Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ISO 1885-1900 Italian mando w/Tipaldi Brothers label

Default Re: ISO 1885-1900 Italian mando w/Tipaldi Brothers label

I'll be visiting parents in CT Nov. 20-26. Doubt I'll get to the city, but if I do, you'll be the first to know...

~Lorraine

ps: 2 other places I love for info are The NY Historical Society and The Museum of the City of New York.

I found some reference about the Melody Kings on the Virtual Gramophone site from Canada which has a large archive of recordings.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

3. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

I am doing some research into the history of the mandolin in Australia and just found the following article in the Brisbane Courier on 16 August 1911 titled "The Mandolin":
    “The mandolin has again come into popularity across the Atlantic. For years the instrument suffered in the United States from the natural relaxation following the furor attendant upon its first introduction to musical and society critics. Two brothers Dominick and Frank Tipaldi, now living in New York City, formally introduced the mandolin bringing it from their native Naples in 1874. Society at once "took up" the new instrument with its polite piquant harmonies, and legions of the upper social strata swarmed around the Professors Tipaldi, to be initiated into the melodious mysteries of the thin bone pick.”

Can anyone vouch for the accuracy of this?
    Source: THE MANDOLIN. (1911, August 16). The Brisbane Courier (Qld. : 1864 - 1933), p. 14 Supplement: Courier Home Circle.. Retrieved August 2, 2015, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article19701796

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

Always good to see another Australian doing mandolin research! I am sure there would have been Italian mandolin players around New York before the Spanish Students arrived in 1880, but it sounds a little optimistic that Society 'swarmed' around them until the 1890s when the mandolin craze took off

Cheers

Sheri Mignano Crawford Mandophile's Avatar

http://digitalcollections.nypl.org/c...sh#/?tab=about

Now that the NYPL digitized their ancient maps, you can find any address. Easy Peasy! It has made it possible to verify all sorts of dubious addresses for my book. Love technology!

7. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

Take a look here for possible photos. It is a bit early but who knows.
    https://www.oldnyc.org/

9. The following members say thank you to Nevin for this post:

Good Morning Mandolin Forum!

Sorry I haven't been able to keep up, it's been a couple of years and lots has happened, but I'm back. I wanted to let some of you know that I'll be in NYC August 10-11 to do more research on my Great Grandfather Domenico Tipaldi and his Mandolin Orchestra. I would love to meet anyone who might be available either of those days, if possible. I hope to visit addresses where his homes and shops were, too. Maybe find a mandolin...

I hope to hear from you and would look forward to meeting and showing my photos of him and the orchestra.
    Thanks and Ciao!
    ~Lorraine Tipaldi

Quote Originally Posted by Lorraine Tipaldi View Post
    Sorry I haven't been able to keep up, it's been a couple of years and lots has happened, but I'm back. I wanted to let some of you know that I'll be in NYC August 10-11 to do more research on my Great Grandfather Domenico Tipaldi and his Mandolin Orchestra. I would love to meet anyone who might be available either of those days, if possible. I hope to visit addresses where his homes and shops were, too. Maybe find a mandolin...
    Sad to say that is my one time this month when I will not be around. I am not sure who you should contact but possibly one of th curator at the Metropolitan Museum. Jayson Dobney (I hope I remember his name correctly) was curator of the Guitar Heroes exhibit at the Met which featured some older instruments like bowlback mandolins made in New York and Italy.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

In case you are unaware of the Library of Congress website (catalog.loc.gov), I've recently cataloged seven pieces of sheet music by "D. Tipaldi" ... I assume this must be Domenico. If you search "tipaldi mandolin" (without the quotes) you'll find them. -- mandogio

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe Bartl For This Useful Post:

I did contact Jayson, we've spoken before. I hope to get to see him. Sorry I'll miss you, Jim. Hope all is well. Maybe I'll catch you next time. Best wishes,
    ~Lorraine

Thanks, it's been awhile since I looked there. I'll check it out again. I have one of his books of music with a sketch of him inside. Is that something I need to catalogue?
    ~Lorraine

I believe that you will find this interesting.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Complete Method for the Mandolin, Domenico Tipaldi.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	486.2 KB 
ID:	199333

- - - Updated - - -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	position of player.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	454.8 KB 
ID:	199334

and one more. I have the book fully in tact.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Manner of holding the mandolin.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	574.3 KB 
ID:	199335

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gary S For This Useful Post: