Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CMSA 2015 Convention October 13-18, 2015

Default Re: CMSA 2015 Convention October 13-18, 2015

I'm not able to get away for the Austin CMSA convention. I would very much like to obtain a t-shirt with Sugar's image on it; is this possible? Thanks -

Jerry Martin

Great idea! We've created an online visitor's guide with points of interest near the convention hotel, but I had forgotten about Quality Seafood, which is very nearby. Definitely recommended!

http://www.amandolinorchestra.com/vi...for-cmsa-2015/

Hi Jerry:

We don't currently have a way to distribute the t-shirts outside of convention registration, however we are looking into it. Stay tuned. After the convention, hopefully we will have some extras to sell.

CMSA 2015 Convention - IMPORTANT NOTICE

Our host hotel, the Midtown Holiday Inn, is now fully booked for two of the nights of our convention. We are negotiating additional rooms with nearby hotels (within a few blocks). We expect to announce those hotels sometime tomorrow after negotiations are complete.

So, if you've not booked your rooms yet, hang in there for a while and check back tomorrow afternoon for more information.
    Dotty

CMSA 2015 Austin Convention Hotel Update - IMPORTANT! Time Sensitive!

The convention hotel is Sold Out. But not to worry - we've identified two nearby hotels within walking distance that have between 10 - 30 rooms at a CMSA rate that are available for reservation until 10/1(Hyatt Place) or 10/4 (Courtyard Marriott).

Please read the hotel section of our Convention News page for further details.

While this might be an inconvenience for some, it really is a good problem to have - this is the first time that anyone can remember that we've sold out the host hotel. Should be an AWESOME convention!!!

http://classicalmandolinsociety.org/...convention.asp
    Dotty

Would anyone attending CMSA be willing to procure 2 t-shirts for me? Strange question, I know, but killer design. Please PM will cover all associated costs including your time/trouble. Thx!

Received my music for the convention about 3 weeks ago. Practice is going well....but I had a couple questions about some markings in the music. can anyone tell me what these mean ?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00110 (1).jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	139178
    1919 Gibson A3
    1920 Gibson A2
    1937 Gibson K1 Mandocello
    2015 Eastman Bowlback

Layer of Complexity Kevin Knippa's Avatar

Open string harmonics at the twelfth fret.

9. The following members say thank you to Kevin Knippa for this post:

That's what i figured, but I have not seen that particular mark before.
    ThanksName:  DSC00113.JPG
Views: 342
Size:  51.0 KB
    Here are some more !
    Last edited by John Uhrig; Oct-04-2015 at 9:01pm. Reason: Uploaded pic
    1919 Gibson A3
    1920 Gibson A2
    1937 Gibson K1 Mandocello
    2015 Eastman Bowlback

It looks like the x'ed d notes have the marking below in German to strike on damped string. And then the chord under the roman numeral III says to do an arpeggio over damped strings.

Don't worry too much about this, we'll get lots of clarifications in the first sectional rehearsals that will happen Thursday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by John Uhrig View Post
    That's what i figured, but I have not seen that particular mark before.
    ThanksName:  DSC00113.JPG
Views: 342
Size:  51.0 KB
    Here are some more !
    Dotty

12. The following members say thank you to dj coffey for this post:

I am a new mandolin player and mostly interested in bluegrass and the like but I enjoy classical. I just recently stumbled on the CMSA event that is happening about 2 hours away from me. Can you guys tell me more about this? is is worth me attending, I don't know that much about it.
    Thanks!

mandofrank, I've attended a bunch of these conventions and they have all been amazing. The focus is on having fun and becoming a better mandolin player. While "classical" music (always debatable exactly what that means) is central, attendees play all kinds of music. Some CMSA members are not bluegrass players but a large percentage have played their share of bluegrass and a number are very, very good in that style. The evening concerts this year are free, featuring world class players like Carlo Aonzo and Paul Glasse, and the post-concert jam sessions will likely range from familiar fiddle tune and jazz gatherings to groups playing various ethnic styles and sight-reading string quartets and renaissance music.

CMSA probably won't this close to you anytime soon so you might want to come check it out.

John G.

Wow, what a convention this has been!

Over 130 instrumentalists performed in the En Masse Orchestra directed by Dr. Jim Bates. It was a big and luscious sound.

Joel Hobbes world premier Memories of the Future was a wonderful work that everyone enjoyed. Austin Mandolin Orchestra's performance of the 15 Minutes of Fame pieces was delightful!

Carlo Aonzo, René Izquierdo and Elina Chekan performed amazing works on mandolin and guitar, and Paul Glasse and his ensemble delighted the audience with their jazz performance.

Rich DelGrosse made a surprise appearance and performed with Carlo and guitarist Lorenzo Piccone for a final blues set.

In the coming days, we expect to share Youtubes of the En Masse performance and some selected Open Mic performances. Stay tuned!

Do like us on Facebook to see the latest. You can also visit us without a Facebook account as it is a Public page. FB: Classical Mandolin Society of America
    Dotty

It all sounds wonderful!

So... any leftover t-shirts a person might be able to purchase?

Jerry M.