Thread: Just had to say something.

Default Just had to say something.

I was on a forum that's supposed to be about Traditional Irish/Scottish music. Mostly folks post You Tube clips they like. So there's this guy (his avatar should have clued me) who posted an "instructional" video on the mandolin.

First, he goes all gear-head about how his instrument is constructed and is setup to stay in tune. It's out of tune. He then demonstrates playing. He plays some old/timey/bluegrassy/strummy stuff. Ok, I'm not a genre nazi, no sweats.

What got my goat was that his left hand technique just begged for struggle and possible future carpal. As one who had to spend a year unlearning crap technique …. I just couldn't hold myself back.

So, trying to be kind, pointed out the left hand technique could cause problems ~ that his instrument sounded out of tune to me …. and posted the, now gold standard, Mike Marshall video showing how to hold the mandolin.

If I get kicked out of that forum. Oh well. Just couldn't help myself.
    Just visiting.

1923 Gibson A jr Paddlehead mandolin
    Newish Muddy M-4 Mandolin
    New Deering Goodtime Special open back 17 Fret Tenor Banjo

Default Re: Just had to say something.

I'd like to see this video, it sounds like a classic.

I'll pm you. I really don't want to hang someone's laundry out in public. I just watched my first attempt at Kesh … and wept.
    Just visiting.

Fair enough

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

If you get kicked out of that forum - which I don't think will happen - you'll still be welcome here. Plus, you'll have more free time, part of which you can add to your time spent here. Furthermore, since they seem to be OK with having the likes of me here, you should have nothing to worry about.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

6. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Okay …. this person in question is a real class act. He graciously accepted my comments and we had a nice dialogue. Fairy dust, fairy dust, fairy dust. Maybe I helped to save him from carpal; maybe not.
    Just visiting.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Loretta Callahan For This Useful Post:

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Furthermore, since they seem to be OK with having the likes of me here
    We wouldn't have it any other way. Guys like you and David are why I come here!
    Good for you, Loretta. Advice is always easier to accept when offered with good intentions.
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Clements For This Useful Post: