Thread: More Italian Ballo Liscio (Bb Clarinet)

Sheri Mignano Crawford Mandophile's Avatar

Default More Italian Ballo Liscio (Bb Clarinet)

As I dig through containers, I had forgotten about my stash of 100-year old Pagani sheet music (about 16 pieces) written for Bb Clarinet. Keep in mind that clarinets sound a full step lower than the note being read on the sheet music.

Now you might say "What?" but these are wonderful solo pieces and when read by "C" instruments like the mandolin, violin, accordion, flute etc, well, they're just wonderful. Most of the keys are
    mando-friendly: G and C. So, take a look and I think you'll agree about the virtuosic potential. Some of these titles were originally mandolin-centric pieces transposed later for clarinet (a strong lead instrument) for dance bands.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4y6yuufof...0ymhDHska?dl=0
    Last edited by Mandophile; Nov-23-2014 at 7:57pm. Reason: accidentally hit the save button while typing.

2. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

Default Re: More Italian Ballo Liscio (Bb Clarinet)

Thanks - I have a clarinet playing buddy that can use this music.

Nice - thanks. I presume these tunes were originally all also available in the standard two-mandos-and-guitar settings, notated at pitch. However, where the mandolin editions didn't survive, the clarinet parts should work fine as mandolin solo instrumentals. If we had the guitar chords, we could use these as lead sheets. I need to get better at harmonic theory (or alternatively at ear training) so that I can figure out chord progressions that suit the tunes.

Martin

As I haven't perused Pagani as thoroughly as di Bella, I could only find a few of these Bb clarinet titles that seem to be published first as M1,M2,G Trios. Part of the reason why I haven't been able to confirm more titles is that I lack any definitive Pagani music catalogs and the Pagani music catalogs are hard to come by. OTOH, I have all the complete di Bella catalogs.

6. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

Sheri: I have these listings for over 300 of the 2 Mandolin & Guitar Pagani works. See attached. I don't know if this helps or not. It is hard to find individual pieces since it is by the number instead of alphabetical.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pagani_2mandoGtrList.pdf  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Yes, thanks. I have various editions but they're not complete and contain huge gaps in the numbering system. The ones I do have were uploaded with the Pagani titles. What I need is the complete catalog and that may not exist. So I'm mending together various ones. That'll have to do for now. The Deffners may still have the complete catalog but they're not sharing. ;-)

You are talking about the complete catalog for all instruments? It looks like what I posted has all the listings for 2 mandolins & guitars?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Yes, while that one does appear complete, it isn't. I have this sheet and a 2nd sheet posted as well in the Drop Box. but neither seems to appear as the definitive catalog, alas. I wish it were the complete catalog. It would have helped in assigning all the numbers.

The Bb clarinet tunes are compiled into one document here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/96szqammw1...piled.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sdu1c2ton...Ej8iRBRfa?dl=0

Hi, Here's the link to the Clarinet folder.I just added 4 more titles. These are all compositions by Gerardo Iasilli, published by Apollo Music co.