Thread: The Blues

Default The Blues

This week's tutorial is up. I play through "Evening Prayer Blues" and discuss a few ideas about the use of blue notes.

Enjoy. And if you dig it *subscribe*. I'm taking on new Skype students. Stop by and say hello: www.zakborden.com

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zak borden For This Useful Post:

Default Re: The Blues

Very cool stuff Zak. I also play blues on the mando (and fiddle), but usually use an electric or resonator. I'm not as accomplished as you, but hey, it's all a journey. Rock on!
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.

Azk, I'm watching it now!
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

Blog Entries

Thank you, Zack. I love to play blues on the mando, and appreciate the opportunity to learn from you. Thanks for posting this video.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Quote Originally Posted by lflngpicker View Post
    Thank you, Zack. I love to play blues on the mando, and appreciate the opportunity to learn from you. Thanks for posting this video.
    Thanks y'all! I'll be doing another one taking blues around all 12 keys in December. Stay tuned.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zak borden For This Useful Post:

Thanks Zaque!

Looking forward to getting to grips with this. Thanks, Zak.

Blog Entries

Zak: Thanks. Good lesson. One small, humble suggestion: When you're talking about chords, or more important, scales--a chart would help. A mando fretboard is so small that it simply isn't possible to tell whether your fingers are on the 3rd fret or 4th, 1st string or second. It's not just you--I had all kinds of teachers with large hands and small, and I could never tell where those fingertips were. Anyway, good video, and great subject.
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

11. The following members say thank you to belbein for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by belbein View Post
    Zak: Thanks. Good lesson. One small, humble suggestion: When you're talking about chords, or more important, scales--a chart would help. A mando fretboard is so small that it simply isn't possible to tell whether your fingers are on the 3rd fret or 4th, 1st string or second. It's not just you--I had all kinds of teachers with large hands and small, and I could never tell where those fingertips were. Anyway, good video, and great subject.
    Hey cool. Thanks for that suggestion. On a bunch of the others I have a close-up "picture in picture" window for certain chords. But I'll remember to add that feature more often and perhaps charts as well.

I welcome any and all suggestions to make these things the best they can be. These clips are partly tests for a much more involved E-course I'll be offering in 2015. So let it rip!!

Cheers, Zak

I appreciate what you're doing Zak. Keep up the good work!