Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Punch Brothers Album

Blog Entries

Default Re: New Punch Brothers Album

I have never perceived Chris Thile as moving in a direction as much as doing this and then doing that and then doing the other thing. So this song is something else he has done.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    We'll see what the rest sounds like.
    Good point, we have only heard one song, who knows.

The entire staff
    funny....

Not sure if this is an album track. It's just a new song, not forthcoming single. I also wasn't bowled over by it. CT did a Twitter q and a last night and I asked him if the new album is PB's version of Deceiver, based on the songs sound. He said " I would say no." So I'll wait and see.

I just got Punch Brothers tickets for the Nashville (Ryman) show in February. Looking forward to it!

My initial thought when I heard the drums was that PB had jumped the shark. I'm hoping that the rest of the collection doesn't rely on that sound as much. I actually like to hear CTs, NPs and the other band members playing their strings, squeaks and all.
    Steve Lavelle
    '93 Flatiron Performer F
    Customized Eastwood Mandocaster (8str)

I'd be worried if they pleased me with a first listen. And I love them for never doing so.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeroen For This Useful Post:

After getting over the initial shock of the first listen it is growing on me. I like a lot of what Thile and the Punch Brothers do. I've seen the PBs in concert several times over the last few years along with Thile in his various musical forms/groups. Just stellar musicians all the way around. I also like a lot of what T-Bone Burnett produces. But.....they both, Thile and T-Bone, have the ability to get "out there" a ways. Definitely looking forward to hearing the whole recording!

9. The following members say thank you to sgarrity for this post:

For the most part, this whole thread sounds like geezers really in a regular rut. "GRRR". LOL.

Clearly, it's not aimed at traditionalists, I'd bet.
    And its played by professionals that would appear to have a lot more of finger on the pulse of the current interests in music, as appalling and unorthodox as that would seem to me to be around here.

Nor is it likely aimed at a bunch of 50 year old+ mandolinists.

And, imho, this reflects to some extent the same old BS that some of us hate, ie, that 'Bill wudent have played it that way', or, that mandolin=bluegrass.

I would like to think, that PB truly takes it's own musical direction, but needs to sell its product, and as sagely observed, 50+ mandolinists and BG police aren't the demographic.

I could also understand that they might like a bit of commercial success coming from a musical niche that a mouse wouldn't fit into.

I have yet to be disappointed by CT and PB. And, based on past offerings, imho, there are always some tunes on every album that take more time than others to dig. PB albums are usually rather diverse, and not thematic or homogenous in sound.

It often takes a couple of times listening to better understand what is being offered.

and yet, as usual not a word of praise for CT not gyrating on this video, to further offend The Chosen.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stevedenver For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by stevedenver View Post
    Well why not?

Tune doesn't bother me....I hear shades of Beach Boys and Paul McCartney in there. Rest assured Da Brother's can tear up the TRAD at a moments notice.

13. The following members say thank you to Perry for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Perry View Post
    Well why not?

Tune doesn't bother me....I hear shades of Beach Boys and Paul McCartney in there. Rest assured Da Brother's can tear up the TRAD at a moments notice.
    My issue is not with the tune, since I think Movement and Location is the greatest song since the Beatles were recording. What I don't like is the instruments are lost in the mix, which is not a typical PB recording. Reminds of some of the Anti-Fogmatic stuff. Listen, If I judged Punch by Punchbowl and Who's Feeling Young Now by A Hundred Dollars, I would have written them off. I trust them.

In CT I trust. Have tickets for the Asheville show.

Like stevedenver, I get a kick out of these threads. It seems like Bill Monroe can do no wrong and Chris Thile can hardly get a break around here. To be totally honest, I'm not much of a Punch Brothers or Bill Monroe fan ~ but I do like Thile's Bach album and a few of his solo/collaboration works a great deal.

In regards to the new song ~ I didn't listen the whole way through ...
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

16. The following members say thank you to Denman John for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    That ain't the way Bill woulda played it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000000 bill monroe meme1a.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	127.5 KB 
ID:	126567

Name:	000000 bill monroe meme1.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	143.0 KB 
ID:	126568

Name:	000000 bill monroe meme1aa.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	150.6 KB 
ID:	126569

I've finally started to appreciate Monroe and his music a bit more than when I first joined this site, and if that has taught me anything, it's that the supposed "bluegrass police" and his actual ideals contradict in every way possible.

It's actually really funny how hyperbolic the two are, and if more people who weren't into the early bluegrassers knew a bit more of the actual people and not the distorted views that their followers project onto them, then I think that there would be a lot less discourse between bluegrass and other genres as well as the subgroups within bluegrass.

Hell, Bill Monroe was the reason--and often the direct influence--for many artists to branch out and try progressive bluegrass or other bluegrass-inspired derivatives, yet people seem to think that this is a disrespect to Bill, when it was exactly what he wanted. A quote that is rarely attributed to him is as follows: "I was determined to carve out a music of my own; I didn't want to copy anybody." I can only imagine that he wanted others to embody the spirit of this quote as well.

--Tom

Bill was an enigma wrapped in contradiction, that's for sure. When Wakefield showed Monroe that he could play his solos note for note, The Mon instructed him to go get his own style.

Thile has been maturing as a musician, exponentially the last 5-8 years, all while trying to remain economically viable and make a living at this. Personally I think Thile has come to appreciate Bill more as well. I feel more passion in Thile's playing the last handful of years.

Blog Entries

I was gonna listen but, eh...I blew it off...
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

20. The following members say thank you to John Hill for this post:

The song is growing on me....

For the most part, this whole thread sounds like geezers really in a regular rut. "GRRR". LOL.

Clearly, it's not aimed at traditionalists, I'd bet.
    And its played by professionals that would appear to have a lot more of finger on the pulse of the current interests in music, as appalling and unorthodox as that would seem to me to be around here.

And, imho, this reflects to some extent the same old BS that some of us hate, ie, that 'Bill wudent have played it that way', or, that mandolin=bluegrass.

I would like to think, that PB truly takes it's own musical direction, but needs to sell its product, and as sagely observed, 50+ mandolinists and BG police aren't the demographic.

I could also understand that they might like a bit of commercial success coming from a musical niche that a mouse wouldn't fit into.

I have yet to be disappointed by CT and PB. And, based on past offerings, imho, there are always some tunes on every album that take more time than others to dig. PB albums are usually rather diverse, and not thematic or homogenous in sound.

It often takes a couple of times listening to better understand what is being offered.

and yet, as usual not a word of praise for CT not gyrating on this video, to further offend The Chosen.
    I don't think you have to be a bluegrass police officer or a senior citizen to not like this music. It's very out there and eccentric. I love plenty of music that doesn't sound like Bill Monroe, just not this music. But if people like it, that's cool, I'm sure I like plenty of stuff that you don't like, doesn't really bother me, I'm just sharing my opinion.
    "When you learn an old time fiddle tune, you make a friend for life"

Ha ha ha......

"You won't hear any drums or electric guitars on a Punch Brothers album, but that's not due to any hidebound notions of bluegrass purism. Witcher says the band just appreciates the versatility of acoustic instruments, and they're not interested in pounding out the rhythm on a drumset. "Drums are like a fascist regime," he says. "Once the drums are in, that's basically all you hear." "

From last year.....

http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/c...nt?oid=4634971

Quote Originally Posted by LongBlackVeil View Post
    I don't think you have to be a bluegrass police officer or a senior citizen to not like this music. It's very out there and eccentric. I love plenty of music that doesn't sound like Bill Monroe, just not this music. But if people like it, that's cool, I'm sure I like plenty of stuff that you don't like, doesn't really bother me, I'm just sharing my opinion.
    The only music I don't care for is screamer hate death metal, most of the time, and ....most Klezmer, although I have been surprised at times.......

I would listen first and likely a second time. I think this is important with music and art. Sometimes it is the fact of being different than before which makes it progress.

I took more issue with the seeming shut down many had, not even listening to the entire piece before coming to a conclusion. My take, was, right or wrong, a bit of closed mindedness when it comes to PB and CT. God forbid what the comments would be if he still played Rigel instead of a Loar or Dude....l no part a nuthin......

Registered User Atlanta Mando Mike's Avatar

Drums or not I really don't see it as a big departure musically. Interested to hear the rest of the record

Sounds like pop crap to me......
    Not what i'm lookin' for..

Blog Entries

What's amazing to me is that CT does everything so well. I mean, what I like or don't like reflects my tastes at the moment, which are malleable and unevenly informed, but there is never in my mind a question, Chris hits it out of the park every time.

Chris Thile is better at music than I will ever be at anything. (I stole that line from a chess movie actually, but its true.)

The entire staff
    funny....

I think the people that say "Bill wouldn't a played it like that" are joking, or at least I hope so. I like a healthy percentage of their music, although it has taken time to grow on me. Some are a miss for me. That was a miss (for me)... mainly because Bill wouldn't have played it that way.

My take, was, right or wrong, a bit of closed mindedness when it comes to PB and CT.
    Amen.

I hear shades of Coldplay. I don't see it as a bluegrass influenced tune. I thought it was well done and I liked it although its not ideally what I would like to hear from these excellent musicians. I am sure that they all have very eclectic musical influences and enjoy exploring them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Delaware View Post
    Drums are like a fascist regime," he says. "Once the drums are in, that's basically all you hear.
    Well now that's a little strong...and wrong. We all know banjos are the fascist regimes of musical instruments. Once the banjo is in, that's basically all you hear.

Ol' Gabe needs to listen to better drummers is that's what he really thinks. And Dawg obviously disagrees with him.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.