Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Celtic star octave mandolin

Default Celtic star octave mandolin

Thinking of buying one of these long scale oms for pub gigs and sessions. Anybody here have experience of these? Its got a pu installed but I'll be changing that as im sure its rubbish

Blog Entries

Default Re: Celtic star octave mandolin

I'm pretty sure it's a mass produced Romanian instrument (Hora), and while functional, will probably benefit from a going over by a luthier. To be honest, I'd just save my money up, and buy a quality instrument from the get go, but it's your cash, not mine
    =============================
    Apollonio Acousto-electric bouzouki (in shop)
    Mixter 10 string mandola (still waiting 2+ yrs)
    Unknown brand Mandocaster (on the way!)
    "Doubt begins only at the last frontiers of what is possible." -- Ambrose Bierce

I don't think the Celtic Star stuff is made by Hora.
    Steve

I just wantd a cheapie but its already sold.bah

Blog Entries

I stand corrected, they're from Germany.
    "Doubt begins only at the last frontiers of what is possible." -- Ambrose Bierce

They are made by Hora. I played one in a music store. The label said " made in Romania". The gentleman in Germany who markets these on eBay contracts with the Hora factory to manufacture the instruments to his own specifications. They are not recognizable as Hora because of the unique colors finishes and inlays. As for the one I played, I found the unplugged sound unimpressive but good enough for a cheaply I guess. The glossy finish had a big crack in it so whatever they use is susceptible to weather checking, apparently.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steve L View Post
    I don't think the Celtic Star stuff is made by Hora.
    Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    They are made by Hora. I played one in a music store. The label said " made in Romania". The gentleman in Germany who markets these on eBay contracts with the Hora factory to manufacture the instruments to his own specifications. They are not recognizable as Hora because of the unique colors finishes and inlays. As for the one I played, I found the unplugged sound unimpressive but good enough for a cheaply I guess. The glossy finish had a big crack in it so whatever they use is susceptible to weather checking, apparently.
    So I was correct?

If so, I'd find that price a bit too expensive considering the source. May as well spend the same money for a Trinity College, IMHO.

The stuff on Celtic Star's website all has a deeper, more onion-shaped body with a fixed pin bridge and a solid headstock...quite different than anything I've ever seen from Hora.

http://www.celtic-star.com/
    Steve

What I stated in this earlier Celtic Star thread is that "Hora says they don't build Celtic Star instruments."

What I based this definitive statement on, I can't remember four years later. But while I'm often wrong, I'm never in doubt...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I purchased the Celtic star "octave mandolin" second hand but found the neck somewhat short, so I use it as a mandola, it's OK it was < $400, but for an octave in that price range I would either go trinity college or Johnson ( if they even make those anymore)
    the action is not the best, it has an internal pickup, but the tone is loud and bright, they are flat tops with a strangely curved back
    not sure if the model you are looking it is the same as mine but the label says - designed in Germany, made in Romania.
    Again a decent instrument for the price, but not optimal for octave mandolin.

Allen- on Nov. 27, 2013 you posted "Hora instruments can be found labeled Celtic Star, Ozark, Troubadour, etc.".
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

12. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    Allen- on Nov. 27, 2013 you posted "Hora instruments can be found labeled Celtic Star, Ozark, Troubadour, etc.".
    See Post #9 -- often wrong, never in doubt...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I just got a quick and warm response from Jens-Peter Loof at Celtic Star. Up to 2010, the instruments were made by Hora. Since then, with complete redesigns by the owner, they are built in Korea. Jens-Peter builds the prototypes as well.

I told him we were having this conversation about his instruments and he sends his regards.
    Steve

This is an interesting thread on Celtic Star, Hora, opinions, etc. and I'd like to add a comment on the Hora OM/Bouzouki. I recently bought a Hora to add to my arsenal of guitars, Weber Mandola and custom Beard 19" OM and Pono ukulele . I find the Hora to have a bright, pretty loud voice that I enjoy hearing. When I got it, I decided to make a project of it to see how it would turn out with component upgrades; and I am pleased. I upgraded the machines to Grovers and added an Allen bronze tailpiece and still have only $303.00 in it. My reasoning is that it with the all solid woods, now having an adjustable truss rod and with the craftsmanship on Hora's stuff having improved over the last few years I was invited to experiment. So I thought it just might compare with TC's at less cost. IMHO, it does although it's not as pretty as TC'c, it does give the TC's a run on sound quality. I've considered that maybe I just got a really good one, which is possible, but I also reasoned that the price of any axe is determined by the cost of components as well as wood and lutherie time/cost. Romanian labor cost has to be fairly low which yields a low cost instrument so the Hora might just be a dark horse in the market. So, bottom line is for me a very pleasing project that improved sustain, overall sound and stays in tune longer and for only $303! Comments welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve L View Post
    I just got a quick and warm response from Jens-Peter Loof at Celtic Star. Up to 2010, the instruments were made by Hora. Since then, with complete redesigns by the owner, they are built in Korea. Jens-Peter builds the prototypes as well.

I told him we were having this conversation about his instruments and he sends his regards.
    Looking at the website I'd have to say they certainly look a cut above my Trinity College. They have a zero fret and plenty of other cool features and attention to detail that I wouldn't expect at that price point, and include a hard case. Wish there were sound samples though.
    "But wasn't it all stupid nonsense, rot, gibberish, and criminally fraudulent nincompoopery?"
    - Neal Stephenson, Quicksilver

Still learning Taylor and Tenor's Avatar

IMHO, buy a used Trinity College. In the long run, you will be ahead of the game. There is no comparison, especially if you want to sell it later.

Guys as i said ages ago, its already sold

Ok
    Last edited by luthierseye; Nov-08-2014 at 9:23am. Reason: started new thread as my post was off topic sorta

I would stay away from Celtic Star instruments; about 8 or 9 years ago I bought a CS "Irish" bouzouki and it was total garbage. The thing was very flimsy and the strings buzzed regardless of what tweaking I tried. Unless they have improved over the last decade, I would, as I said, stay away.
    Definately save up more money for a quality instrument. I had a Red Valley octave mandolin and it was fantastic, ran me about $1,200. Made in USA. I hear Petersen instruments are good as well; there is one in the classifieds for $800.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatswain View Post
    I would stay away from Celtic Star instruments; about 8 or 9 years ago I bought a CS "Irish" bouzouki and it was total garbage. The thing was very flimsy and the strings buzzed regardless of what tweaking I tried. Unless they have improved over the last decade, I would, as I said, stay away.
    Definately save up more money for a quality instrument. I had a Red Valley octave mandolin and it was fantastic, ran me about $1,200. Made in USA. I hear Petersen instruments are good as well; there is one in the classifieds for $800.
    Not to worry, Garry is now in the queue for a new Davy Stuart!
    "But wasn't it all stupid nonsense, rot, gibberish, and criminally fraudulent nincompoopery?"

Haha thanks Mike! I still need a short scale for melody playing, maybe a custom octave mandola haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson View Post
    Not to worry, Garry is now in the queue for a new Davy Stuart!
    lucky man!

Quote Originally Posted by Boatswain View Post
    lucky man!
    Iwork hard, dont drink or smoke so this is my vice. Not a bad hobby though eh guys

Quote Originally Posted by garryireland View Post
    Iwork hard, dont drink or smoke so this is my vice. Not a bad hobby though eh guys
    Clean living plus music sounds like a good formula to me!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by garryireland View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson View Post
    Clean living plus music sounds like a good formula to me!
    Same here - my new vice is playing and collecting CBOMs