Thread: Switching Strings

Question Switching Strings

I just purchased a used Warren Ellis electric tenor off Craigslist. The previous owner has it strung up like a ukelele with a GCEA tuning. I haven't decided if I want to switch it to the traditional CGDA or like an octave GDAE. I have some OM strings here which are 12, 22, 32, and 46 in gauges. Would these work for a GDAE tuning for this guitar? What would you all recommend for gauges? For the CGDA, it looks like I can use the D'Addario J66 package. Thanks!
    Be true to your teeth, or they'll be false to you!

Default Re: Switching Strings

Should work. Eastwood specifies 10/14/22/32 for CGDA on their website. Yours gauges for GDAE are in the ballpark:

len 23"

E4 .012" PL == 19.0#
    A3 .022" NW == 24.36#
    D3 .032" NW == 22.86#
    G2 .046" NW == 20.12#
    total == 86.34#

A4 .010" PL == 23.5#
    D4 .014" PL == 20.52#
    G3 .022" NW == 19.34#
    C3 .032" NW == 18.15#
    Total == 81.51#

FWIW, Eastwood's gauges look a little light in the bass, but I haven't tried the instrument.

(results from: http://bangzero.org/stringtension/ )

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetpea44 View Post
    I just purchased a used Warren Ellis electric tenor off Craigslist. The previous owner has it strung up like a ukelele with a GCEA tuning. I haven't decided if I want to switch it to the traditional CGDA or like an octave GDAE. I have some OM strings here which are 12, 22, 32, and 46 in gauges. Would these work for a GDAE tuning for this guitar? What would you all recommend for gauges? For the CGDA, it looks like I can use the D'Addario J66 package. Thanks!
    That D'Addario set is for an acoustic, so the C and G strings are bronze wound - not what I would use on an electric instrument. You'll need nickel wound strings for this electric (the string tensions above are for NW strings).

Thanks for the help .... yeah I think my OM strings are bronze wound too. I probably won't plug it in too often at first. I got it mainly to have something quieter to practice on while kids were napping .... and it was a good deal. Does anyone make a pre-packaged set of strings in nickel wound?
    Be true to your teeth, or they'll be false to you!