Thread: Other software like band in a box

Default Other software like band in a box

Howdy,

In terms of software that rapidly spits out a harmony line if you input the melody line, do you all have other suggestions besides (cheaper) than Band in The Box?

Thanks,
    Patrick

Default Re: Other software like band in a box

I'd recommend an app called iReal Pro. It's available for IOS, Android and Mac OS.
    The sounds and rhythm patterns are a little more basic than bib, but there' a phletora of songs in their community forum and you can easily program (and upload) songs yourself.
    Very helpful to me to play along or practice....

Edit: Sorry, Patrick, I re-read your post: iReal Pro can only provide chord and rhythm accompaniment, not second voices.....

Just following up here. If I could have it all my way I could use PC software to:

Enter notes on tab, tell it what key I'm in, and then it could tell me what baritone harmony (below melody by a third) and tenor harmony (above melody by a third), also in Tab.

Does Band in the box do this?

I've tried Tabledit but those harmony tools (natural and artificial) don't give me the right notes or choices. This seems very doable to me, programatically that is.

Thanks,
    Patrick

I use band in the box to provide chords and rhythm when I am learning something new. I find band in the box to be way more sophisticated then what I need. I suspect that it doesn't do tab, only standard notation. I bought BinB through Sweetwater, and found the tech staff to be very knowledgeable; might be worth a call to them to get your questions answered.

When working out harmonies, I use the Amazing Slow Downer ($50). It slows down the tempo but keeps the pitch. It has really improved my knowledge of the neck and shifting. Also, because I have to figure out the harmony for myself, it has really improved my ear and my knowledge of intervals.

I've not heard of iReal Pro. I'll check that out.

Hope this helps.

Tim Wilson