Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CMSA 2015 Convention October 13-18, 2015

Default CMSA 2015 Convention October 13-18, 2015

Follow this thread for emerging news of the 29th annual convention of the Classical Mandolin Society of America, to be held in Austin, Texas October 13-18, 2015.

To whet your appetite, the host orchestra - the Austin Mandolin Orchestra - shares this beautiful video of their home city.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCXnq2kJZjg
    Dotty

2. The following members say thank you to dj coffey for this post:

MLT 

Default Re: CMSA 2015 Convention October 13-18, 2015

Looking forward to Austin!
    MLT
    Oregon Mandolin Orchestra
    Classical Mandolin Society of America
    Labraid Cytole

Hi, I just joined the CMSA today, and am waiting for my password so I can check out the music for new members
    If I miss one day’s practice, I notice it. If I miss two days’ practice, the critics notice it. If I miss three days’ practice, the public notices it.
    Franz Liszt, 1894

Quote Originally Posted by rubydubyr View Post
    Hi, I just joined the CMSA today, and am waiting for my password so I can check out the music for new members
    Excellent!

There's a huge trove of music from the golden age of mandolin orchestras (late 1800's/early 1900's) plus a starter music library for new mandolin orchestras. And the recordings from past CMSA conventions make for some very interesting listening!

If you hear something intriguing from past conventions and want scores, we can probably get you in touch with the orchestra director who can give information on how to obtain parts and scores.

Many of our members hang out here on the Cafe. The CMSA also has a Facebook page - look up Classical Mandolin Society of American and see what our members are up to!
    Dotty

Happy New Year everyone!

As our first announcement for 2015, I'm happy to share that Dr. Jim Bates has agreed to join us again as conductor for the En Masse orchestra this year. Jim has held this position for a number of years and his energy and musicality is a huge hit with CMSA attendees. For more about Jim, check this out.

http://www.namandolinensemble.com/pa...os/jbates.html
    Dotty

Pretty snazzy!

I've booked my room for the 2015 CMSA convention at the Holiday Inn Austin Midtown. Rates are great - $114 per night (with taxes, etc. $131). And that rate is good 3 days before AND after, so you can explore Austin and the Texas Hill Country. You can book online or via phone (888-300-6273) - do identify yourself as attending the CMSA convention to get the group rate!
    Dotty

Excellent news!

Quote Originally Posted by dj coffey View Post
    Dr. Jim Bates has agreed to join us again as conductor for the En Masse orchestra this year.

Exciting news for those of you attending this year's convention!

We welcome the return of Carlo Aonzo on mandolin and Rene Izquierdo on guitar. Many of you have attended Carlo's esteemed Manhattan Workshop and others will remember Rene from the 2011 convention in Minneapolis. In addition, Paul Glasse will join us to provide a jazz/Texas Swing flavor on mandolin to our proceedings. Do check out their websites for more!

http://www.carloaonzo.com/about

http://www.reneizquierdoguitar.com/biography.htm

http://www.jazzmando.com/paul_glasse.shtml
    Dotty

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dj coffey For This Useful Post:

Ya me ! Just booked my room for the convention. This will be my first time to go....feels like a long time till October
    1919 Gibson A3
    1920 Gibson A2
    1937 Gibson K1 Mandocello
    2015 Eastman Bowlback

It’s that time! Time to register for the 2015 CMSA Convention in Austin, Texas.

Featuring on Mandolin: Carlo Aonzo and Paul Glasse. Featuring on Guitar: Rene Izquierdo. Featuring En Masse Conductor: Dr. Jim Bates.

Convention runs from October 14 through 18, with optional special workshops beginning Tuesday evening, October 13 - Classical Mandolin Technique Master Class with Carlo Aonzo and, new this year, The Poised Guitarist Master Class with Rene Izquierdo.

Space is limited in these master classes so register soon!

Signup: http://classicalmandolinsociety.org/signup.asp

Convention details and hotel info: http://classicalmandolinsociety.org/...convention.asp

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015_shirt_logo.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	252.6 KB 
ID:	136733
    Dotty

T-shirts and tote bags

You guys have seen the logo. Awesome, right? We also have tote bags.

This year and going forward, we're going green. So purchasing a fashionable and reusable CMSA logo tote bag is the way to go!

Best way is to purchase either/both is when you sign up. There will only be a limited number of tote bags (and t-shirts) available at the convention.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tote_bag.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	184.0 KB 
ID:	136734
    Dotty

From the Austin Mandolin Orchestra - hosts for this year's convention

Some of you may be wondering about the logo for the CMSA 2015 convention in Austin. The theme Diá de las Mandolinas (Days of the Mandolins) is based on Diá de los Muertos (Days of the Dead), which is a celebration to remember one’s ancestors that falls close to the convention dates.

The most familiar symbols of Diá de los Muertos are the calacas and calaveras (skeletons and sugar skulls), which appear everywhere during the holiday. Calacas and calaveras are almost always portrayed as enjoying life, often in fancy clothes and entertaining situations. Google images for “sugar skulls” to see the delightful calaveras, both sugary and human.

Sugar, this year’s mascot, is definitely enjoying her life by playing mandolin. We think Sugar is quite lovely and hope you agree. Sugar will be at the convention October 13-18, 2015. Will you be? Visit the Classical Mandolin Society of America's website at www.classicalmandolinsociety.org to register.
    Dotty

Are you, or do you know a full time student who plays any of the instruments commonly found in a mandolin orchestra? (guitar, mandolin, mandola, octave mandolin, mandocello, bass) If so, the CMSA truly wishes to offer scholarships to the convention.

Check out our scholarship page for more information!
    Dotty

2015 Convention Early Birds:

Looking for something to do Tuesday evening (10/13)? Join us for a night of brew, bats and Mexican Food. Yes, we said bats! The hotel shuttle leaves at 4:30 for the Blackstar Co-op Brewery. After a brew or two, we'll ride the rapid metro bus to the Congress St bridge to watch the bats' nightly departure into the evening sky, then on to Guero's Taco Bar in the heart of Austin's popular So-Co district. We'll return to the hotel around 10:45 PM.

Bring $3.50 exact change for the bus ride and $ for dinner. Please try to bring assorted bills as the restaurant discourages separate checks. We may be walking as far as 3 blocks in between bus stops so wear your walking shoes.

Sign up early as participation is limited to 20. If interested, contact cmsa2015@amandolinorchestra.com
    Dotty

2015 Convention Attendees: what's scarier than the Commerce Street bats? Perhaps performing at open-mic? Well, not at all really! We encourage CMSA members of all experience levels to take advantage of this terrific opportunity to master stage fright, try out new music or techniques, or just enjoy sharing music with an audience who truly appreciates what you are doing and is rooting for you all the way!

If you didn't sign up at registration, email open-mic@classicalmandolinsociety.org for more information.
    Dotty

Coming soon! Distribution of 2015 CMSA En Masse parts!

If you're registered for the convention, you'll receive an email about the music around the first week of September. If you're not registered for the convention yet, do so now and get your music soon and start practicing!!!
    Dotty

One of the best kept secrets about CMSA conventions? Guitars. And we'd love to see more!

What's even better? A guitar-focused pre-convention workshop - The Poised Guitarist - lead by Rene Izquierdo!

http://classicalmandolinsociety.org/...convention.asp
    Dotty

Announcing your Convention Section Leaders!

We are pleased to announce section leaders for the En Masse orchestra. Jim Bates is leading the basses/mando-basses, Rene Izquierdo will lead the guitars, DeDe Hurson from the Austin Mandolin Orchestra will lead the mandocellos, Bob Margo will lead the mandolas, Natalia Osypenko - conductor of the Regina Mandolin Orchestra - is leading the 2nd mandolins, and Carlo Aonzo will lead the 1st mandolins!

We know you're looking forward to receiving your parts. We are in the final stages of readying these and expect to email them soon!
    Dotty

I wonder if you could do something like Mandopolis in Austin?

That would be fun. Why don't you join us in Austin and lead a group to make this happen?
    MLT
    Labraid Cytole

Quote Originally Posted by MLT View Post
    That would be fun. Why don't you join us in Austin and lead a group to make this happen?
    Other than a general lack of talent? I teach, so any events during the school year that aren't within driving distance are pretty much impossible for me.

Sorry if my last post came off as a demand, I was just wondering out loud whether something like that event could happen in a city such as Austin.

24. The following members say thank you to delsbrother for this post:

MLT 

Too bad you are unable to attend. But it is completely understandable. I did not take your suggestion as a demand in any way, quite the opposite, I think it is a great idea and was just hoping, with my out loud voice, you could join us and make it happen. Maybe another convention in the future. I think I can safely speak for our members in saying we look forward to you joining us when it works out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by delsbrother View Post
    Other than a general lack of talent? I teach, so any events during the school year that aren't within driving distance are pretty much impossible for me.

Sorry if my last post came off as a demand, I was just wondering out loud whether something like that event could happen in a city such as Austin.
    MLT
    Labraid Cytole

CMSA 2015: Still on the fence about attending? Planning your days in Austin?

Our preliminary schedule is available online for your perusal.

As schedules go - there may be changes, so be sure and download or obtain a paper copy when you arrive at the convention.

http://classicalmandolinsociety.org/...-Workshops.pdf
    Dotty

27. The following members say thank you to dj coffey for this post:

Dotty, thanks a million for posting this schedule and workshop list. Some amazing opportunities there for mandolinists of all stripes. I think the Luthiers' Forum (Collings, Ellis, Blain and Cohen) would be especially interesting to Cafe regulars.

John G.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Alternative dining recommendation che è vicino, penso to where y'all are staying.

Quality Seafood.

Great fish, great bar. Old School Austin.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig