Thread: Elevated Fingerboard

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Default Elevated Fingerboard

I am curious if someone could explain the effect of an elevated fingerboard on a mandolin with an oval hole. This curiosity was prompted by the Brentrup Model 20 currently (and sadly) on hold in the classifieds: http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/80958. The description therein led me to a 1935 Gibson A0 that Charles Johnson has posted for sale: http://www.vintagemandolin.com/35gibsona4_fon785.html. How would the elevated fingerboard combined with a 12th fret body join influence tone? I'd appreciate any insight into this seemingly uncommon construction.

Thanks,
    Patrick
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Default Re: Elevated Fingerboard

I think the idea is simply that it leaves more area of the top free to resonate, same as on an F5. The 12th fret body join implies a shorter scale length, and therefore lower string tension.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    I think the idea is simply that it leaves more area of the top free to resonate, same as on an F5. The 12th fret body join implies a shorter scale length, and therefore lower string tension.
    The string length remains the same for a 12th fret neck joint or 15th. It just changes the bridge position

4. The following members say thank you to mandobassman for this post:

How does one go about deleting a post. I changed my mind, I don't want a post here but I am told by the little pop up box I need to have two characters or I can't save the edited post. I do have two characters, good or bad, depending on how much I've had to drink, but I fail to see the relevance of that to posts on the Cafe.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    I think the idea is simply that it leaves more area of the top free to resonate, same as on an F5.
    I would speculate the same, yet with the 12th fret body join, these instruments shouldn't produce the modern "hybrid" sound due to the shifted bridge. So why aren't these 30's Gibsons the holy grails of oval holes? And why wasn't I quicker to pounce on that Brentrup?
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Knew the Model 20 would go uber quick at that price. Unlike the Gibson you mentioned, it looked to me as though the Brentrup mandolin had a neck that joined a bit north of the 12th fret. I would love to hear the sound of it!

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Grommet View Post
    Unlike the Gibson you mentioned, it looked to me as though the Brentrup mandolin had a neck that joined a bit north of the 12th fret.
    My eyes see the same thing, although it is described as a 12th fret join: http://brentrupmandolinregistry.word...-20-prototype/
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5