Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: eBay seller refuses return - what would you do?

Default Re: eBay seller refuses return - what would you do?

My experience has been that if a seller has sold a lot of higher priced instruments without negative feedback then they probably have a good idea how to describe them and ship them properly. If they haven't then I'd be cautious. There are a lot of people flipping stuff they get at flea markets, estate sales or garage sales that don't understand how to describe or package an instrument for shipping. A 100% feedback rating on selling 5000 trinkets doesn't mean much when it comes to selling an expensive, vintage instrument for the first time.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Let me know if this goes on much longer without the seller being cooperative. I know a guy, he knows some people, they get things done, end of story. You know what I mean? No problem.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

I remember this instrument on ebay. It's not really a question of whether you are justified to return something that is damaged or not as described (I would say you are). It sounds like you want it, would like to keep it and use it. That being the case, unless there has been any structural damage, I think you will probably be glad in the long run you didn't return it.

Having the instrument jammed forcibly into a case longways makes me cringe a little, as I have seen instruments damaged and even completely ruined by trauma along the end-to-end axis, even when properly cased. On the other hand, if this one was never dropped or experienced sharp impact, it could well be fine. I would look really carefully at the headstock bend, neck-body joint, and the body for any signs of cracks, dipping of the top, loosening of braces, that end-to-end pressure might have caused.

If possible have a guitar or mandolin tech look it over carefully to hopefully ease your concerns. The position of these finish cracks - back of the neck just below the headstock, near the neck joint, and on the top next to the FB, all seem to me what could be expected it there was strain/force applied along the neck axis, and some force of the FB rotating into the top. But if it was limited to a little finish damage (which is likely to occur in time due to other factors), I wouldn't be too concerned.
    Jeff Rohrbough
    "Listen louder, play softer"

Quote Originally Posted by thistle3585 View Post
    My experience has been that if a seller has sold a lot of higher priced instruments without negative feedback then they probably have a good idea how to describe them and ship them properly. If they haven't then I'd be cautious. There are a lot of people flipping stuff they get at flea markets, estate sales or garage sales that don't understand how to describe or package an instrument for shipping. A 100% feedback rating on selling 5000 trinkets doesn't mean much when it comes to selling an expensive, vintage instrument for the first time.
    This is true but if your buying via an auction you might find that what you are looking for is a better deal dealing with an "amateur" ebayer than a professional. I stumbled on a pile of top of the line vintage radio test equipment--old General Radio stuff that formerly belonged to RCA --probably the best in the world in it's day and I have done some research and have seen what pros who deal with this stuff are asking. I don't know anything about radio test equipment -don't know if it's working properly or what to do with it if it was. I will list it and will be happy with a price well below what I have been seeing these things sell for. By that I mean there is about 4 or $5000 worth of stuff here if I go by the prices that dealers are asking, but I assume they are selling something that is in working order. If I got a grand out of what I have I'd be happy as a clam! Some people do this with musical instruments --but not the people that do it everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by barney 59 View Post
    This is true but if your buying via an auction you might find that what you are looking for is a better deal dealing with an "amateur" ebayer than a professional.

I made the mistake of announcing an absolute eBay bargain a few years back on another hobby forum; I bought two items for wayyy less than their worth, realised it on receipt and relisted immediately - and quadrupled my price on resale seven days later. I was then accused of being the unacceptable face of Capitalism by another forum member….
    However re the OP - if you’re going to argue your case, do it sooner rather the later to avoid accusations of causing the damage yourself. As other wiser posters have said - if you want to keep it and have it repaired, go ahead; if not then eBay will probably side with you and get a refund.
    "Danger! Do Not Touch!" must be one of the scariest things to read in Braille....