Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mando string winder adapter for cordless drill?

Default Re: Mando string winder adapter for cordless drill?

Nah! Real mando players don't use some wimpy cordless screwdriver with a plastic string-winder attachment -- they use an air hammer with a chrome-moly steel impact socket (available in a series of convenient sizes)! This really helps loosen those stubborn tuning pegs. Works best on those expensive Waverly tuners, by the way.

One of these Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EX5_5100.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	7.1 KB 
ID:	126519 plus one of these Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_24752.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	126520

(YMMV)

2. The following members say thank you to sblock for this post:

I worked in a store where we changed one whale of a lot of strings, stock and customer instruments.....POWER was never a real option, this was '74-'77, a decent crank winder was a hard enough thing to find (Herco was the most durable), I have lost mine and, after thirty years and do not really miss it.
    Develop the right technique, much like making music, it's not that hard.
    Two pages, I am laughing my snowblower off!

Twelve inches of snow and a new blower this morning, hence the joke. Happy to not be in Buffalo, NY or most of upstate NY, Michigan is more than enough for me.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

I would rather be set on fire for 15 minutes than change mandolin strings. Having said that, I've never considered anything electrical because, after cutting off the excess, there's just isn't that much left to fret over. Something in my system seems to corrode/discolor the strings prematurely so I may change more often than many.

I have one of the carved wooden winders that's made for mandolins and it does a spectacular job.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    ...Happy to not be in Buffalo, NY or most of upstate NY...
    About two inches of snow in Rochester, 75 miles away from the six-foot-plus debacle in Buffalo, as well as most of Erie and Niagara Counties. Now it's pushing eastward through Wyoming, Genesee, and into Livingston County, but the forecast says it won't get here.

Temps going up around 60º by Sunday/Monday. When all that lake effect snow melts, gonna be one helluva wet mess west of here. We get plenty of snow in Rochester every year, but Buffalo got a year's worth in three days. My heart goes out to them, and the ten who've died there so far.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Just had an email from a buddy in Little Falls,
    "Some scattered snow" he's not concerned.
    "They" say fifty "ish" here for the weekend.
    Looks like a lousy skating season this week or so!
    Timothy F. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Sven the Impaler View Post
    Would like to get a power string winder adapter small enough for mandolin keys. One that I could chuck in my cordless drill.

The one I use on guitars is too big n chunky for the mando keys (and they are spaced too close together).

Anyone find one?

Thx
    I have a Black and Decker "Pivot Driver" and a Dean Markley "Turbo-Tune" string winder. The winder is two pieces, the handle and the piece that goes on the tuner button, the winder fits two sizes of button, large (guitar) and small (mandolin). The part that fits on the tuner buttons is round and will fit between the tuner button on a mandolin. I don't believe Dean Markley makes this winder anymore, you might find one on E-Bay, but this really works nice. If you don't care for string winders, just keep on doing it by hand, hey, there are people I know who don't like electronic tuners and still use tuning forks. There are people who don't like the extension on the fret-board, it never seemed to bother Bill. Do your thing, if everyone done and liked the same thing, we would be in a mess.

Registered User Sven the Impaler's Avatar

Thanks Meadowview......just found them still in stock at:

http://www.gollihurmusic.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Meadowview View Post
    I have a Black and Decker "Pivot Driver" and a Dean Markley "Turbo-Tune" string winder. The winder is two pieces, the handle and the piece that goes on the tuner button, the winder fits two sizes of button, large (guitar) and small (mandolin). The part that fits on the tuner buttons is round and will fit between the tuner button on a mandolin. I don't believe Dean Markley makes this winder anymore, you might find one on E-Bay, but this really works nice. If you don't care for string winders, just keep on doing it by hand, hey, there are people I know who don't like electronic tuners and still use tuning forks. There are people who don't like the extension on the fret-board, it never seemed to bother Bill. Do your thing, if everyone done and liked the same thing, we would be in a mess.
    A mandolin, a jug of beer, and thou...

Registered User Douglas McMullin's Avatar

With barely more than a single wind around the post for each string, it seems like the winder would take longer to pickup and as opposed to just winding it by hand.

I use the "one over, two under" method but I still use just my fingers, personally, I just don't see the need for just one set of strings. Now, when I did several guitars and or mandolins, the hand crank was some help but, I still preferred the hand method. To each, his own.
    Timothy F. Lewis