Thread: A true newbie.....

Default A true newbie.....

Yes, it it another beginner thread. As a music lover who has developed a passion for bluegrass over the last decade; I have decided that singing along with the CDs I own would be a LOT more fun if I could pick and strum along as well.

I purchased my Mandolin, a Fender FM-52-E, last week and have been scouring the internet for instructions, tips, etc as I begin this journey. I truly believe this site will be a great resource as I progress!

I purchased this book to get started :

http://www.amazon.com/Absolute-Begin.../dp/082563508X

I have also found a couple of beginner mandolin video series on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...F95D85253F2CCD

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...38E8523C222B77

I would love to hear any feedback on the information above and any additional videos or websites to visit to take me down the learning curve. Thanks for your time!

Blog Entries

Default Re: A true newbie.....

Welcome to the Mandolin Cafe!

If your new mandolin didn't come set up, take it to a luthier and have it done. It may cost between $40-100 depending on how much is done but this will get the bridge to the optimal height and position for comfortable playing all the way up the neck. Your fingers will appreciate it.

I hope your playing gives you years of joy.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

JEStanek,

I bought it from Sam Ash's in Indy. It is a slightly used model but was completely set-up by the store. My fingertips are getting used to the strings and I have a few of the two finger chords down pretty well. I appreciate the advice and hope to have decades of joy making music with it!

I see you are from Pottstown, PA, home of Yeungling. I REALLY wish that they would ship it to the state of Indiana! I really dislike having to drive two hours, one way, to purchase this fine brew :D

Blog Entries

a few more off the top of my head:

mandolessons.com

Don Julin You Tube lessons

littlerockmandolin.com

Mandolin for Dummies Book

Mandolin chord lookup here on Cafe

Finding a local instructor that is a good fit for you would be the best way up the learning curve. I didn't and wish I did. There are online lessons to be had also.

Blog Entries

Yeungling is made in Pottsville, about 90 minutes NW of me. I live closer to Victory and Yards brewing. Yummier for me as I like stouts and porters.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I'd also like to extend a welcome. You've got enough homework, so instead I'll share a bit about Yeungling.

I was introduced to the product line (so to speak) by friends at the Philly Folk Festival, who would bring cases every year to, ah, help things along, shall I say. Years and years later, I happened to find it at one store in CT, thirty-odd miles from me, and it became a habit to check in there on my infrequent times passing by. When I moved down here in 2002, I was surprised to find it being served at many of the bars here, typically at standard prices, same as Bud or Rolling Rock (another fine Keystone State brew). Found out the company had opened a brewery in Tampa, hence the local-level pricing. It so happens I passed through Tampa on my summer vacation, and, having a couple hours to kill, I went over. Tours were done for the day, but I picked up a hat and some knick-knacks. And took some pics. See the eagle?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140827_150157.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	160.7 KB 
ID:	125385 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140827_150409.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	125386 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140827_150501.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	248.6 KB 
ID:	125387

And that's how we doe here at the Café. We LOVE our tangents!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

I live in Florida and I'm drinking a Yuengling lager right now.

You can look at my ergonomic basics videos as well as others

http://www.petimarpress.com/videos.html
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

Thank you to Mark and Pete for the links for additional instruction. I will check them all out.

Journeybear and Chris-How I envy your ability to get Yeungling there in FL, at standard prices no less!

Ohio (where I trek to obtain my stock) charges about $20/case presently. I get nervous when my supply drops below two cases.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

this page and www.mandozine.com have tab files in the, "Tabedit" format. You need the, "Tabeditviewer" to open these files. Highly recommend getting this free viewer on your computer. Then you can search the tabedit archives and get some tunes to work on. The nice thing about the tabeditviewer is the program will play the music through your tinny computer speakers (computer-generated version of music), but it'll inform your ear to see where the music's going and such.

Download (for example), "Whiskey Before Breakfast" and give it a go! I think everybody's learned that tune!

I also want to encourage you to learn the full 4-finger chop chords. I mean there's only two to master. Look at a mandolin chord chart and learn the closed form of the D and the G chords. You'll think them impossible at first. They're not and we've all learned to master these chords. I consider this essential.

I also want to encourage you to recognize the importance of the right hand. Most beginners feel the struggle's in the fretting hand. It doesn't take too long to realize though that all the music's in the right hand.

Find a jam. Sure, you're not ready. I get that. Just go, listen and write down the tunes they're playing. It's good to focus on the tunes that are likely to be played at your local jams. That way in a few months (or a year) you'll be in a better position to join the fun.

Think realistically about how you (and all other babies) learned to speak. We imitated our parents and did a bit of babbling, experimentation and forced ourselves to speak like we heard. Learn a bit of ear training. I mean if you want to play, "Happy Birthday" just try playing it - no music, no fingering charts, just make it happen. That'll train your ear to just sing the instrument. I"m not against theory, but in learning a language, we learn to speak well before we learn what a noun or verb means. I'm not suggesting that you forgo music theory, I'm just suggesting you take some time to experiment. Most teachers will start you with the subject of how to make a scale and how to make chords. They'll talk about modes of music and such. That's fun, interesting and good stuff. Building your calluses, having fun and making music is (to me) a better starting point.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

11. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

Blog Entries

Well whatdyaknow, I recognize that guy in your second youtube playlist. Here is a more complete listing of all of my mandolin videos: http://www.bradleylaird.com/playthemandolin/videos.html

Good luck and happy picking!

13. The following members say thank you to bradlaird for this post:

Brad,

I have enjoyed watching and learning from your video series! I really appreciate how you slow things down a bit for us beginners

Must. Keep. Practicing. Ben Cooper's Avatar

I have watched many of these different instruction videos. Really enjoying them!
    Benjamin C
    Girouard A-5 #62
    Fender FM-100

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture."

16. The following members say thank you to Ben Cooper for this post: