Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eastman, kentucky, jbovier, the loar and others...differences??

Default eastman, kentucky, jbovier, the loar and others...differences??

Hey all,

Since getting back into mandolins in the last couple weeks I have been reading about and looking at pics from all sorts of brands. I am happy to see so many great choices out there for those of us that cannot spend $1,500 for a mandolin. It seems that models from each of these are very highly thought of. That's what I wanted to ask about.

In each of these brands I can find a mandolin, or several, that I really like and wouldn't mind having at a future time. I like both A and F styles although I have never owned or played an A.
    I am curious to know what makes one of these brands better or more desirous than the others? Just from someone that hasn't been involved in mandos for the last several years and has just recently came back here, it looks like the Eastman mandos are the most respected of the "lower cost" lot. Would that be a correct assumption? Why are they more highly thought of than the JBovier or The Loar mandos? Does Eastman use better materials? Do they have better craftsmen? What is it? Or..am I totally misreading it?

Lets say that I have a limit of $1,000. We look at all these brands that sell these all wood affordable mandolins. If we have an example from each of them that come in under the target price, is there one that would be better than all the others? Would the Eastman 615 be better than the comparable priced JBovier, Kentucky or The Loar?

Are there differences in the price points of mandolins in each of these brands? Both A and F style mandolins?

I forgot to add Breedlove to my list. I like those mandolins too.

Or...are there really no meaningful differences in these various brands of mandolins and it all boils down to how it looks, feels and sounds to YOU at the time you are buying?

I'm really curious about this and would like to know what you all think. Should I, and others, be focusing on one or 2 brands of mando if we want the better made and sounding mandolins, or are all of them equally great or darn close to it?

Thank you for the time.

nalajr

Default Re: eastman, kentucky, jbovier, the loar and others...differences

Each of these three manufacturers build quality mass production mandolins. Each are generally at least partially hand carved and use solid woods, but they're all from production shops that put out a lot of mandolins from Pac-Rim countries. The level of individual detail and consistency within these brands are incredibly good for budget mandolins, but they're not the same as the level that you'd get from an individual craftsman luthier.

So you'll find Eastman mandolins that are better and worse than some loars or some jboviers. But you'll also find lower numbered Eastmans that sound better than higher numbered. Eastman and Loar have been around for a while and have built a reputation-- jbovier is a bit newer on the scene but they're rather highly recommended. There are differences between the mandolins-- Eastmans have a radiused fretboard while the Loars are flat (maybe not all of them, but I know many are).

The best way to know whether a mandolin is better for you is to play both side-by-side. If you can't do that, it's kind of a crapshoot, but any of those makers will provide you with a good quality mandolin that will sound good. Some say that the finish is too thick on some of the models and that kind of stiffles the sound, but I'm not sure if there's a consensus on that.

As for the Breedloves they're a bit different. They're american made (except for the new budget $300-500) models and I'd put them closer to Webers (as they're made in the same shop). The crossovers are Pac-Rim manufactured and have been getting solid reviews, but they're newer.

But really, the best option is to listen to your own ear. There's no objective "best" sound. Every individual mandolin will have its own voice and you need to give it a try to see if it speaks to you. If you can't, you can call up the Mandolin Store or a similar place, and see if they have one that they love. I hear great things about their service and I don't think I've ever heard someone leave disappointed.

Blog Entries

Just a suggestion...

Decide a price point you can live with

Make a list of 2-3 new instruments in that price point that interest you.

Make a list of what that price point will buy used that interest you. Select 1-2

Search each model on mandolin cafe. This place is deep with opinions and suggestions on specific models if you take time to search and your specific search results will be more useful for making informed decision than answers to the above. Consider the little things that effect playability and sound that first time buyers tend to overlook in favor of 'looks'.

Once you have the list narrowed down you might ask again for things to consider when chosing between the couple of models that have got your informed attention.

Try to play as many of those as you can.

Asking for opinions on pacific rim mandolin brands in general and flipping a coin will get you close to the same result imo.

Enjoy the quest!

Thanks for the info.

I was just curious if one of those brands from the Pac Rim is known for consistently better made and sounding than the others. You know, kinda cut down on the "crapshoot" a bit.

Yeah when I'm at the point of buying, I will go through all of the ones in my price range both new and used and whittle it down to a couple each way and then ask some questions and see what pops out as the best choice.

Thanks again.

nalajr

Did I read that right in that the Breedlove and WEBER mandos are made in the same shop? Do the Weber people have anything to do with building the Breedlove mandos or are they totally separate entities?

Nalajr

Get out and play some mandolins, you decide which ones you prefer.

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nalapombu View Post
    Did I read that right in that the Breedlove and WEBER mandos are made in the same shop? Do the Weber people have anything to do with building the Breedlove mandos or are they totally separate entities?

Nalajr
    The same company, 2 Old Hippies, owns both brands, but they are built by their own respective luthier teams to their own respective specs.
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Km 1000 -for 1000$ it may have to be used
    Km 900
    Lm400
    Play them all pick the one you like.

9. The following members say thank you to John Adrihan for this post:

For that budget range, would very much recommend not buying until you do a bit of research on the Kentucky KM-900 and KM-950 and if at all possible try them out to compare to the others mentioned. All are nice mandos, but these two really seem to be on on another level especially in responsiveness, tone and volume, closer to "professional" level in that regard at least, even if not so in the area of build and finish, (but which are not so bad either). Some would compare them favorably to much more expensive luthier built instruments in blind comparisons.

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I like the loar 600 and 700 i just about have anougth money put aside to get one , but the Kentucky 1000 are nice also , but the Kentucky and loar 700 are at or a little over what you want to spend
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Sold my Gibson Varnish Fern, playing a Kentucky KM-900, ZERO regrets.

13. The following members say thank you to fernmando for this post:

I would like to add one thing to the excellent advice above. When I bought my J Bovier A5, Jeff Cowherd had just started production with new builders in China. He said that he was having them make small batches of instruments at a time to maintain consistency. Since his demand has increased because of some very good response here on the Cafe, I don't know if he's still able to do that, but I know they're built in much smaller numbers than Eastman, The Loar, or Kentucky. I know that the 4 that I have played have all been excellent.

15. The following members say thank you to mandobassman for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    Get out and play some mandolins, you decide which ones you prefer.
    This. Unless you are picking something out for someone else, the only opinion that really matters is your own.

My recommendations: get a Kentucky 900/950 or JBov if you're buying online and not able to play any of these models. Nothing but rave reviews on both of them. But if you can get out and play some models, then I'll add that there are some real gems in the lower-level Eastmans (the matte-finished series), though you should probably throw in a few hundred to upgrade some of the hardware. I just don't recommend buy Eastman online, because they've been a little less consistent tone-wise in my experience, ranging from so-so to fantastic. And if you've played and like Breedloves, keep them on the list cause they make great and consistent instruments.
    I've lost my sheep

I tried out a whole line of Eastman mandolins not long ago and invariably liked the lower models best...go figure.

I think the Kentucky KM270/272 is pretty darn hard to beat if you are looking for an oval hole.
    The KM900 is pretty sweet for the money.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

Thank you all for your help and advice.

WOW!! Those Kentucky upper end mandos must really be something. I've never seen any of them in person other than the one my teacher played all those years ago.

As someone who is littler more than an onlooker right now, I would've bet that most of the responses would've been to go get an Eastman. It just seems that they get more ink than the others do. I guess that is changing. I think it's a good thing to have multiple companies that are making really great mandolins that are affordable by many players.

I have also been emailing the guy that's behind the JBovier mandolins. His mandos look really great too, but I know that's only a part of it. His Black topped F5 Special is really nice. He told me that he does bring in all his mandolins in small batches and he goes through each of them to make sure they are up to his specs and he sets them up according to what style the player says he is going to use it for. It sounded like he was a VERY "hands-on" kinda guy and passionate about his mandolins. He's a one man show too.

I'd like to see some pics of those that have Kentucky mandos like the ones you all recommended and JBovier mandolins too. Please post if you have any.
    Thanks all for the help.

Nalajr

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I would love to try a JBovier , i have compared eastman to loars and like loars better bt haven't played anyJBovier to compare i would like to hear from every one which one they like better and why, thanks
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Hey all,

I just looked up the Kentucky 900 and 950 mandos. I didn't know they were both A styles. Not that that matters much, I'd gladly take one.

I'd like to know what you would say would be the best choice in the F style Kentucky line in that price range of the 950 and 900? That is if their mandos in that range are good and are thought of as highly as the 950 and 900 are.

I know I saw a KM1000 that had a black top on it that was very pretty. I recall reading a recent post from a member that just got a used KM1500, I think, and he spoke very highly of it. Of course I believe the new 1500 would be out of my price range.

What do you all think of the higher lever Kentucky F styles?

Oh, I started a new thread asking for pics and info of JBovier mandolins. I hope it's OK.
    Maybe the owners will flock to that thread and post up. I'd especially like to see pics of those Black topped A's and F's.

Thanks all.

nalajr

I wanted to add one more tidbit.

You know all this looking and researching mandos can literally drive a person crazy. Luckily for us, there are just so many darned good mandolins being made these days that it isn't a simple proposition to go out and get a new mandolin. For those like me, that will have a budget of say $1250 or so, you can go any number of ways in both the A and F styles and would likely end up just fine no matter what mandolin you chose. I know there are differences in all mandolins, but I would say that most of us wouldn't notice very much difference at all in these really nice mandolins.
    If you don't have an outlet to go and look and play some of these mandolins, it is just that much tougher. You have to rely on help from you all that have had the experience of these various mandolins.

Thank you all for your help.

Nalajr

Blog Entries

What do you all think of the higher lever Kentucky F styles?
    I think they are extremely good. Very nicely built, with a thin finish and quality materials. For the price, you can't beat them. I have played a number of KM-1000's and 1500's and each one was a heck of a lot of 'serious' mandolin for the money.

I just noticed you also say you "like" Breedloves... well, they too are a very nice mandolin but have a completely different kind of sound than say, a KM-1000. This is where you really have to try to get to hear them. I have no idea which you might prefer, and it really is down to taste at this point. They are both quality instruments, but dissimilar in all kinds of ways, from tone to how the necks feel...
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

The Mandolin Store has sound clips of mandolins you might be interested in. N.F. I.

It has been stated frequently on this forum that an A-style will give you more bang for the buck, because you pay for the build quality, not for the strap hanger. Searching posts on the forum will also give you loads of info regarding all models mentioned. But if you live anywhere near a nice store, you should take the trip and try them out. What sounds good to some, may sound not so good to others. The Kentucky will probably give you the Bluegrass sound. Is that what you're playing most of the time, or are you into celtic, jazz, country, singer-songwriter stuff etc..? It's your ears and the music you play that should inform your choice. Another option in the 1K range would be a 40's, 50's or 60's Gibson A40 or A50, which can be had at this price point. These often sound good. For celtic style, the teen and twenties Gibson oval holes are good, but these tend to be pricier. I have a late 40's Gibson A 40, and it's a very nice allround player. Good luck in your search!

Blog Entries

As someone who is littler more than an onlooker right now, I would've bet that most of the responses would've been to go get an Eastman. It just seems that they get more ink than the others do. I guess that is changing. I think it's a good thing to have multiple companies that are making really great mandolins that are affordable by many players.
    Eastman, Kentucky, JBovier are all frequent and past winners on "king of the eastern mountain" polls here on the Cafe. Research past 'who's best?' threads and you'll find Eastman and JBovier winning their share of these contests as well imo.

Like ice cream(as many have described it) - any good scoop by itself can make you smile. The ONLY way to know what you prefer is to sample enough of it yourself to begin to appreciate what it is you like about it that makes it your favorite. If you live where trying them in a store is not an option - pick a crowd favorite and know that without something to compare it to you'll be thrilled to have it. Until you want something else but that's for another thread.

I don't think there is a decent mando store in Houston Texas. If there is, I'll certainly go and check them out. The one guitar store I went in and asked if they had mandolin strings...they had to hunt for the 1 or 2 sets they had. I'm surprised he didn't hold it out in front of him and blow dust off it.

Those higher end Kentucky mandos are up there in price. They make a Master Model that is almost $4000!! From all I have read and seen though, they are fine mandolins. I will say that I would have no problem at all in buying a JBovier mandolin The guy that runs it is a first rate guy that really cares about his customers and the instruments he sells them. Part of the experience is that you get a hands on treatment from him, if you like that kinda thing.
    Heck, all these brands of mandolins are really nice. There's not a dog in the bunch, as far as I can tell.

You know its hard to differentiate between the JBovier F5Special and the high end KM1000 from Kentucky or the high end from The Loar, Then the KM900 and KM950 from Kentucky from the JBovier A5 Special when you can't see or hear them in person.

One more question, when you are talking about A style mandos and many have talked about the prices on A styles going into quality instead of cosmetics and the fancy curley Q to hang your strap onto. How do you tell the differences in a $900 A style and an A style from the same people that is $1100? Like the KM900 and KM950? Is that just window dressing at that point or what? Or comparing the KM900 and KM950 to the JBovier A5 Special Black Top at $800...

Nalajr

Get a Kentucky km950. You won't need more mandolin than that for quite long time.