Thread: Any good music US festivals in late May/early June?

Default Any good music US festivals in late May/early June?

My wife and I are likely to be in Connecticut for a wedding on 1st June, travelling from Scotland.

I would quite like to catch some music when we're in the States, perhaps at a festival the weekend before or the weekend after. I'm open to suggestions. A bluegrass event would be fine, but my tastes are pretty broad.

I'm quite happy to spend time in a state I haven't been to, so any suggestions anywhere are welcome.

I still sometimes think about how lucky we were to catch the Grateful Dead in Portland, Maine when we were on our honeymoon. Something like that would be fun as well.

As I say, open to ideas.

Thanks.
    David A. Gordon

Default Re: Any good music US festivals in late May/early June?

Delfest is Memorial Day weekend-- the last weekend in May and usually has a good and eclectic lineup of mandoliny bands-- its definitely in the "wide definition of bluegrass" and has some "old timers" and jam-bands, It's in western Maryland, so a pretty rural area in north-central Appalachia that you probably wouldn't see without a reason to head there.

If you're willing to invest a bit of extra time, they have Delfest Academy for the better part of the week leading up to the festival where you can learn from the likes of Ronnie McCoury and a few other headliners. Its the best week of the year!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KEB For This Useful Post:

Strawberry Park Bluegrass Festival

Might fit the bill.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

5. The following members say thank you to J Mangio for this post:

Too late for Merlefest, unfortunately - that's a nice, eclectic festival with good mando representation.

https://merlefest.org/lineup/

D.H.

7. The following members say thank you to Dave Hicks for this post:

I'll second Delfest. I've been to several of them, including last year's. It's a well run enjoyable festival with an eclectic range of acts.
    Bob

9. The following members say thank you to redietz for this post:

Delfest sounds exactly what I'm looking for! Thank you so much. I'll get tickets etc sorted out tomorrow, I think.

Meanwhile the Strawberry Park Music Festival in Preston, Conn looks good when we're in Connecticut the following weekend. It seems to be called Cajun & Zydeco Music and Dance Festival, which certainly sounds fun, and indeed is not far from where we're going to be. Actually, we have relations in Preston! I'm having trouble finding out much about their Bluegrass Festival, but I'll keep looking.

Thanks again for taking the trouble to respond. I appreciate it very much.
    David A. Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Gordon View Post
    Delfest sounds exactly what I'm looking for! Thank you so much. I'll get tickets etc sorted out tomorrow, I think.

Thanks again for taking the trouble to respond. I appreciate it very much.
    Awesome-- let me know if you have any questions. I've been going for a number of years and can probably answer any details. Hope we get to pick a tune together!

Quote Originally Posted by KEB View Post
    Awesome-- let me know if you have any questions. I've been going for a number of years and can probably answer any details. Hope we get to pick a tune together!
    Well, I think I'll probably take you up on that actually.

Stuff like where to stay, easiest way to get there, we'll probably hire a car, etc etc.

I'll be in touch, if that's ok. Thanks. Look forward to meeting you.
    David A. Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by KEB View Post
    So we've booked our tickets and an AirBnb in Cumberland. We'll now need to figure out flights to the States. It looks a really nice part of the country, which I don't think we would have seen otherwise. Thanks for your help and we look forward to seeing you there.
    David A. Gordon