Thread: Can't find a Mando case? Try a Ukulele case!

Default Can't find a Mando case? Try a Ukulele case!

I had to get a travel mando from Sam Ash the other day but they didn't have *any* mandolin cases - I had to carry it home on the back seat of my car.

However, I didn't leave the store without some case: I noticed that the Ukulele cases were about mandolin-sized, so I bought one (they gave me a slight discount) and the pictures show the results. I hacked away at the foam and turned it into a not-so-bad mando case.

The last step will be finding some thin black cloth that I can cover the white flaking styrofoam to keep it under control and make getting the mando in and out smoother.

But the fit is fine and it is very nicely protected.

Something to remember the next time you can't find a mando case.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6077.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	176.2 KB 
ID:	126118   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6079.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	130.6 KB 
ID:	126119   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6078.jpg 
Views:	430 
Size:	181.2 KB 
ID:	126120  

Default Re: Can't find a Mando case? Try a Ukulele case!

You have a good idea there, with the current popularity of the 'ukulele, there are many cases now available for the various odd sizes of uke - soprano (the basic old tiny one), concert, tenor, baritone, ones with 6, 8, ? strings, unusual shapes like pineapple or whatever, etc.

You should be able to find a uke case that would fit almost any mandolin except for bowl back models.

So far, I've never seen a bowl-back uke.

I've been using a resonator uke (yes they have them) case to carry a Cumbus banjo mandolin of mine. It works very well.

My Eastman mandola came in a case the size of a suitcase, not ideal for carrying around, I got a baritone uke gig bag from a local shop which fits it perfectly.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Registered User maudlin mandolin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

For some reason ukelele cases, especially expanded foam ones, are much cheaper than mandolin/mandola equivalents. I use a baritone ukelele case for my mandola having removed the foam "shoulders" which fit the ukelele shape. If you cut the cloth carefully above and at the sides of the foam shoulder and peel it back before cutting the foam off you should be able to glue the cloth back without the need for any extra.

Dmac great idea! How are you liking that Gretsch?
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

Blog Entries

Thanks for sharing this information Maudlinmandolin.

In SA we have Ukuleles much cheaper than mandolins so am sure the cases will also be. Though my Jbovier has it's case, I do need a case for my Crafter ovation style mandolin. For this one a Uke case may not work. So if I may do a tiny hijack here, if someone knows of cases for an ovation mandolin kindly advise, perhaps off line in my in box as not to hijack this topic.

Stay well all

Playing:
    Jbovier a5 2013;
    Crafter M70E acoustic mandolin
    Jbovier F5 mandola 2016

For some reason I didn't even think about hard shell uke cases, but I have been checking out uke gig bags for quite a while now. I've found many decent uke bags for much cheaper than an equivalent mando bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Anchors View Post
    Dmac great idea! How are you liking that Gretsch?
    I like it just fine - there were two in the store and I picked this one because the set-up was better and the other one had a slight buzz that resonated anywhere near A3 (probably from the truss rod). I put a new set of strings on it (Elixir Mediums) and it sounds good - balanced from low to high, sweet high notes, clear bass notes. It's a perfect mandolin for travel, and now I have a solid case that fits it, I'm ready!