Thread: NPD New Pick Day

Default NPD New Pick Day

I experimented a bit with different picks when I first started 3 years ago, but I pretty quickly eliminated about 90% of the cheap plastic/nylon/toilet seat/whatever and settled on Fender 351 mediums for the guitar and the mandolin. About one year ago I changed over to the same picks only in heavy for the guitar and extra heavy for the mandolin. I liked the sound of the 351’s but they do wear out pretty fast. The mitigating factor there is that they are dirt cheap about $7/dozen. I am pretty much a person of habit and I don’t hunt around for a magical remedy for my poor playing, but having heard so much about several different picks, my curiosity was in a tight battle with my cheap nature that recoiled at the thought of spending as much as $25 for a pick! So, still being cheap, I elected to go for the Primetone 1mm in the 351 shape. At 3/$8.00 They came today and I am impressed!!! Yes, they do make a difference. I was wrong thinking that a pick wouldn’t make that much difference and couldn’t possibly be worth 4X more than my beloved Fenders. The Primetones sounded best on the guitar. They made a big difference in the tone. On the mandolin, it did make a difference, but not quite as dramatically, and the 1mm thickness seems to be right for both instruments or at least it feels right in my hand on both instruments. I like the way they put the non slip surface on both sides of the pick. We’ll just have to see on the longevity.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Ibanez M-522
    Gold Tone GM 10 Frypan

Blog Entries

Default Re: NPD New Pick Day

That is the one thing that is impossible to test. Longevity.

They asked Dracula, are vampires immortal? He reportedly replied "well that is the theory, but it takes so long to verify."
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

I've tried a couple different types of the Primetone picks, the dark brown triangles, the redish raised logo ones, the tear drop shaped, the rounded shaped.... all of them where just ok to me. If I use them it's on guitar or bass (rock style playing). I think I gave most of them away to friends, who really like them.

I'm glad they are working for you! Picks are fun and fairly cheap to experiment with. Enjoy!

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

I keep two Primetone 1.5 Large Triangles and two Golden Gate X-Stiff Clown Barf Large Triangles in every mandolin case & guitar case. I mostly reach for the Clown Barf, even over my Blue Chip picks.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in NH View Post
    I keep two Primetone 1.5 Large Triangles and two Golden Gate X-Stiff Clown Barf Large Triangles in every mandolin case & guitar case.
    I do the same with GG and Dawg picks. Just in case I forget to bring my picks.

Don’t be afraid to try new shapes and thicknesses within the Primetones.

I used a smooth 1.5mm 351 shape for a few years, then switched this year to using 1.4mm large triangles. I feel like it is faster off of the strings.

It’s all very personal, of course. Use what works best for you.
    Eastman MD515 mandolin
    Gretsch G9310 mandolin
    Eastman MDO305E-SB octave mandolin
    Eastman E20om guitar
    Vega Little Wonder tenor banjo
    Epiphone El Capitan acoustic bass

Primetone 1.5, small triangle, righthand bevel is my go to pick. sounds better than Bluechip and others.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

And don’t forget that the Cafe has two traveling Pick Samplers that folks can sign up for and test out a bunch of different picks before buying some. Over 350 picks between the two samplers.

Quote Originally Posted by Denis Kearns View Post
    And don’t forget that the Cafe has two traveling Pick Samplers that folks can sign up for and test out a bunch of different picks before buying some. Over 350 picks between the two samplers.

And very well organized by Denis, I might add, so that you know what you're trying out.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar