Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: musings re. bass at jams, electricity, and carved vs. flat tops

Default Re: musings re. bass at jams, electricity, and carved vs. flat to

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I have never seen an acoustic bass guitar at a jam. Not that I would have any feelings about it either way, I would in fact be fine with it. I just haven't seen many acoustic bass guitars at all, and the one's I have seen were in concerts and such.

I think an electric bass, or electric guitar, or even an electric mandolin for that matter, would not be encouraged at a jam.

I know of a couple of jam venues where there is a piano and a string bass there in the room for anyone who comes in to play. I have a piano (and I don't play piano) for this very reason, and I have considered getting a dog house bass as well, just to have on hand for those so inclined.
    That would be unless maybe they had twice as many musicians so Electric Versions of those instruments would allow you to play twice as loud

Normally Electric Instruments are easier to play cause they have lighter strings, thinner necks & easier action which helps. Electrophonic makes Electric Guitars w/ Built in Amps so how about an Electrophonic Electric Mandolin.

They worked around the volume issue of those Acoustic Bass Guitars by making the ribs a little deeper