Thread: Sarah Jarosz signs on to Michael Daves' new BG album project

Default Sarah Jarosz signs on to Michael Daves' new BG album project

Sarah Jarosz has signed on as mandolin picker on a 'full band' bluegrass follow up to Michael Daves's duo album with Chris Thile a couple years back. His Kickstarter page is >HERE<, and I encourage the Cafe to support this one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	911ed02c39073bf1b4282bf75799ae82_large.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	125244

Sarah will bring a different feel than Thile (above), that's for sure. And having IBMA's Banjo Player of the Year, Noam Pikelny isn't gonna hurt either. AND, Mike Bub holding down the bottom end, with Brit Haas on fiddle!!

I spoke to Sarah after the impromptu number in the video below where she was called up to the stage by Noam and Michael. She played Michael's Harmony-made Shutt mandolin and said it seemed just right for sitting in with a down and dirty player like Daves. I think a lot of bluegrass players who might be thought of as progressive use Michael as a chance to reach all the way back to the roots of the music. He brings that early rebel feel to it, like the young Monroe Brothers and a host of others did.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5d40294b1b6c6e9291c627780bb670b2_large.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	193.7 KB 
ID:	125243  
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BradKlein For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Sarah Jarosz signs on to Michael Daves' new BG album project

Word just in, that what you might call the MD Kickstarter Recording Band is doing a live webcast tomorrow - Saturday 8 November - 4:00-5:00PM from the Rockwood Music Hall. The webcast is via Concert Windows, and the show is free if you happen to be in town and can get to the Rockwood.

From the FB Event: "I'll have some incredible, very special guests including Sarah Jarosz, Tony Trischka, Chris Eldridge, Jen Larson music, and Alex Hargreaves. If you are in NYC, come in person to the Rockwood - it's free! And if you are anywhere else in the world you can watch online here: http://bit.ly/1xZtIUW. "
    BradKlein
    Twangbox® Videos

I understand that there were some technical problems with the audio feed via the webcast, but in person, the show sounded great. And I particularly enjoy the contributions by Sarah J.
    BradKlein
    Twangbox® Videos

This is a very exciting combination. Sarah is an amzing performer, her live shows are not to be missed. I suspect the commercial viability of straight ahead bluegrass is a discouragement to record labels when it comes to artists' selection of material so it must be great for them to be able to play the real thing. I shall be buying at least one copy!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darren Bailey For This Useful Post:

I posted this elsewhere, but what the heck, it's a nice tight version of a classic!
    BradKlein
    Twangbox® Videos

8. The following members say thank you to BradKlein for this post:

I hope that I'm not wearing out my welcome with the updates on Michael Daves' Kickstarter project, but it looks like at least several hundred have been interested enough to check out this thread. This'll be my last update since the Kickstarter ends Thursday.

The NEWS is that Grammy-winning engineer Vance Powell just signed on to mix the project. Vance recorded and mixed the Chris Thile & Michael Daves record and has done nearly all of Jack White's recordings, among many others. Now I'm sure that some here at the Cafe will consider these 'bad' references, and some 'good', but I can say for certain that each of the two albums will be recorded, mixed, and mastered by folks with strong and interesting ideas about what they do, and a reverence and deep knowledge for relevant recordings of the past.

Name:	vance_powell_apollo_artist_480x270.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	108.2 KB 
ID:	126512

Vance was kind enough to share his recording set-up with us here at the Cafe, after Sleep with One Eye Open was released HERE. He modestly added these words to a thread with over 160 posts at the time. "Thanks for all the comments, and I understand that some people were expecting something different/better(?). One man's OMG! is another's WTF!."

PS I don't expect Sarah J to create the extreme opinions that Thile did a few years back, but who knows where she and the others will go with this recording? I expect some surprises, and I expect that I'll enjoy hearing them.
    BradKlein
    Twangbox® Videos

10. The following members say thank you to BradKlein for this post:

I'm looking forward to hearing these CD's........sounds like a cool lineup and project concept.

Quote Originally Posted by SternART View Post
    I'm looking forward to hearing these CD's........sounds like a cool lineup and project concept.
    me too, big SJ fan for a long time, as well as Michael and the 'rest' of the line up.

it amazes me . SJ has such vocal flexibility. SHe can sing blues, jazz, and seems perfect for BG as well. Truly an star from the Lone Star.

Fifteen months later, the album comes out tomorrow on Nonesuch Records. And the NY Times weighs in with a rave review.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/28/ar...om-melody.html
    Last edited by BradKlein; Feb-25-2016 at 4:09pm.
    BradKlein
    Twangbox® Videos

14. The following members say thank you to BradKlein for this post:

I just read an article about the Gibson brothers that mentioned New York State bluegrass, but didn't mention the NYC scene, and I was wondering about this project-- thanks for the update, because I bet this will be a good one!

This new enterprise should be pretty exciting,but,the one flaw in it that i can see, is Noam Pikelny's banjo styling. Unless he reverts to a more 'Scruggs style' (trad.Bluegrass) approach,it's going to sound more than a bit 'Punch Brothers',when IMHO,they should try to sound 'different'. With a new line up,''more of the same'' shouldn't be an option. IMHO (again),Sarah Jarosz is one of the finest talents around. She has a glorious voice & a really nice,easy, relaxed style in her playing. I just hope that she isn't swamped by any 'over enthusiasm' by the other players,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

BradKlein, thanks for all the updates here, and thanks for posting the vids of Sarah and Michael, very much enjoyed those. Hope to be able hear this new project for myself soon.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

18. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Here is the title track.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JH Murray For This Useful Post:

The bluegrass collection is excellent, though I've already deleted the second from my player (just couldn't't stand it). Michael's playing is second to none and though I think his voice works better with Thule's it still cuts through in an authentic way. I could barely hear Sarah in the mix. A solid album that I'm enjoying and playing a lot. Well worth picking up (but Don't expect too much from the electric versions).
    Last edited by Darren Bailey; Mar-07-2016 at 3:00pm. Reason: predictive text is rubbish

22. The following members say thank you to Darren Bailey for this post:

I kicked in on the Kickstarter funding for this album and followed along as Michael sent updates and sneak peeks at early tracks as they were completed. The CD showed up in my mailbox recently and it has been in heavy rotation ever since. Daves' guitar and vocals are fantastic, as is the entire band he assembled. A special nod to Sarah Jarosz' harmony vocals - simply outstanding. The electric versions are completely different - moody, low fi, heavily distorted vocals, sparse drumming that sounds sequenced, and simmering electric guitar. It might not have the same broad appeal as the bluegrass versions, but I found it fascinating and was glad to help fund Michael's muse if that's where he wanted it to go.
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lukmanohnz For This Useful Post:

I'm amazed that Nonesuch Records had the courage to issue this record, along with fantastic deluxe double CD with artwork and fold out poster w credits, et c. I mean, how many people could there be who dig a straight ahead bluegrass album... and ALSO grock a grunge rock lo-fi throwback as well?

Name:	2000px-Venn0001.svg.png 
Views:	209 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	144276
    BradKlein
    Twangbox® Videos

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BradKlein For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BradKlein View Post
    I'm amazed that Nonesuch Records had the courage to issue this record, along with fantastic deluxe double CD with artwork and fold out poster w credits, et c. I mean, how many people could there be who dig a straight ahead bluegrass album... and ALSO grock a grunge rock lo-fi throwback as well?

probably about as many as grok the correct spelling of grok

sorry can't help myself I'm a compulsive spelling nazi.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevin Stueve For This Useful Post:

Here's the whole double album for free, if you can tolerate the YouTube ads. For the life of me, I don't understand this economic model. But at least it makes it easy to weigh in on where you are on the Venn diagram of these albums' fans and detractors.
    http://youtu.be/noBK3bAw5M8?list=PLo...ObnznGyBipF5aP
    BradKlein
    Twangbox® Videos

Quote Originally Posted by BradKlein View Post

It's a good question and I'm not sure how large the audience is who will dig both CDs, but I'm so glad that Nonesuch is giving this music a chance to reach a wider audience. It's fearless music, and kudos to Michael and his collaborators for creating and releasing it.
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

31. The following members say thank you to lukmanohnz for this post:

Love the traditional sound of the bluegrass version, the old guitar that Micheal uses, the traditional vocals/harmonies. Sarah's pure voice and clean, tasty mandolin are stellar as usual. The electric versions I listened to only a little, just long enough to get the contrast. Interesting but not something I'd listen to a lot. Cool idea, gotta respect the nerve it took to put this out there. It re-enforces my love of organic, wood/wire/vocal music.

Very cool album, I really enyoy it. Favorites are "Good year for the roses" and "Stargazer." I wish there was a real drummer on the electric side, the kick/hi hat is pretty boring. Still, I love the concept of electric versions of bluegrass-y songs; Ivan must be rolling over in his grave.

New Video and re: Jeff's comment above about the drums!

Nonesuch has issued a couple of videos from the Michael Daves record release concerts. For the electric set, the drummer is Kid Millions (John Colpitts) from the band, Oneida. He's a super skilled and fearless drummer, and in one show Michael said to the audience that, playing the shows with John had made him 'second guess' the wisdom of recording the drums on the album himself. I think it was meant as a compliment toward Colpitts, more than a serious expression of regret.

BradKlein
    Twangbox® Videos