

I am looking for a calton or a pegasus for a 23 F2 and have seen so many at different sellers. Which cases fit the F2 best. I just wanted opinions on the best place to get one for price and service and experiences . I know its also who actually has them. I know many have bought them just want opinions. Little dog cover or not ? also looking for a used one if anyone has one to sell. thanks , mike

Tennessee (Still Missing North Carolina Though!)

The lowest price I have found is Janet Davis on Calton's. I don't think there is a dealer for Pegasus cases.
    If F-model mandolins have F-holes then why don't A-model mandolins have A-holes???

Greg Boyds...link to there from here!
    Look up (to see whats comin down)

I think Pegasus cases are most excellent, and looks much cooler than the Caltons, but with the exchange rate beging just about $2=£1, a Calton will work out substantially cheaper (as in $150-$200 cheaper )

Give Michael MacLeod a shout at mike@acousticguitar.net I've bought three new Caltons from him and he had the lowest prices I've found. He lives in Canada near the Calton shop and knows the owner. Not a 'store' so I guess he has lower overhead and you really get the benefit of the mark up in CAN dollars. I've been happy.
    Rick in Memphis

Pegasus is the way to go.( i have both) but to get a pegasus is not easy, they rarly come up on the classifieds. the exchage rate is horrible.
    you can order them from scotland i don't believe there is a distributor here in the USA. But it will cost you double the Calton.
    And to get the color and pattern you want will take some time.
    if you want a good case now and you don't want to pay too much go Calton. But if you want a better case custom ordered, it will take time and money.

I know Tony Williamson at Mandolin Central usually has Caltons in stock, so if you wanted to make the 3 1/2 hour drive (and called first) you could get one without having to worry about shipping (more money saved). While there you could also check out the Master Model, the Apitius, and the other goodies Tony has in stock.
    Greg Henkle

2002 Prucha F5
    1962 Martin D18
    1965 Fender Telecaster

Another vote for Michael MacLeod. I had pleasant dealings with him and the price was the lowest that I could find.

mike macleod is great! and his prices are the best around. he has quite a few slots reserved with calton for the year.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Thumbs up

Ditto what Greg H said. Lp
    J.Lane Pryce

If you get a Calton, watch that the headstock scroll is not pushed up against the side of the case, or it can easily break off if dropped.

the Pegasus is a MUCH better case, although twice the cost.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

you can get a mandola shell with a mandolin interior from calton. this alleviates the headstock issue. a few bucks more, but i think a great solution. and it is not much bigger or heavier than the bullet case.

i liked the idea so much i ordered one last week from mike macleod.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

..just do your mando good and get a Pretso..just my opinion...they are very hard to come by...Im not saying that the Peg and Calton arent good cases...Ive owned 3 Caltons...never have owned a Peg..Ive seen 2 Pegs....thye are great cases....and after all is said and done I still prefer a Presto...but if you ever do happen upon on you will be hooked much as I am...fiberglass construction...rectangle in shape and plenty of storage. It took me almost 3 yrs to finally find one that was available. Now if you want a truly handmade vintage style case please look up Rob Anderson....you can read some talk about he and his cases on other threads.

One of the attractive features in a Peg is their size. Folks buy them for lots of reasons: great protection, no snapping-headstock issues, and ergonomically, they are great to carry by hand, or slung around your back.
    The rectangle case size is the reason lots of folks want a Pegasus as they don't want to deal with the bulk and squared shape.

And don't forget the extremely heavy-duty fiberglass case from Price - Nelson.

try lugging one of those cedar creek dreadnaught guitar cases and the price-nelson will seem like nothing.

I email about the Price case and never recieved a reply...anyone knoe if the current web address is correct?
    Look up (to see whats comin down)

Mandolooter: If you google "Price Mandolin", the current website is available for you. I've had three different mandos in my Price case(latest being Brentrup 23L)and they each fit beautifully--snug and secure. I've owned all of the cases mentioned in this thread and none comes close to the Price. However, you really have to eat your Wheaties to haul the thing.

mr. price takes a while to answer. i believe i waited several weeks.

...just call him..I believe his # is on his web site....when I bought a tailpiece from him I done all of my communication via the land line.......

I love the Pegasus; I have 3: a red one, a grey one and a tangerine special. The best. Rich M.
    Richard Michaud

Tennessee (Still Missing North Carolina Though!)

I still love the Caltons and I do believe they provide more protection than a Pegasus, plus they are a good bit cheaper(I also don't like the look of a shaped F case). I am still looking forward to the new Gibson Calton.
    If F-model mandolins have F-holes then why don't A-model mandolins have A-holes???

Yep, with the exchange rate, the Pegs are more expensive.
    Can you share why you feel the Caltons offer more protection though?
    At least we know there is no issue with peghead damage with dropped or bumped Pegasus cases.

When i was shopping for a heavy-duty fiberglass case, I emailed both Sam Giffrd and Gary Price several times. I received prompt informative responses from both. I bought a Price - Nelson case mainly for the greater interior space. However, after close to ten years of hard use, i will say it is an excellent case and probably offers better protection than anything else out there.
    If Coydog ever comes out with a rectangular kevlar-fiberglass case, I'd consider another case as well.... really bulletproof!!!

Having both Calton and Pegasus cases, no doubt in my mind the Peg has better protection for an F model mandolin. Better design, more headstock room, no whiplash possibilities, suspension design like good violin cases. Peg is a clear winner!
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music