Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accordion-Mandolin Italian sheet music

Sheri Mignano Crawford Mandophile's Avatar

Default Accordion-Mandolin Italian sheet music

I'm just putting a question out there to test the waters. As some of you know, I'm a Mandolin-loving Sicilian girl, raised in California, and I've done as much as any one person can do to promote and save the Italian musical heritage.

One of the interesting crossovers in Italian dance music was when the accordion and mandolin shared the repertoire and the stage thanks to Italians who were settling in the western locations (particularly San Francisco where there dozens of accordion manufacturers and tens of thousands of piano accordion player). In San Jose, California where I grew up, there were several Italian publishers: Zampiceni was one such place where I bought accordion music. Much of it was really mandolin repertoire written for accordionists! Biaggio Quattrociocche was a publishing source in NYC and later in Steubenville (I talk about this in my "Salami" book). Anyway...

As most of you know I'm very fond of that accordion-mandolin combo. So here's the question: I'm starting to scan all my old accordion music and would like to post it in the Drop Box. I wonder if this sort of collection (accordion music) would be of interest to mandolinists who enjoy playing with us (those darned accordions!!)? Let me know what you think?

Sheri~

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Accordion-Mandolin Italian sheet music

I would be very grateful.

Sheri,

I would be very grateful for the accordion music, too. Accordion is my main instrument, and I think the accordion-mandolin combo is terrific.

Thanks,
    Evelyn
    Harper (My other mandolin is a harp)

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Sheri, you couldn't be more amazing if you came for Christmas. My wife plays accordion and I have been squeezing / wheezing at it for a few years and have finally grown dedicated this fall. It has become completely addictive, so your timing is perfect! We play together often, but I'm mostly on guitar (such as my abilities are.) We do some fisarmonica / mando playing but I'm actually more into the idea of that with me playing accordion (such as my abilities are.)

I'm Irish, not Italian, but will do all I can to help in your preservation efforts. (I enjoy your arrangements, too.) Deeply grateful for all that you do....

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

6. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I haven't investigated the capabilities of Drop Box, but now I will have to. I had a lot of fun with this music a few years ago, when I got a gig playing solo mandolin in an Italian restaurant, and suddenly had to learn enough tunes to stretch out the ones I knew to last a four hour shift. (OK, so I repeated a two-hour repertoire. ) I found a lot of very useful information on this thread, (I see you posted there, too, so you may remember all this), especially the pdf file in this post. The twenty or so tunes I learned from that collection, added to the familiar popular numbers, was plenty for my purposes. But it would be fun to learn some more. And you are right about the way mandolin and accordion interact so well. Indeed, I was quite surprised to learn, after learning those tunes, that many of them were from this album of mostly accordion music. And all the while I had been thinking how well the music and mandolin were suited for each other! Well, they still are, so many of them in G, the fingerings fitting so nicely into first position.

So, um ... yes!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

8. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

This is great to hear positive early returns. Well, and it may take til Christmas for this scanning project...I want to have enough of an upload to make it worth everyone's time and effort. I tell you what...I'm going to give you a little tasty morsel. Right here, right now! Cesarina Mazurka was written by one of the FIVE Pezzolo brothers. Pietro Deiro (another famous accordionist did the arrangement). All of them taught and played accordion in the San Francisco bay area for decades. Here's one that everyone played going back to its debut in the 1930s! Have fun with it as it's a delightful little romp! and mandolinists will love playing it as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cesarina_Mazurka.pdf  

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Take your time, the effort is appreciated.

What a great offer, Sheri. I play regularly with an accordion player in our Scottish band (here in Scotland!) and it is always great to find something away from our usual repertoire of marches, jigs, strathspeys and reels, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandophile View Post
    Pietro Deiro (another famous accordionist did the arrangement).
    One of my favorite music stores to visit when I lived in New York City was Pietro Deiro's, just a walk from my apartment. It was a small shop but the history was there.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Thanks for the offer, Sheri. One of my bands features the mandolin/accordion combo, and we're always interested in new material.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

I am very interested. We have an accordion soloist in our orchestra (Long Island Mandolin and Guitar Orchestra) and she plays and reads great! Even if your music is just for duos of mandolin and accordion I would like to see them. Our concert mistress is a professional musician and she and our accordion player could do them at our concerts.
    David Herman

This is great to hear positive early returns. Well, and it may take til Christmas for this scanning project...I want to have enough of an upload to make it worth everyone's time and effort. I tell you what...I'm going to give you a little tasty morsel. Right here, right now! Cesarina Mazurka was written by one of the FIVE Pezzolo brothers. Pietro Deiro (another famous accordionist did the arrangement). All of them taught and played accordion in the San Francisco bay area for decades. Here's one that everyone played going back to its debut in the 1930s! Have fun with it as it's a delightful little romp! and mandolinists will love playing it as well.
    Our accordion player played it tonight and one of our best mandolin players jumped right in! Cesarina Mazurka is a wonderful piece! More please!!!
    David Herman

17. The following members say thank you to domradave for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    One of my favorite music stores to visit when I lived in New York City was Pietro Deiro's, just a walk from my apartment. It was a small shop but the history was there.
    I took piano lessons with teachers who lived on Charles Street near the store. I bought a lot of music from the store.
    David Herman

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    I would be very grateful.
    Me too!

Sheri,
    I love playing with accordions!!

Magistrale - La Bottega del Mandolino

21. The following members say thank you to Rick Schneider for this post:

I play in a Finnish band with a very talented accordion player - would love to get him playing music from warmer climes!

I've been able to upload a couple dozen titles. Many are quite rare, and 99% represent the greatest Italian accordionists in early accordion history (1900--): Cagnozzo, Gaviani, Nunzio, Deiro. Every title offers mandolinists a great opportunity to read the melodic line while the accordion fills in the rest. Titles like "Speranze Perdute" can be found in the previously uploaded mandolin links so if you've already downloaded those dances, these accordion scores will enable the accordionist to read from a proper score without having to rely just on chord symbols.

Here's the link.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j8w9c8236...RPuRCZZta?dl=0

and Yes, there's lots more coming. Now go out there and find yourself a great accordionist and have fun! Sheri~

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Thanks! it seemed to download as a zip file.

gee. I hope a zip file is OK and makes it easier. Enjoy!

27. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

Thanks, Sheri, for posting these. Such an amazing resource. Not sure my accordion skills are up to the challenge yet, but I know my fisarmonica teacher will enjoy seeing some of these scores.

Just wondering... some of the scanned files are pretty big .pdfs. Trieste_Overture itself is 33+ mb. Do you have Adobe Acrobat? If so, have you tried the "save as--reduced sized .pdf" option--under the 'file' pull down menu? It can often reduce really large scanned files down to more manageable sizes without losing quality. Might help with uploading and downloading future batches. You might have already done this, but I thought I'd raise the question.

In any event, thanks again for all this great music!

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

I'll lookinto that. I was not aware. Yes the Trieste overture is 11 pages!!

I'll lookinto that. I was not aware. Yes the Trieste overture is 11 pages!!
    Sheri--using the 'save as -- reduced size PDF' option shrunk the Trieste Overture file from 33mb down to 3mb (no apparent loss of image quality.)

Not looking to make your work any more difficult, but it might save you a lot of time while uploading to dropbox and for others downloading. BTW dropbox lets you download all the files together as a .zip file, so that is really handy.

Thank you so much for all your amazing selection and archival work--and for making these accessible to us.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Hey, thanks to everyone! It takes a village. I just reduced the Trieste PDF and will upload it to drop box, replacing the other.

32. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j8w9c8236...RPuRCZZta?dl=0

Just added another 25+ titles to the accordion folder. with updated Index. There are some classics here. Mando players will have no trouble reading the melodic line. Enjoy!

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

The accordion files are available in one document here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vr42c8xluu...files.pdf?dl=0

It's a 338 MB file that has filled up my dropbox folder, so I'll be taking it down soon - grab it now if you want it.

36. The following members say thank you to morgan for this post: