Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Humidipak - WARNING

Default Humidipak - WARNING

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Humidipak.jpg 
Views:	2555 
Size:	144.2 KB 
ID:	126712

Humidipaks can leak, and may damage wood.

This morning I found a mess (see photo) on a shelf in my music room where I had stored about 20 Humidipak envelopes, some in the black cloth pouches.

If this had been inside an instrument or case...

I generally like Planet Waves products. These Humidipaks were over two years old, but they were sitting undisturbed on a shelf and the outer paper envelope apparently just dissolved and leaked, a lot. I don't think the contents are corrosive, but 100% humidity maintained on the surface of wood causes finish damage, warping, blistering and delamination, mold growth, and more.

If I still lived in a climate requiring winter humidification, or summer de-humidification, I would consider Humidipaks. They are convenient, effective, generally not messy, (and expensive). But I'd take the following precautions:

- check frequently in the case or instrument to find trouble early; do not set and forget over the winter or store indefinitely

- if the Humidipak contents crystallize, throw it away and don't try to recharge in a steamy shower room for instance to extend the life and save some bucks; the sharp crystals can cut the paper envelope leading to leakage

- once you open the foil packaging, write the date on the Humidipak and discard it after a year, even if the contents still seem the proper peanut butter or paste consistency; the paper envelope can rot over time and then leak.

There have not been many recent posts about problems with Humidipaks since the improved version was introduced around 2008. I believe all my Humidipaks were the new version.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MandoAblyss For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Humidipak - WARNING

Thank you for the heads up....I bought 6 humidpacks last spring and just checked on them....one is leaking like a sieve! Thank God I hadn't put it in the case.

Not going to take any chances with the rest of them. Think I'll get a couple Oasis type - a guy a pick with swears by them and trust them in his Collings Ds.

MM

Quote Originally Posted by MandoAblyss View Post

This morning I found a mess (see photo) on a shelf in my music room where I had stored about 20 Humidipak envelopes, some in the black cloth pouches.

I generally like Planet Waves products. These Humidipaks were over two years old, but they were sitting undisturbed on a shelf and the outer paper envelope apparently just dissolved and leaked, a lot. I don't think the contents are corrosive, but 100% humidity maintained on the surface of wood causes finish damage, warping, blistering and delamination, mold growth, and more.

If I still lived in a climate requiring winter humidification, or summer de-humidification, I would consider Humidipaks. They are convenient, effective, generally not messy, (and expensive). But I'd take the following precautions:

- check frequently in the case or instrument to find trouble early; do not set and forget over the winter or store indefinitely

- if the Humidipak contents crystallize, throw it away and don't try to recharge in a steamy shower room for instance to extend the life and save some bucks; the sharp crystals can cut the paper envelope leading to leakage

- once you open the foil packaging, write the date on the Humidipak and discard it after a year, even if the contents still seem the proper peanut butter or paste consistency; the paper envelope can rot over time and then leak.

There have not been many recent posts about problems with Humidipaks since the improved version was introduced around 2008. I believe all my Humidipaks were the new version.

Quote Originally Posted by MandoAblyss View Post

Hello MandoAblyss, I'm the Business Development Director at Boveda. I noticed your post and I wanted to help you out. Sorry for the leakers, I'd like to do my best to correct the problem.

While we have 200% quality control with human hands, some seal issues or punctures can happen between our factory and where they're packaged for D'Addario. Failures are exceedingly rare, but they can happen when we have a fluid inside a pouch.

I'd like to send you replacements for the leakers. And if happen to still have any of that batch, please locate the 3 or 4 digit code printed in black on the back, above the RH. This will let me know what formula it is, one of which did have a tendency for sharp edges of the contents, an issue we've corrected in the last 12 months.

Please PM me your address and number of damaged packs and I'll get them out to you. Again, these will be an updated formula direct from our factory, so they'll be perfect for the usual dependable service!

Cheers! Charlie

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CPRSquared For This Useful Post:

I may be in a minority here, but I NEVER PUT ANYTHING WET OR DAMP anywhere near my instruments. It scares me. Humidifiers, sponges, etc., all sound very well intentioned, but you are asking for leaks, stains, or more serious damage, IMHO. Nothing but a marketing gimmick that came out 30 or so years ago....and I cringed then, too. I don't want to damage my case, let alone my instrument!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Mando For This Useful Post:

I keep wet, damp things away from my instruments too. I have had a few humidipaks leak, usually old ones. Recently I was going thru my cases since the weather has turned dry and discovered one of my oasis is leaking. I keep it in the case and it's not near the mandolin but I'll be replacing that as well. I may just go back to a sponge or damp-it to avoid any disasters. Also looking into getting a small humidifier for the room, would help me as well as humidity has gone from around 50 to 30% so I'm feeling it too.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

I'm 2 Blocks South of the Columbia River Estuary .. lack of humidity is not an issue.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I don't humidify either. nice public service OP though.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

11. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

Boveda and D'Addario (Planet Waves) truly stand behind their humidity control product and have contacted me.

Turns out both the hygroscopic contents and outer membrane have been improved since I bought mine years ago and now the sound hole suspension pouch is constructed from liquid-proof but vapor-permeable Goretex. I am reassured that a leak is significantly less likely.

The "Planet Waves Humidipak for Guitars" video at http://www.bovedainc.com/videos/ explains the evolution of the new product very well.

13. The following members say thank you to MandoAblyss for this post:

Just had this happen INSIDE my Martin D-35 last week and in communication with D'Addario. I use a sponge in a film canister with holes and a Dampit for my mandolin, but tried this for my guitar since I'm in the midwest and super dry here in winter. Bought it in fall 2015 and it worked well. Then, one of the bags in the replacements I bought 3 weeks ago leaked and made a real mess. D'Addario has been responsive so far and said they will make it right.

I have concerns about what will happen to the bracing and kerfing over time. So, lots of unknowns still.

Name:	overall2 (1).jpg 
Views:	1365 
Size:	744.4 KB 
ID:	144211
    David Mehaffey
    -------------------------------
    ...I wonder how the old folks are at home...

15. The following members say thank you to David M. for this post:

Damn, I just spent a fortune on humidipaks and the envelopes to try and maintain a finicky Taylor. This does not make me all warm and fuzzy inside. They haven't been opened, I might just return them.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

17. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Another reason to humidify the house instead of every instrument.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pops1 For This Useful Post:

I can't believe those things are still on the market. I had a Larrivee guitar that was ruined by those humidipaks a number of years ago. D'Addario made good on it (and paid for me to replace the instrument), but you would think they would have totally pulled the product by now.
    PJ Doland
    1923 Gibson Snakehead A

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PJ Doland For This Useful Post:

Americanadian Andrew B. Carlson's Avatar

Haven't had a sponge baggie leak yet. Wring em out till they don't drip, and it's 'virtually' impossible to have leak.
    Mandolin, Guitar, & Bass for Doug Rawling & The Caraganas
    www.dougrawling.com
    2008 Kentucky KM-1000
    2014 Martin D-28 Authentic 1937
    1964 Gibson LG-0
    2022 Sigma SDR-45VS

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andrew B. Carlson For This Useful Post:

An old thread resurrected, but pretty timely buy the looks of it. It's a bit of a 'Schrodinger's cat' situation - until you open the case,you don't know what state your mandolin is going to be in. Best leave 'em on the outside ?,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

25. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

I have a specific humidifier for my guitar. in many of my cases I took one of my wax applicator pads (auto detailer here) and wet them and put inside a ziploc bag with holes punctured. just check them now and again to see if it is damp. The Taylor guitar I have is the one I have to watch most as well...
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Doland View Post
    I can't believe those things are still on the market. I had a Larrivee guitar that was ruined by those humidipaks a number of years ago. D'Addario made good on it (and paid for me to replace the instrument), but you would think they would have totally pulled the product by now.
    Actually D' Addario doesn't make them (they market one model) and they aren't just used in the musical instrument world. A Taylor repair shop I took mine too suggested them. I'd never heard of them.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

darn. just bought a few of these a few days ago.
    Weber Black Ice F
    Gretsch Vintage F Oval hole
    Washburn A, Oval hole Mandola
    Weber Black Ice F Octave Mandolin

I had an Oasis for my guitar and loved it, until it ruptured and left water marks.
    My guitar now has a planet waves. They are easier when it comes to preventing leaks, by allowing one to remove the sponge and meter the dampness.
    My mandolin has a Dampit. It's easy to shake out excess moisture to guard against leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by David M. View Post
    Just had this happen INSIDE my Martin D-35 last week and in communication with D'Addario. I use a sponge in a film canister with holes and a Dampit for my mandolin, but tried this for my guitar since I'm in the midwest and super dry here in winter. Bought it in fall 2015 and it worked well. Then, one of the bags in the replacements I bought 3 weeks ago leaked and made a real mess. D'Addario has been responsive so far and said they will make it right.

I have concerns about what will happen to the bracing and kerfing over time. So, lots of unknowns still.

Name:	overall2 (1).jpg 
Views:	1365 
Size:	744.4 KB 
ID:	144211
    UPDATE: Well, the guitar was able to be cleaned up by my very articulate luthier. He removed the pickup and cleaned it up, then vacuumed and wiped until the particles in the guitar were gone. I haven't seen it yet, but he said it looks OK, but has some leeched staining. Doesn't see any structural or exterior finish issues (yet, at least).

D'Addario is in the process of payment to the music store and I hope it doesn't go too long because they won't release the guitar until payment.

These things are made for D'Addario by Boveda and big in the cigar/tobacco and food storage industry.
    David Mehaffey

Blog Entries

I too am thankful for the post and the resurrection thereof. Taylor Guitars encourages humidification strongly, so I did so thinking it was important to maintain the warranty relationship. I am so glad that not all of you subscribe to this practice. My 40 year old, top of the line, Guild D55 has never had such treatment in my so cal home and I have had no issues of any kind with the top, seams, bridge. I am removing my Humidipacks from my instrument cases as we speak.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Shredded Cheese Authority Emmett Marshall's Avatar

I've been using these "Boveda" humipacks for a few years and never had one leak. I hope that my luck continues to hold out.
    Weber F5 Bitteroot Octave - "...romantic and very complicated."
    My instruments professionally maintained by...RSW
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7UmUX68KtE

If we can be of any additional service or you do have issue with our Two Way Humidification System, please let us know. You can email me directly - don.dawson2@daddario.com

Update: Finally got the D-35 back from the shop and the tech cleaned it as well as he could. Still VERY evident and looks like greasy stains inside. Now, the lacquer on the outside of the body feels like it's cracking at the binding. Martin indicated that if any issues ever happen that are at all related to this, the warranty is void. Looks like I'm going to have to have more conversations with D'Addario and/or Boveda.
    David Mehaffey

David, what a shame! Trying to take care of a valued instrument and it bit you.
    It appears that Mr. Dawson is trying to make things right but, damage is damage and things may never really be "right",you will always think about it.
    I feel for you.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

36. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by David M. View Post
    Update: Finally got the D-35 back from the shop and the tech cleaned it as well as he could. Still VERY evident and looks like greasy stains inside. Now, the lacquer on the outside of the body feels like it's cracking at the binding. Martin indicated that if any issues ever happen that are at all related to this, the warranty is void. Looks like I'm going to have to have more conversations with D'Addario and/or Boveda.
    David - i sent you an email further to your note. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.